Welcome To Freo: Bailey Banfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I know you guys aren't having a go at me for delivering that message but it sure sounds like it;)

But seriously that is what they believe the reason is because he ticks off all the other boxes.
I read that they thought he didn’t have much improvement left in him.

Physically mature - check
Strong application and training - check
Good football nouse - check

It’s like you need to be deficient in at least one or two of those areas to be considered a good draft candidate because it would elude that’s there’s room to grow.

I think our history of drafting skinny flankers (no, not a spelling mistake, it starts with “fl”) is testament that’s not the case. Loving our last few years of recruiting! And we haven’t even been able to froth over Crowden properly yet!!!

Seriously - the more I see of him, the more he reminds me of Creepy for some reason: simiar-ish height, similar-ish build, similar-ish hard-at-it / get-it-done attitude on the field.

Plus, I hear that Baily cut his teeth earlier in his career as a tagger... funny that. :D:D

So where are his obvious faults?

Where he will get found out in the real season?

And why was he over looked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me or do half the footballers in the league not have “X-factor.”
IMO it’s about balance (the list). You need your ‘footballers’ (Neale, Banfield, Brayshaw, Blakely) to let the X factor players do the X factor things. Unfortunately for us in 2013 we didn’t have enough X factor players, it appears we have a pretty good balance right now (still have the Hills and Bennell to come in).

IMO it’s about balance (the list). You need your ‘footballers’ (Neale, Banfield, Brayshaw, Blakely) to let the X factor players do the X factor things. Unfortunately for us in 2013 we didn’t have enough X factor players, it appears we have a pretty good balance right now (still have the Hills and Bennell to come in).
Agree with this.

Should get Carter (who looks pretty X-factor to me) and hopefully iHill. Then we will have our quota for sure.

Banfield will be a gun! Few of the goals he's kicked have been ones where he's just got it quick and thrown it on the boot so seems to know where to be. Ross basically spelt it out that he will play round one, good signs. Exited for the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banfield will be a gun! Few of the goals he's kicked have been ones where he's just got it quick and thrown it on the boot so seems to know where to be. Ross basically spelt it out that he will play round one, good signs. Exited for the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I thought only Eagles supporters left this early? The season hasn’t started and you’ve already exited? :eek:

How's running through 4 last line defenders, pinching the ball and snapping a goal in one motion not X factor? Banfield's kicked a number of low percentage goals.

Darren Harris is a massive wrap for the kid.
Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the leadership group in a couple of years.

Darren Harris is a massive wrap for the kid.
Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the leadership group in a couple of years.
Has seen his fair share of elite talent in his time, we are building a better midfield/flankers than 2013.
But not just style over substance.
Some serious hard, true footballers in the mix that should help the X factor players rip the game apart.
Would love to see Bennell played like Brett Heady, then let him off the leash in Finals.
Fyfe, Neale, Brayshaw, Mundy, Cerra, Blakey add Banfield midfield?
Wingers Hills, Tucker, Walters, Langdon, on paper my mind is blown, with probably the best ruck depth
in the comp giving us first use of the ball.

Has seen his fair share of elite talent in his time, we are building a better midfield/flankers than 2013.
But not just style over substance.
Some serious hard, true footballers in the mix that should help the X factor players rip the game apart.
Would love to see Bennell played like Brett Heady, then let him off the leash in Finals.
Fyfe, Neale, Brayshaw, Mundy, Cerra, Blakey add Banfield midfield?
Wingers Hills, Tucker, Walters, Langdon, on paper my mind is blown, with probably the best ruck depth
in the comp giving us first use of the ball.

This is an exciting time no doubt. Banfield has been a revelation so far, the young guns (aptly named) are looking hungry and determined and we have better skill executors coming through. Holy hells, I can't wait to see this next crop mature and come through......I would love to see Bailey get in for Round 1. Nothing like sending out a positive message.......awesome times

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...eady-to-take-round-one-by-storm-ng-b88771475z

He reminds a bit of Micky B but with a bit more athleticism and nouse for a goal.

So much this.
I just like the little things he does - like freeing the arms when being tackled, holding on to the pill under pressure and waiting for an option to present, knowing when to make body contact and not.
Just screams smart footballer.
Micky B is living proof you don’t need to be the fastest to be a gun mid, Banfield already looks comfortable at this level - he’s going to be great when he settles in 12-24 months in the system.

Great article. Must say it is hard to fathom how WCE ignored him when they lost both Priddis and Mitchell.

I reckon they had big time blinkers on Tim Kelly - traded for those 20s picks to snag it and got blindsided by Geelong

Half the reason they reached for Liam Ryan too

They were probably the only club with Ryan on their board

X-Factor is probably just a euphemism for 'Confirmation Bias'. Eg "I think there's something special about this bloke. Can't tell you what it is but my gut says he's going to be great. Has x-factor"

I suspect something like this occurred with Jack Watts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back