Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
He still does a lot of that for Brisbane imo. Sure there are clearance and CP wins, but also a whole lot of soft, stat padding stuff as well.
Neill for Freo always reminded me of Matt Priddis - got stacks of the ball, but it was pretty much Brownian motion, not something that would be concerning as an opposition supporter. Hopefully he'll end up being Freo's Nathan Buckley :)

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tonight should have sealed it really, him and Fyfe the main reasons we put up something resembling a shout the last 10 of the 3rd
Yep
Them 2 and big Darc, only ones who turned up today .
Must say I was pretty disappointed with that performance, was really looking forward to today's game and we are definitely better than that .
Luckily the Force has sent us Sarong

1600614984119.jpeg

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did anyone notice the bit ( can't even say when it was - don't want to rewatch that game it was crap ) when Serong was in the pack fighting for the ball .
It spilled to ground and instead of losing possession he kept control of it with his heals .
Little things but that boy is pure class .

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
2 plays that indicate to me his real potential for something special.

The 1 handed pickup in to a handball against Richmond.

Last night there was a pickup, spin and pinpoint kick along the boundary to Henry who unfortunately dropped the mark. Serong never really had full control of the ball but did have complete control all at the same time.

Incredible balance and skill combined with poise and execution. In a couple of seasons oppo supporters will hate commentators on our games because they won’t shut up about little but superb things like that when he does them, like they do with Naitanui and his ruck taps now.

I’ll forever remember that out of all the top ten listed draftees he was the one I wanted us to pass on the most. Whenever I get too worked up about any future pick Serong will forever remind me that mock drafts and write-ups are, at best, low grade info. Recruiters have so much more info and should be trusted, especially our current crop who have such a great recent record.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Love this kid, could be the best talent to walk through the door since Fyfe.

Good point, but wait and make this judgement, until the end of next season.

Maybe his "twin", Mr Young could be added to this best talent walking through the door theme.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice the bit ( can't even say when it was - don't want to rewatch that game it was crap ) when Serong was in the pack fighting for the ball .
It spilled to ground and instead of losing possession he kept control of it with his heals .
Little things but that boy is pure class .

I remember a play where he went to kick on the right, had it smothered, won the ball back, and kicked on the left instead. Was a bit of a mongrel kick but he kicked it to a spot he expected our players to be (and someone marked it). Sat there admiring his two-sidedness

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I remember a play where he went to kick on the right, had it smothered, won the ball back, and kicked on the left instead. Was a bit of a mongrel kick but he kicked it to a spot he expected our players to be (and someone marked it). Sat there admiring his two-sidedness
Yeah. It's matrix like.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Good point, but wait and make this judgement, until the end of next season.

Maybe his "twin", Mr Young could be added to this best talent walking through the door theme.

I would even potentially throw in Sturt in there. First game 3 goals and a rising star. