Toast Welcome to Fit Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll have a go. I'm pathetically weak though, so I'll be doing my pushups against the wall or on my knees.

Still sitting around the 79kg mark, when for my height I should be not much more than 64kg. I've joined the gym at Flinders Uni in the last few weeks, and have a fitness assessment on Tuesday, so that will hopefully start to get my exercise sorted. Then just to do something about my penchant for over-snacking.

The great thing about this game, is that you can suit it to your own needs. I'm not competing against any of you, i'm competing against myself.

You could do 5 push-ups per goal.
You could do 10 jumping jacks per goal.
Pick something you think is appropriate for your level, and try it out.

And good for you for joining the gym. "Pathetically weak" is David Mackay-levels of strength, but you know what else? No one ever doubts Davo's willingness at the contest.

I'll have a go. I'm pathetically weak though, so I'll be doing my pushups against the wall or on my knees.

Still sitting around the 79kg mark, when for my height I should be not much more than 64kg. I've joined the gym at Flinders Uni in the last few weeks, and have a fitness assessment on Tuesday, so that will hopefully start to get my exercise sorted. Then just to do something about my penchant for over-snacking.

If you are addicted to snacking, try eating almonds. Protein hit with little to no fat content.

Dinner's going to be a couple tins of tuna and some cheese i think...
Have to eat properly, can’t diet. they don’t work .....try protein shakes as a meal replacement with a carb load B 4 training

Some are heralding the 5 x 2 eating program .... the calories count i expoused, with 2 days of 600 calories per day .... either previous night to lunch next day + 2 meals of 300 calories

I have barramundi 250g fillet -gives me 250 calories approx and a third of my protein req to maintain muscle mass

I thought up something fun to do. I've put a little weight back on, but nothing major, the weight is off so it's about shape now, so I decided to play a little game tonight, who's with me? None of you should be with me, i haven't even said what it is yet.

Ten push-ups for every goal we kick!

Yeah it's dumb but at least it's randomised, so i don't know how many i'll have to do and that makes it interesting.

Otherwise, hope you're all happy and healthy (-ier)
Haven’t done a push up for over 6 months...I’m out!

J/k. I’ll be on a modified game - jog on the spot during the commercial breaks. Hopefully 30 goals total this match = 20 minutes of exercise!

Good luck building those pecs with all those pushups tonight!

I thought up something fun to do. I've put a little weight back on, but nothing major, the weight is off so it's about shape now, so I decided to play a little game tonight, who's with me? None of you should be with me, i haven't even said what it is yet.

Yeah it's dumb but at least it's randomised, so i don't know how many i'll have to do and that makes it interesting.

Will do 10 squats per Adelaide goal.

Weight steady. Now helping a mate as general gardener/labourer (had to do something in retirement besides going to the gym) - good cross training workout to complete the gym.

The great thing about this game, is that you can suit it to your own needs. I'm not competing against any of you, i'm competing against myself.

You could do 5 push-ups per goal.
You could do 10 jumping jacks per goal.
Pick something you think is appropriate for your level, and try it out.

And good for you for joining the gym. "Pathetically weak" is David Mackay-levels of strength, but you know what else? No one ever doubts Davo's willingness at the contest.

I think I'll change it up a bit.

1st quarter - 10 wall presses per goal.
2nd quarter - 10 wall squats per goal (I have a dodgy left knee and that's the only way I can do squats at the moment until I strengthen my knees a bit).
3rd quarter - 10 tricep dips per goal.
4th quarter - 10 stationary lunges per goal.

Great suggestion. Figured we wouldn't score so many goals, so set myself 10 per goal and 5 per point after the first half. Probably going to feel it tomorrow morning.

I think I'll change it up a bit.

1st quarter - 10 wall presses per goal.
2nd quarter - 10 wall squats per goal (I have a dodgy left knee and that's the only way I can do squats at the moment until I strengthen my knees a bit).
3rd quarter - 10 tricep dips per goal.
4th quarter - 10 stationary lunges per goal.

I got through the first 3, but I was in bed at 3 quarter time because I was so tired (my old body can't take it like it used to - actually, it could never take it). I'll do the stuff for the 4th quarter goals today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the pub so did plenty of arm curls.

Need to get some strength exercise going again.

I can't do many pushups with my neck but im good for situps next time.

Other update: ran my 50th Parkrun on Saturday for 29.20 time. :) 2nd sub 30 this year.

The Heart of a Swimmer vs. the Heart of a Runner
Regular exercise changes the look and workings of the human heart. And researchers are discovering that different sports affect the heart differently.

Do world-class swimmers’ hearts function differently than the hearts of elite runners?

A new study finds that the answer may be yes, and the differences, although slight, could be telling and consequential, even for those of us who swim or run at a much less lofty level.

Cardiologists and exercise scientists already know that regular exercise changes the look and workings of the human heart. The left ventricle, in particular, alters with exercise. This chamber of the heart receives oxygen-rich blood from the lungs and pumps it out to the rest of the body, using a rather strenuous twisting and unspooling motion, as if the ventricle were a sponge being wrung out before springing back into shape.

Exercise, especially aerobic exercise, requires that considerable oxygen be delivered to working muscles, placing high demands on the left ventricle. In response, this part of the heart in athletes typically becomes larger and stronger than in sedentary people and functions more efficiently, filling with blood a little earlier and more fully and untwisting with each heartbeat a bit more rapidly, allowing the heart to pump more blood more quickly.

While almost any exercise can prompt remodeling of the left ventricle over time, different types of exercise often produce subtly different effects. A 2015 study found, for instance, that competitive rowers, whose sport combines endurance and power, had greater muscle mass in their left ventricles than runners, making their hearts strong but potentially less nimble during the twisting that pumps blood to muscles.

hese past studies compared the cardiac effects of land-based activities, though, with an emphasis on running. Few have examined swimming, even though it is not only a popular exercise but unique. Swimmers, unlike runners, lie prone, in buoyant water and hold their breaths, all of which could affect cardiac demands and how the heart responds and remakes itself.

So, for the new study, which was published in November in Frontiers in Physiology, researchers at the University of Guelph in Canada and other institutions set out to map the structure and function of elite swimmers’ and runners’ hearts.

It turned out, to no one’s surprise, that the athletes, whether runners or swimmers, enjoyed enviable heart health. Their heart rates hovered around 50 beats per minute, with the runners’ rates slightly lower than the swimmers’. But all of the athletes’ heart rates were much lower than is typical for sedentary people, signifying that their hearts were robust.

The athletes also had relatively large, efficient left ventricles, their echocardiograms showed.

But there were interesting if small differences between the swimmers and runners, the researchers found. While all of the athletes’ left ventricles filled with blood earlier than average and untwisted more quickly during each heartbeat, those desirable changes were amplified in the runners. Their ventricles filled even earlier and untwisted more emphatically than the swimmers’ hearts did.

In theory, those differences should allow blood to move from and back to the runners’ hearts more rapidly than would happen inside the swimmers’.

But these differences do not necessarily show that the runners’ hearts worked better than the swimmers’, says Jamie Burr, a professor at the University of Guelph and director of its human performance lab, who conducted the new study with the lead author, Katharine Currie, and others.

Since swimmers exercise in a horizontal position, he says, their hearts do not have to fight gravity to get blood back to the heart, unlike in upright runners. Posture does some of the work for swimmers, and so their hearts reshape themselves only as much as needed for the demands of their sport.

The findings underscore how exquisitely sensitive our bodies are to different types of exercise, Dr. Burr says.

They also might provide a reason for swimmers sometimes to consider logging miles on the road, he says, to intensify the remodeling of their hearts.

About to undertake the Altitude Training program at Next Gen for the next 8 weeks starting next Monday. Should be interesting to see what results of it as I had spent approx 3 weeks at high altitude (Macca Picchu 2,430m to Rainbow Mountain 5,200m) in South America last year.

Weight is stable, need to give up the red wine!

I was at the pub so did plenty of arm curls.

Need to get some strength exercise going again.

I can't do many pushups with my neck but im good for situps next time.

Other update: ran my 50th Parkrun on Saturday for 29.20 time. :) 2nd sub 30 this year.

We did our 50 on the same day. :) Mine was 30:03. pb is 29:00 December last. I was trying to break 29....:rolleyes:

So I'm looking at getting membership to what is only a small gym, so mainly basic equipment.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are a 45 minute workout they have, cover and, legs and arms.

Any ideas?

Normally I do cardio but my first session this morning of high altitude training (based on 3,500m with oxygen @ 13.9%) and basically did one minute cardio then one minute floor exercises with 15 second breaks in between. Two repetitions for floor exercises and using the 10 various machines once.

Floor exercises were squat, lunges, plank, push ups, glute bridge
Cardio exercises were bikes, treadmills, stair climber, rowing machine.

Good workout, sweated like a pig and felt muscles haven't had before.

Will see how it tracks over the program which is the next 8 weeks (3 sessions per week).

Oh and an update too

I got on the scales this morning and I am now 150.3 (down 3.1 kilos).

GOAL 1
Reach Wii Fit weight range (under 150 kilos) so I can then before everyone with my screenshots

1DvM.gif

GOAL 2

Break into the 130s

I almost feel like this is a confessional.

I've been very lazy over the last 9 months or so, but I've been eating better over the last couple of months and joined a gym a week ago.

Started doing 60-70 mins on the treadmill at around 6km/h.

Weight this morning was 144.8 so I am about 9 kilos down from my heaviest and approaching a total loss of 10 kilos.

My ideal goal is to get to 100 kgs.

I still have a long way to go but thankfully I am tracking downwards and going to the gym is going to make sure that the rain doesn't quell my exercise interest.

Next goal is the crack into the 130s (hoping for that happen mid June)

I've really gotta get back to it. I'm back to my pre-surgery weight (95kg). While I got down to something unhealthy, I really hoped I would've maintained a 80's weight for a bit longer. I've cut out my FUIC/finger bun breakfasts, and back to playing soccer again (life got in the way a bit)

When I'm home on parental leave for the 2nd half of the year, I really hope to be able to go for walks with the daughter and add a few extra KM's to the legs each day.

I know enough that it's my food intake that does it; and sitting at a PC all day I've snacked on junk way too much. Not having that 'boredom' factor at home will change my mindset I hope.

heh -

I recently hit 100kg for the first time... it was a bit of a shock, but I'd been hovering in the 90's for a few years so it was probably bound to happen

Height: 193cm
Weight: 101kg

Goal: ? - I don't know.. I guess I'm tall so 90kg would be good? To be honest it's not something I've ever really thought too much about until recently.... I seem to be taller than everyone else in this thread (except one person who is 20 kg heavier...) so maybe my heigh/weight isn't that far out of alignment... but I do have a bit of a beer belly...

I was always skinny growing up, but not from eating well.. I always had a s**t diet but it took years before it affected my body. I was only 78kg when I moved to Melbourne 9 years ago.... I was underweight... But then I started homebrewing my own beer, got a long term partner who cooked well and then bam.. I'm now over 100kg still with poor eating habits..

Bread
Pasta
Beer

I still play footy, ride my bike as my main form of transportation, and occasionally get motivated to swim laps at the pool but they are infrequent..

Have never done any intense weight loss training.... I'm such a lazy fu** with that stuff....

well 3 years later and now I'm actually doing something

Haven't blown up too much since this post - I weighed in at 105kg at a doctors appt a couple of months back, but the thing that set me off was my recent trip to Europe. I'm at the beach in South-Eastern Spain along the Mediterranean and there were two classes of people. Guys who looked like yoga instructors, and then pasty white, fat tourists. While closer to the middle rather than any of the extremes, if we went to a binary system then I was definitely on the fat tourist end of the spectrum. For the first time in my entire life, I felt self-conscious about having my shirt off. It was a really confronting experience.

So I'm now 5 weeks into having a personal trainer at the gym around the corner. From my non-expert background I'm thinking it's the same kind of gym that Crossfit and stuff is, but it's just a gym three dudes own and it's their only one. They make you have PT sessions before joining the classes to make sure you know what you are doing and don't hurt yourself. Maybe slightly a way to raise more money for them, but at the same time it's the thing I'd need because I have no idea what I'm doing and the classes that are running in the background while I've been there looking ridiculous and I'd burn out pretty quick if I tried joining.

Anyway I've been going twice a week now for 5 weeks. They've been doing heap of core/glute work so I'm walking around like Herman Munster for half the week at the moment but I'm sure it's all for the best

Hopefully I keep it up

I almost feel like this is a confessional.

I've been very lazy over the last 9 months or so, but I've been eating better over the last couple of months and joined a gym a week ago.

Started doing 60-70 mins on the treadmill at around 6km/h.

Weight this morning was 144.8 so I am about 9 kilos down from my heaviest and approaching a total loss of 10 kilos.

My ideal goal is to get to 100 kgs.

I still have a long way to go but thankfully I am tracking downwards and going to the gym is going to make sure that the rain doesn't quell my exercise interest.

Next goal is the crack into the 130s (hoping for that happen mid June)

Unfortunately I got very lazy again, but have been on the straight and narrow since January.

Current weight 137.8, so far I have lost almost 17 kilos in total and 7 kilos since my last post.

It's been very slow because I haven't been anywhere near as motivated as I should have been, but thankfully I am still losing and from last week I have ramped up my exercise program to get as much weight off as I can before my Singapore trip in May (hoping to shave off another 10 kilos between now and then).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back