Toast Welcome to Fit Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea, sugar was a big one for me, was a sugar fiend. Would eat a whole share bag size of lollies in one go if ya let me! Was eating chocolate bars or lollies every day without fail. I still drink Coke occasionally, but moved over to the No Sugar version, but found my tastebuds changed for a lot of things too. Like the GF had a bag of the fun size chocolates the other week, so I had a Snickers bar, which was about the first time I had chocolate in about 6 months and it tasted awful. So kinda don't have the inclination to go back to it which isn't the worst thing in the world.
Yeah, chips are my weakness. If I buy 6 (big) bags of chips. I’ll eat them all in 6 days. Junk food is mean. So, I just don’t buy it. I walk straight through that aisle, eyes straight ahead. I’ll buy a couple of packs every 2-3 months, to have a break. But, that’s it. Fun, but completely unnecessary and when you feel like s**t immediately after gorging on it, you know it’s no good for you.

years ago my partner came home from the doctors with a duramine script because she was worried about weight - she didn't know what it was, the dr prescribed it

took it a couple of times and she was just 'this is just ******* speed' and stopped it pretty quick

otherwise heaps of people use it for study cramming

it's actually bonkers that it's prescribed but speed is illegal

so she ignored the doctor and just decided she knew best?

that sounds really daft

that sounds really daft
People go to the doctors for a quick fix and doctors are quick to prescribe. Endless cycle. You don't go to the doctors if you're looking for lifestyle change to lose weight, so that's what you're given. Phentermine is a quick fix but you can't suppress your appetite forever. It plateaus and you regain the weight you lost.

People go to the doctors for a quick fix and doctors are quick to prescribe. Endless cycle. You don't go to the doctors if you're looking for lifestyle change to lose weight, so that's what you're given. Phentermine is a quick fix but you can't suppress your appetite forever. It plateaus and you regain the weight you lost.

that may well be true, no quarrel with what you’re saying but that’s not the situation as described

that sounds really daft

Mate she was at the Dr's for other reasons, mentioned that she was a bit concerned about her weight so the doc goes 'there are these weight loss pills - take these'

Next two or three days she is basically high while at work and it made her feel crook and she likened it to taking speed so stopped it pretty quickly - I don't quite think your 'daft' comment is appropriate

Given where you work.

Are you not literally blown away by the amount of fast food in the area.

Have you ever witnessed the panic line ups at Maccas, HJ etc etc from around 6pm onwards. It explains a lot.

Here is an article to put everyone off ALL fast food. Its disturbing. Warning required here.

What about the queues at 8am in the morning?

Got to say I love my wine and chocolate. Don’t eat a lot of fast food but stay consistently in a certain weight band.

Now at 60 losing weight is not easy - hit the altitude room 3 times a week for 30 min sessions and reformer pilates 3 times a week as well.

Here is one of the training sessions in the altitude room

F06B32CB-B64C-4129-8828-18FE0BCEF26C.jpeg

The truest and most effective method is cardio. Increasingly intensive cardio. Get the heart rate right up for as long as you can manage. Lowers your blood pressure too.

If all you can do is walk, then walk, but don't keep walking, move on to jogging, running, sprinting, run for 2 hours, run for 4 hours, do an Ultra marathon. Do a trail running ultra marathon. Too tough on your knees? Ride a bike, but don't keep riding slowly, ride fast, for hours, like you've just been blood doping in the Swiss alps.
Actually this is wrong.

The truest and most effective method is resistance training. By building more muscle, your body will burn more calories at rest. With cardio the body will eventually slow your metabolism down. The literature overwhelming supports this.

Ideally you make small changes, change diet, resistance training and then combine this later with some cardio training.

Its a long slow method, but is ideal for those that need to lose a lot of weight.

Actually this is wrong.

The truest and most effective method is resistance training. By building more muscle, your body will burn more calories at rest. With cardio the body will eventually slow your metabolism down. The literature overwhelming supports this.

Ideally you make small changes, change diet, resistance training and then combine this later with some cardio training.

Its a long slow method, but is ideal for those that need to lose a lot of weight.

Read it again.

What he says, especially the sugar.
Losing weight is not complicated.

- Drink a lot of water
- Don’t eat sugar when you can avoid it (that means no soft drink, chocolate, cakes etc or only very occasionally)
- Eat home cooked meals.
- Don’t snack on junk. If you get peckish between meals. Eat a couple handfuls of raw almonds and stfu.
- Walk at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes and walk briskly.

It really is that simple.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im so sorry to hear that.

This year I had to deal with a few personal issues, at one stage I was ordering UberEats 3x a day and no exercise whatsoever. o_O

I was actually fine for a few weeks, in terms of weight. I was literally smashing pizzas and ice cream too.

But I turned come the 4th week. :$ I put on weight, however instead of losing it, I hit the gym focusing on building muscle for a few months.

