Welcome To Freo: Bailey Banfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Big wraps for Bailey from Fyfe in today's paper.

Said that the new player that has surprised the most has been Bailey. His training performances, speed, size basically everything about him shouts a player who is desperate to make it and probably will.

Also says that our high draft picks in Brayshaw and Cerra are doing exactly what they should and will be hopefully 200 game players and will play this year.

So that is 3 debuts we can all pencil in with another 2, I reckon, will happen later into the year (based on past years and injuries).

This team will be different this year but massively different next year I reckon - and that's when it starts getting exciting - I hope.
Must have had to deep dive to find that article.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-03-11/lyon-flags-round-one-prospects

"Senior coach Ross Lyon sees rookie forward Bailey Banfield and young gun midfielder Andrew Brayshaw as a part of the selection mix for Fremantle’s home and away season opener against Port Adelaide in a fortnight.

The 19-year-old Banfield kicked a goal with his 18 disposals in Fremantle’s 62-point defeat of West Coast in Sunday’s JLT Community Series at HBF Arena, impressing Lyon with his ability to apply pressure on opposition defenders.

"I think Bailey Banfield was an important part of that (Fremantle’s forward pressure). You would think he's going to play round one," Lyon said post-match."

Thought the picture that accompanied the FB post was awesome:

DYAkNkJVoAEgfKv.jpg:large

Last edited:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-03-11/lyon-flags-round-one-prospects

"Senior coach Ross Lyon sees rookie forward Bailey Banfield and young gun midfielder Andrew Brayshaw as a part of the selection mix for Fremantle’s home and away season opener against Port Adelaide in a fortnight.

The 19-year-old Banfield kicked a goal with his 18 disposals in Fremantle’s 62-point defeat of West Coast in Sunday’s JLT Community Series at HBF Arena, impressing Lyon with his ability to apply pressure on opposition defenders.

"I think Bailey Banfield was an important part of that (Fremantle’s forward pressure). You would think he's going to play round one," Lyon said post-match."

Thought the picture that accompanied the FB post was awesome:

DYAkNkJVoAEgfKv.jpg:large

Reminds me of a certain game against Geelong where Fyfe beat 4 of their players and goaled.

We’ve done pretty well finding young, mature-aged state league players with our late picks lately
Many of our recruits are arriving with a fair bit of physical development behind them. The other thing with Banfield and Slayer is that they are mentally pretty mature as well and bring that to their game and preparation.

Many of our recruits are arriving with a fair bit of physical development behind them. The other thing with Banfield and Slayer is that they are mentally pretty mature as well and bring that to their game and preparation.

Which one is slayer? I haven’t caught up to the new nicknames yet.

But yes, whatever our checklist for recruiting is, we’ve had the combination right the last couple of years.

Wonder how much input Ross is providing during this rebuild? This process will round him off nicely as a coach.

But yes, whatever our checklist for recruiting is, we’ve had the combination right the last couple of years.

Wonder how much input Ross is providing during this rebuild? This process will round him off nicely as a coach.
I think Slayer is Andy - Slayshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slayer is Brayshaw. That tackling!!!

Speaking with some of the WA Talent guys they reckon Banfield wasn't drafted because clubs these days are looking for X-factor and he is very good at most things. He is the consummate professional who will thrive in an AFL environment, and has the all the tools (particularly the drive) to succeed, not unlike Brayshaw!

Speaking with some of the WA Talent guys they reckon Banfield wasn't drafted because clubs these days are looking for X-factor and he is very good at most things. He is the consummate professional who will thrive in an AFL environment, and has the all the tools (particularly the drive) to succeed, not unlike Brayshaw!
Interesting. Does North have x-factor? Neale? Spurr? Good footballers to be found in the depths of the draft and their recruiters missed him.

Interesting. Does North have x-factor? Neale? Spurr? Good footballers to be found in the depths of the draft and their recruiters missed him.
Is it just me or do half the footballers in the league not have “X-factor.”
I know you guys aren't having a go at me for delivering that message but it sure sounds like it;)

But seriously that is what they believe the reason is because he ticks off all the other boxes.

I know you guys aren't having a go at me for delivering that message but it sure sounds like it;)

But seriously that is what they believe the reason is because he ticks off all the other boxes.
Definitely not having a go at you and not surprised to hear it. Appreciate the snippets you deliver.

I’m having a go at the recruiters who continually let good footballers slip down towards the end of the draft or overlook them altogether in favour of guys with “X-factor” who are far less likely to make it at AFL level. Just seems like a stupid reason reason to overlook players and just generally seems overrated in general. Wouldn’t say many f the players Richmond won the premiership with have genuine X-factor at all.

Certainly not a go at you at all - just pointing out that all teams including the good ones have many players without X-factor.

We’ve done pretty well finding young, mature-aged state league players with our late picks lately
People under 21 are not mature age recruits. Banfield is only 1 year outside minimum drafting age and 6 weeks older than Logue.

They should find a better description for it.

People under 21 are not mature age recruits. Banfield is only 1 year outside minimum drafting age and 6 weeks older than Logue.

They should find a better description for it.

I agree with this, they make a 19 yo sound ancient, the fact that he won the Claremont B&F whilst playing against "mature" WAFL players just shows how good he is rather than how mature he is.

He has a lot of improvement to come yet and will be player based on what he has shown so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back