Toast Welcome to Fremantle Karl Worner (pick 8 2021 rookie draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun Local Footy article on him from a week ago:

An AFL club would do well to take a punt on Oakleigh Chargers wingman, Karl Worner.

Chargers coach Jason Davenport believes the 188cm, 78kg 19-year-old has all the attributes to make it at the top level should he be chosen at next week’s AFL draft.

Worner played five NAB League matches this season after missing out on his top-age year due to COVID-19 wiping out the 2020 campaign.

But he’s made every post a winner on return this year with his versatility, outside run and endurance standing out among his many traits in his NAB League appearances.

Worner also impressed in Victorian trial matches, gathering 30 disposals and 15 marks in one of them, leading to Vic Metro selection. He was part of Richmond’s VFL squad this year and was one of few 19-year-old prospects to earn an invitation to the draft combine.

“No doubt, someone with his running capacity, ball-use and ability to hit the scoreboard and overhead marking, he’s got overwhelming AFL attributes that I feel would be beneficial to any club,” Davenport said.

“He also has a really unique ability to play difficult positions, including the wing.”

Davenport has also been impressed with Worner’s maturity and team-first attitude.

“He was consistent with his role with regards to his pattern which translates well to the next level – and also, it’s a great insight into his maturity to be patient, and have a willingness to play a role than to chase disposals, I felt which was really important,” Davenport said.

“Structurally, he understands the game and was able to apply himself in different roles this year which is a great sign in his maturity.

“But also his ability to prepare himself physically and mentally to perform consistently was a big standout for us.”

The ‘mature’ prospect carved out a junior career with the Ashburton and East Burwood football clubs.

He played under-17 Premier grade football with East Burwood before playing under-19s with the Eastern league club, where he has a strong family connection.

Touted as a late pick or rookie selection, Davenport said it wouldn’t matter where the 19-year-old figured in the draft order, such is Worner’s drive.

“I think he just wants to be given an opportunity, and that’s why I’m really encouraged too that wherever that was, he’d make the most of it … especially the way he can apply himself,” Davenport said.

And he could be a “real find” for an AFL club next week.

“That’s definitely where I sit on it, for sure,” Davenport said.

I realise highlight vids are just that, but I'm surprised he didn't get more mentions on Bigfooty, especially from the Vic experts There must have been about 70 picks in the BF Phantom and I don't think he went did he?

I realise highlight vids are just that, but I'm surprised he didn't get more mentions on Bigfooty, especially from the Vic experts There must have been about 70 picks in the BF Phantom and I don't think he went did he?
Uno momento.

Hey PMBangers, what's the skinny on our new mate Karl here?

Uno momento.

Hey PMBangers, what's the skinny on our new mate Karl here?
He's not bad, really strong in the contest and aerially for a guy that usually plays wing, and has really good running capacity

Herald Sun Local Footy article on him from a week ago:

An AFL club would do well to take a punt on Oakleigh Chargers wingman, Karl Worner.

Chargers coach Jason Davenport believes the 188cm, 78kg 19-year-old has all the attributes to make it at the top level should he be chosen at next week’s AFL draft.

Worner played five NAB League matches this season after missing out on his top-age year due to COVID-19 wiping out the 2020 campaign.

But he’s made every post a winner on return this year with his versatility, outside run and endurance standing out among his many traits in his NAB League appearances.

Worner also impressed in Victorian trial matches, gathering 30 disposals and 15 marks in one of them, leading to Vic Metro selection. He was part of Richmond’s VFL squad this year and was one of few 19-year-old prospects to earn an invitation to the draft combine.

“No doubt, someone with his running capacity, ball-use and ability to hit the scoreboard and overhead marking, he’s got overwhelming AFL attributes that I feel would be beneficial to any club,” Davenport said.

“He also has a really unique ability to play difficult positions, including the wing.”

Davenport has also been impressed with Worner’s maturity and team-first attitude.

“He was consistent with his role with regards to his pattern which translates well to the next level – and also, it’s a great insight into his maturity to be patient, and have a willingness to play a role than to chase disposals, I felt which was really important,” Davenport said.

“Structurally, he understands the game and was able to apply himself in different roles this year which is a great sign in his maturity.

“But also his ability to prepare himself physically and mentally to perform consistently was a big standout for us.”

The ‘mature’ prospect carved out a junior career with the Ashburton and East Burwood football clubs.

He played under-17 Premier grade football with East Burwood before playing under-19s with the Eastern league club, where he has a strong family connection.

Touted as a late pick or rookie selection, Davenport said it wouldn’t matter where the 19-year-old figured in the draft order, such is Worner’s drive.

“I think he just wants to be given an opportunity, and that’s why I’m really encouraged too that wherever that was, he’d make the most of it … especially the way he can apply himself,” Davenport said.

And he could be a “real find” for an AFL club next week.

“That’s definitely where I sit on it, for sure,” Davenport said.
This is probably the salient point from this article “…after missing out on his top-age year due to COVID-19 wiping out the 2020”
Under-exposed, developed late perhaps.

“part of Richmond’s VFL squad this year”
Did they not rate him?

Some great write ups for Karl Worner.
Here.
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...er-son-prospect-sam-darcy-dominates-vic-metro
Putting on an intercept marking clinic, Karl Worner pushing back several times into defence and read the ball to perfection. Showing glimpses of AFL talent and courage, the overager managed 30 disposals, 15 marks (two contested) and two score assists.
And here.
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2021/06/28/scouting-notes-2021-victorian-under-19-trials/
#16 Karl Worner (Oakleigh Chargers)
188cm/78kg | 16/06/2002 | Wing

In arguably his best display for the year, Worner was consistently impactful around the ground, making the wing his own but often getting down deep into defence to assist with his strong marking. That marking was often a headache for Country, consistently strong above his head even in packs and seemingly never being spoiled through the game which gave Metro a level of certainty when kicking the ball to him. He also showed good follow up ball use with penetrative kicking to the advantage of his teammates when moving it forward or laterally, and was happy to take on opponents with his run and carry when applicable.

He's a great kid, a really hard worker. I've watched him come through our juniors. Not as big as Jordan Ridely was, but just as good a footballer. He will run all day and is a great one for setting up plays. Terrific in the air, a really strong and reliable mark with good composure. He was CHF in our U19 Prem side and knows how to kick a goal. I reckon you've got a good one with Karl.

Last edited:

If anyone was worried about his go home factor for whatever reason

“My grandad is a WA boy born and bred. I’ve been over there quite a few times and I’ve got some family over there,” Worner said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a really decent fella from the interview with a really drive to get the best out of himself. Reminded me of Xavier Durssma from port in the highlights clip.
Welcome to freo Karl!

Should be a lot of young ladies turning up for future games
Some good looking roosters in our new crop

Kid looks pretty handy , takes the game on and tackles
Let’s go Freo 👍👍👍
Great drafting this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back