Toast Welcome to Fremantle Eric 'Roy' Benning (Pick 54 2021 AFL Draft)

jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
There couldn't be a better environment to learn your trade as a ruck/fwd in the league. You have J-Lo as head coach, Sandi as the ruck coach, MJ around as the indigenous liaison, along with Darcy and Lobb to learn off as well.

He seems like such an awesome kid, I wish him the very best.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hes fast becoming my favourite new docker.

I rekon he will flatten a few blokes. Might get in trouble for knocking someone out. Hes going to be one strong footballer

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I have only seen his video of his highlights, but there is certainly something about this kid that I like.
He appears far older than he is. Shy, retiring, but very confident. And he plays very confidently.
He looks like he has the good.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have only seen his video of his highlights, but there is certainly something about this kid that I like.
He appears far older than he is. Shy, retiring, but very confident. And he plays very confidently.
He looks like he has the good.
The good is strong in this one ✊

First of all let me say ***** excited to get him in to the club.

I played basketball against an older S Michael when he played a game for Collie ....it was like being screened by a car port brick pillar.

I have watched him all year - and I’m so glad we picked him in the open draft and ahead of Williams - it means we rate him for his talent and work ethic - not getting him on the cheap as an academy Cat B rookie.
Love the way he competes with repeat efforts - loves contact, great mark and really looks to bring others into the game.
Welcome Roy - you are the one I wanted the club to give an opportunity because you have deserved it, earned it because you want it - the sacrifice will pay off - continue to work hard - you will be a favourite at this club.
Good on ya young fella.

I'm trying to work out how this would have worked but let me tell you the scenario I was told.

We took Benning at 54 because we were certain that West Coast were going to bid at 57 (I guess or 62).

If we'd taken someone else at 54 and West Coast nominated Benning ...what would the impact have been on us? We would have just lot our rookie list spot - wouldn't have impacted anything ese?

Hob07

Rookie
Mar 21, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

I played basketball against an older S Michael when he played a game for Collie ....it was like being screened by a car port brick pillar.

I'm trying to work out how this would have worked but let me tell you the scenario I was told.

We took Benning at 54 because we were certain that West Coast were going to bid at 57 (I guess or 62).

If we'd taken swasnt omeone else at 54 and West Coast nominated Benning ...what would the impa have been on us? We would have just lot our rookie list spot - wouldn't have impacted anything ese?
Z
Wasn’t there a rumour that Essendon had shown considerable interest in Benning and had a pick in the PSD.
If we had tried to walk him through to the category B they could have taken him in the pre season and we wouldn’t have been able to match

Wasn’t there a rumour that Essendon had shown considerable interest in Benning and had a pick in the PSD.
If we had tried to walk him through to the category B they could have taken him in the pre season and we wouldn’t have been able to match

Interesting

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
It was the Essendon scenario that had us pulling the trigger. Plus a desire to show Roy, with the 2-year contract, that we had faith - that we would give him time to grow.

Kid only came down to the smoke in February. Most WAFL Colts programs start preseason in early December, so he hasn't had a proper preseason yet. He's got an enormous ceiling. I particularly like how much he likes flattening dudes.

Big wheels keep turning, Roy.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Once Serong was gone it was clear that Benning was the next on our board, the Essendon PSD threat forced our hand but I'm comfortable taking him if he is the next on our board anyway

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

If we'd taken someone else at 54 and West Coast nominated Benning ...what would the impact have been on us? We would have just lot our rookie list spot - wouldn't have impacted anything ese?
Isn't there a scenario where we simply keep trading our pick back until there is no-one else, then we take a player, leaving Benning as Cat B?

Isn't there a scenario where we simply keep trading our pick back until there is no-one else, then we take a player, leaving Benning as Cat B?
Clubs were able to select academy players in the preseason draft now and clubs didn't have a chance to match that pick. Previously the players hoped over the PSD to the category B list

Clubs were able to select academy players in the preseason draft now and clubs didn't have a chance to match that pick. Previously the players hoped over the PSD to the category B list

Just glad we got him …couldn’t stand Essendon or Eagles stealing him from us…..he just has that something about him.

Back