Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

PurpleReign

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
I really dislike comparisons but I see a bit of Paul Chapman with him. Has the presence of mind to go for goals but also racks the ball up big time. Hands are really good and importantly his handling is very clean. No issues with his kicking style.
Three goals on the run from outside 50 in his highlights. I like!

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Welcome Caleb. May you be a 200+ gamer for Freo. He doesn’t have any elite stand out traits which I can see turns some people off. But he’s got a lot of what you can’t teach. Footy brain, a little nastiness, good decision maker. Give him a couple off seasons before we cast judgement. Im gonna back LeCras/Carr to get the most out of him.

Added bonus is that him and young are best mates. I think we will look back at this draft and offseason in a couple years as the point we made the turn upward. 3 top 10 picks will compliment our new coach and game plan nicely.

Our back 6 will be impenetrable with Young in there.

Go Freo!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just saw the extended highlights vid on FFC FB page and I feel more comfortable with this pick.
The Chapman comparison is fair, I think it’s the clean hands and body strength that mirrors him.

What I like is he has a body type/plays position that we don’t currently have - that power forward nugget.

Seems ready to play next year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our new assistant was once an inside mid with short man syndrome - reckon Caleb might become a similar player (maybe not quite so fiery)

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guy (who posters aren't sure about his kicking) gets drafted alongside the two best dual sided kicks in the draft pool - Young (long) and Henry (short). Nice.

His kicking looks fine to me. Those hands are elite though - friggin lightning fast and clean. He is also a tackling machine.

Mar 6, 2007
Florence
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Exers
It wouldn't be a proper Freo draft without a high pick being written off before he's even had his first kick at training.
Wouldn’t be a Freo draft without the recruitment staff screwing it up though, so a lot of those criticisms have probably been validated.

Although, it looks like we’ve nailed this draft from my uneducated viewpoint.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love the Shitcatcher already.

I suspected he was kind of a very expensive trackpony for Young but he’s actually got some serious street cred.

Kid can play.

is there a way to turn notifications for one person on?
every one of your posts is pure gold, incredible

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reckon Devon Smith would be his closest comparison.
Tackling machine, hard as a cat’s head, loves a goal when pushed forward, sub 180cm. Really looking forward to seeing what Caleb can do.

Not a bad comparison - although I see Devon as more a half forward turned into a mid whereas Serong is a bit the opposite.

Neale comparisons are apt with respect to a high clearance rate and feeding out handballs. However Serong loves a bear hug which our mate Lachie was never overly keen on.

Back