When I restored my strength and gained muscle, I started the slow grind of losing weight. Then about ~4weeks, I went hard and lost 5kgs.

I dont think the Mods will mind me saying this, but there is actual legal prescribed drugs you can take that will help you lose weight dramatically.
I have a similar issue as well my friend. Iam type 2 and my Dr (who is also a geriatrician) told me I should continue eating the foods I enjoy but simply half the amount you eat. Like its a simple thing to do. My objective is to lose 1kg a month. Not to make it a diet restrictive process. I have to get down to 100kg but my starting point is 125kg. I just enjoy my food. Infact I tell the Dr's that it's my wife's fault because she is a great cook. Mind you I dont blame her to her face even if I say it in jest. But its bloody hard to lose the weight and keep it off. I thought that because I went cold turkey and stopped smoking (havent had a smoke for 40 years now) that I could do the same with food but I really struggle.

Losing weight is not complicated.

- Drink a lot of water
- Don’t eat sugar when you can avoid it (that means no soft drink, chocolate, cakes etc or only very occasionally)
- Eat home cooked meals.
- Don’t snack on junk. If you get peckish between meals. Eat a couple handfuls of raw almonds and stfu.
- Walk at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes and walk briskly.

It really is that simple.
I dont disagree with you but I dont subscribe to the walking/exercising as being critical to losing the weight. I mean it might help but when I decided to stop smoking I was told "dont putting the cigs in your mouth" Its that simple. The biggest contributor to gaining weight is food. The biggest thing you can do to help yourself is stop putting the food in your mouth. If you can reduce your input you will lose weight. If you decide to exercise or go walking it will help but its the food intake that has to be controlled. But its not easy. My wife's roast dinners just kill me. I cant resist them.

I dont disagree with you but I dont subscribe to the walking/exercising as being critical to losing the weight. I mean it might help but when I decided to stop smoking I was told "dont putting the cigs in your mouth" Its that simple. The biggest contributor to gaining weight is food. The biggest thing you can do to help yourself is stop putting the food in your mouth. If you can reduce your input you will lose weight. If you decide to exercise or go walking it will help but its the food intake that has to be controlled. But its not easy. My wife's roast dinners just kill me. I cant resist them.
I completely agree. Losing weight is 5% exercise and 95% diet. I listed what I consider eating well. But, walking has many added benefits to just losing weight. It should be encouraged. People are too sedentary nowadays.

Also, watching what you eat doesn’t mean suffering. I eat like a king. I love cooking. All great, home-cooked recipes. Taste great and are (in most cases) good for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely agree. Losing weight is 5% exercise and 95% diet. I listed what I consider eating well. But, walking has many added benefits to just losing weight. It should be encouraged. People are too sedentary nowadays.

Also, watching what you eat doesn’t mean suffering. I eat like a king. I love cooking. All great, home-cooked recipes. Taste great and are (in most cases) good for you.
For most, exercise is an important part of losing weight and in fact even standing up rather than sitting all day. Brisk walks or whatever. I am doing 16:8 fasting now to improve my already good health and lose some pounds from sitting working online all day here in Bangkok. Done it before. Easy and works. Your body digests food and stores fat and this takes masses of energy. It takes say 8 hours to digest all the food and then the body switches to fat burning and body repairing - can only happen after say a 14,15 16 hour break in eating. I eat what I want 11 am til 7pm. Feel better- losing pounds.. fell less hungry than before - regular eating does that makes you hungry all the time). Diets are troublesome.

Anybody who is too sedentary need to get themselves a Kelpie/Border Collie cross. If you don't walk, they'll make you regret it. And you can't be mad cause it's your fault.

I have a similar issue as well my friend. Iam type 2 and my Dr (who is also a geriatrician) told me I should continue eating the foods I enjoy but simply half the amount you eat. Like its a simple thing to do. My objective is to lose 1kg a month. Not to make it a diet restrictive process. I have to get down to 100kg but my starting point is 125kg. I just enjoy my food. Infact I tell the Dr's that it's my wife's fault because she is a great cook. Mind you I dont blame her to her face even if I say it in jest. But its bloody hard to lose the weight and keep it off. I thought that because I went cold turkey and stopped smoking (havent had a smoke for 40 years now) that I could do the same with food but I really struggle.
Congratulations on your journey.

Well done with the weight loss and also well done with the smoking, you definitely improved your life. Very impressive. :thumbsu:

Both I reckon, heaps of carbs in booze and when I hit it I hit it reasonably hard. But the next day I eat and eat bad. So without the booze the binge wouldn’t happen
Hmm. I booze pretty hardcore and I can still eat well. Not everyone’s the same. But, it doesn’t affect my diet. Maybe when I was younger.

Hmm. I booze pretty hardcore and I can still eat well. Not everyone’s the same. But, it doesn’t affect my diet. Maybe when I was younger.

You probably don't lie there on the couch eating leftover pizza the next day though lol. That's the killer for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back