Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d prefer him over Kelly TBH.
Both Kelly and Warpol dropped into very mature teams, which can help fast track development. Like being surrounded by a stack of on-field coaches, who can also hold the physical line to give time and space.

Also you look at the u18's and there ain't no shortage of less than AFL standard kicking. Getting there can take a few years for plenty of the non-elite kickers.

You're entitled to your opinion and we are all very clear on where you stand regarding Brayshaw to the point that if you changed your mind on that, or at least your outward position on it, we would think something was up.

Even if he won a brownlow I'd expect you to post about how you knew all along he would be a star with tongue firmly in cheek because it's part of our board culture now that yyou doesn't rate Andy.
I think it's excellent that Memories, sorry, I mean yyou doesn't rate Brayshaw. Look at how that turned out last time. Became one of the best players to pull on the purple. Even more excited now for Brayshaw's future at Freo

I think it's excellent that Memories, sorry, I mean yyou doesn't rate Brayshaw. Look at how that turned out last time. Became one of the best players to pull on the purple. Even more excited now for Brayshaw's future at Freo
I was thinking it was just like the Memories situation, but with all the humour removed.

This thread title is misleading
Typical off season fare.

I predict a stronger start to Serong"s career than Brayshaw, who I think had a good start. There are more pieces in place which will help, but he is a mini bull in search of a china shop.

The noises the coach is making suggest Young and Serong might both play round one. Perhaps Henry as well. He sounds like he doesn't have many pre-conceived ideas, and most of the squad will need to impress him over the next two months. Even Colyer sounds like he's got his spot back;)

I think its more the other way around, I dont think there are any questions on his defensive game. He's our best two way running midfielder and has always tackled like someone twice his size. He's had to work on his kicking and forward craft more than anything

Yeah that's my point really although I didn't make it very well ;) Seems like he was told to focus on his defensive game at the expense of kicking and forward craft, which IMO Lyon did with alot of our young players (Switta, Crowden, Banfield etc). Switta was up there for number of tackles this year too. Looking forward to JLo developing the kicking and attacking skills in these guys, encouraging them to take the game on etc

I think what he means is he was directed by coaching to focus on defence and as a result his other skills dropped off.
He actually has a good kick but because his focus was purely on tackles and pressure it slid I think his disposal will get a lot better this year even training watchers have commented on his kicks being good this pre-season.

100% what I meant, thanks for seeing what my point was - I re-read my post and can see I didn't quite get it across haha

The noises the coach is making suggest Young and Serong might both play round one. Perhaps Henry as well. He sounds like he doesn't have many pre-conceived ideas, and most of the squad will need to impress him over the next two months. Even Colyer sounds like he's got his spot back;)

I’m certainly in that happy place believing we might have aced three genuine A grade stars. There’s just something in my bones re Young and Serong. And Henry will be fantastic icing on the cake.

I’ve really come around to serong also. I wasn’t too keen initially after just watching the wa v vic country final. I’ve now watched all the under 18 games and now very impressed. Very dynamic, good goal sense and always involved. Also went back and checked a lot of the earlier power rankings, before it gets silly just before the draft. Was consistently rated 3 or 4 on a lot of boards for most of the year.

In afl fantasy nab under 18s top player 1. Caleb Serong
Fwd/Mid | 178cm | 83kg

It will probably surprise many that Matthew Rowell’s name isn’t sitting at the top of this list. But this is no mistake. Serong had the highest average at the U18 Champs, going at 115 points per game. The highlight of his U18 Champs campaign came in round 4 versus South Australia, where he notched up 151 fantasy points. In this game, he had 22 kicks, 11 handballs, 9 marks and 9 tackles. His other performances of the competition included scores of 128, 89 and 90, scoring points through his tackle numbers (8.5 tackles per game). He’s been likened to Robbie Gray in the way he goes about it. Let’s hope he can spend more time in the midfield than up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In afl fantasy nab under 18s top player 1. Caleb Serong
Fwd/Mid | 178cm | 83kg

It will probably surprise many that Matthew Rowell’s name isn’t sitting at the top of this list. But this is no mistake. Serong had the highest average at the U18 Champs, going at 115 points per game. The highlight of his U18 Champs campaign came in round 4 versus South Australia, where he notched up 151 fantasy points. In this game, he had 22 kicks, 11 handballs, 9 marks and 9 tackles. His other performances of the competition included scores of 128, 89 and 90, scoring points through his tackle numbers (8.5 tackles per game). He’s been likened to Robbie Gray in the way he goes about it. Let’s hope he can spend more time in the midfield than up forward.
Gee if he does well enough in Fantasy the Media will have his name up for Rising Star

Gee if he does well enough in Fantasy the Media will have his name up for Rising Star

I figure Young will get a nomination this year. I’d love for both of them to get a nod.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd love to see Caleb as a starting mid for Freo, but if he up starting next season as a forward for Peel, can we get him to spend a bit of time with Ballas? Not that I want to groom Caleb as a Ballas replacement, but if he could pick up a bit of Bslla's gift for niggle, then next year is gonna be really Interesting. Ballas was ready and right to hang them up imo, but even though I don't miss Ballas habit of falling over, I really miss his gift for getting up the nose of other players... From the looks of him, Caleb could be (if he wanted) our perfect pest replacement. 😁😁😁😁

Boy oh boy did my buddy destroy the intra club today, first 10 seconds pings fyfe for holding the ball, and the last play of the match takes a brilliant pack mark, pencil him in for round 1 😍
As his buddy I believe you should be penning him in for round 1, penciling in for rising star win at minimum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back