Toast Welcome to Fremantle Eric 'Roy' Benning (Pick 54 2021 AFL Draft)

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wow as someone who didn't know much about Benny he looks like an amazing pickup. He has so much talent to work with!! I'm looking forward to his journey.

The Clem Michael we all wanted
Not wanting to put too many expectations on him but I got some lowkey TI vibes looking at Roy's highlights, ngl.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
Could be absolutely anything this kid.

The natural talent of all kids that come out of the East Kimberley, plus a really good head on his shoulders and an excellent work ethic. Was interviewed on local radio up here the other day, and his response to "what happens if you don't get picked up?" was "I'll go back to Claremont and work harder." Super exciting.

Great stuff. I am quietly confident we have something a bit special here.

Put some sports science into developing that frame (and a preseason with Sandi, smashing haulpak tyres with a sledgehammer) and you will have quite the athlete in a big and mobile body. The way he gets his arms free in the contest, the way he chases down and kills people - that's all good stuff. Add some strength and fitness (and the fear of Sandi and his Haulpak Warhammer), you will have a genuinely scary prospect.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have a friend who was a massive South Fremantle fan. While he supporters the Slime he doesn't watch much footy these days and doesn't follow the draft at all.

I showed him EB's highlights video and asked what the thought. He replied by saying "obviously he is Steve Michael's grandchild or some other relative. "
I usually don't get excited by short highlight videos. But I have a man crush going on already.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Not wanting to put too many expectations on him but I got some lowkey TI vibes looking at Roy's highlights, ngl.
I'm old enough to remember Michael as a skinny kid for South, if he's half as good he'll be a jet. After seeing his rucking in the third quarter of the GF I can understand the comparison.

Pussinbootz

Headless Chook
Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
How does Roy compare to Paddy Ryder in his draft year? went top 10 so must’ve been a better talent at the time

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Roy will take a bit longer to develop but the payout at the end will be big. Has all the tools - can mark, the leap, agility, decent skills and seems to have a good attitude. Plonk him at CHF at Peel with the odd run on the ball. Treacy , Amiss and Roy could be very handy forward trio in 2-3 years. Each brings something different to the table.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
MRS. BEDFORD’S FIFTH GRANDSON DRAFTED:

With Eric Benning drafted to Fremantle on Thursday night, Mrs. Joan Bedford now has five grandsons currently playing in the AFL.

The others are Shane McAdam (Adelaide), Sam Petrevski-Seton (West Coast), Ash Johnson (Collingwood) and Jy Farrer (Gold Coast).

That is very impressive!

Such a talented family from a region that has produced so many excellent footballers.

Photo – (Retrieved From) Fremantle Football Club

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Roy will take a bit longer to develop but the payout at the end will be big. Has all the tools - can mark, the leap, agility, decent skills and seems to have a good attitude. Plonk him at CHF at Peel with the odd run on the ball. Treacy , Amiss and Roy could be very handy forward trio in 2-3 years. Each brings something different to the table.
Could also plonk him in defence? If he can add another 10kg to his frame I can see him being more than just athletic.
With Hamling, Pearce even Logue’s injury history, we still need that tall defender just in case.
Unless Lobb takes off, or again injury, KP depth is gold.

Back