Toast Welcome to Freo, Brandon Matera!

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I don’t think it has happened, I would be more than happy if bell has put Matera and a few others on notice.....party is over, time for results or bugger off to wafl or country footy.

Me too. My take is Brandon has been given his last rights by Bell and Ross. Have no doubt. He was with Harley at the OBH, to me his fitness ‘restart’ after 8 years in the systems smells of last chance saloon. Don’t expect him at Freo even with a contract next year if he throws up the same as 2018.

Clutch some more pearls mate

Spending a chunk of the year in the wafl when he should be at the peak of his powers is probably all the notice he needs, but I’m sure he got some feedback on his fitness through the year and in his exit interview.

That plus the number of small forwards now on the list, a fit Bennel who can play there and he will know he can’t slack off.

I do find it a bit odd that he’s a professional athlete but he seemingly wasn’t on top of his diet, eating sweets etc.

Maybe. Its my perspective, I think it’s the reason why Ballas was recontracted as well as Switta and Shultz coming in during Brandon’s time. If he isn’t best 22 and wrong side of 26 why is he on the list?
There is no doubt at all that, as with the rest of our list, our small/medium forward profile is in transition. We needed to get some more small forward options and drafted Switkoski and Schultz, and Ballantyne is on the list to guide and assist in their development I would think/hope.

Plus, on the off chance we actually show something this year, Ballantyne could be very handy.

Last thing we'd want in Lollybagger Matera thinking he's got the Golden Ticket.

There is no doubt at all that, as with the rest of our list, our small/medium forward profile is in transition. We needed to get some more small forward options and drafted Switkoski and Schultz, and Ballantyne is on the list to guide and assist in their development I would think/hope.

Plus, on the off chance we actually show something this year, Ballantyne could be very handy.

Last thing we'd want in Lollybagger Matera thinking he's got the Golden Ticket.

haha Harsh!! we do expect a lot of these guys, but yeah getting control of your diet is certainly important.

Remember when Colin Sylvia came to the club and thought he was fit? It was a reflection of the standards at Melbourne at the time.

Matera has come from a club that has been struggling both on and off the field for a few years. It isn't a surprise that the diet and fitness regimes at Gold Coast weren't too flash. Combine that with some injury niggles and after a decent start his performance fell off last year.

He certainly looks fitter this year and he'll be under no illusions regarding the competition for a spot as a small forward. If he can play at the level that he's shown he's capable of, he'll be an asset to to the team. If he doesn't, Switta, Colyer and Shultz might be fighting it out for the role. At least we have some options.

He's been making a few impatient people on here look silly this season.

I admit I had essentially put him in the "most likely writeoff" box before the season started. The last couple of weeks he and Switkowski has looked a bit like the Ballantyne and Walters of old.

Has definitely got a bit fitter although I have never got why people reckon he is slow moving; he took part in a grand-final sprint one year and I am sure he is actually pretty fast? Anyway...

He's been making a few impatient people on here look silly this season.

I’ll give credit, where credit is due.

Felt he had to extract his digit, he obviously has in many ways. The improved tall forwards & structure, has allowed him to play his role in a better manner.

Tick from me, just keep on truckin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big tick from me, and he appears to have an extra yard of pace. I expect this is mostly fitness related.

You really need to give credit where it is due, he work hard in the off season and it has worked for him. A great example to all of our players

FREMANTLE coach Ross Lyon says there is no secret to Brandon Matera's purple patch of form.

It is just plain old-fashioned hard work that has seen the former Gold Coast small forward fulfilling his "god-given" talent.

Lyon was quick to praise five-goal star Matera after watching the Dockers stave off the gutsy Western Bulldogs to register a fourth win for the season by 19 points in club great David Mundy's 300th game.

"It's a really complex formula – it's called hard work," Lyon said post-match.

"It's about going to the break and relaxing mentally but working physically and Brandon will say he had his best break for hard work and come back in condition."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-27/no-secret-to-materas-purple-patch-says-lyon

Very impressed by Brandon. The amount of running he has been doing in games has not gone in-noticed. But now he has the fitness to run back to goal at speed and finish off with goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Directly behind one of his set shots. Never wavered, straight through the middle. Has a great set shot technique.
A small forward playing as a medium as well. He’s deceptively quick now. Definitely shed the fat, and leaned up. Keep it going please Brandon!

The guy is a good player, and always knew where the goals were from a very young age. Keep playing him as the crumbed every week and he'll kick 3+ every week. Honestly would not surprise me if he was our leading goal kicker this year at this rate.

I admit I had essentially put him in the "most likely writeoff" box before the season started. The last couple of weeks he and Switkowski has looked a bit like the Ballantyne and Walters of old.
It is worth highlighting Switkowski here. They compliment each other and hopefully the chemistry really pays dividends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back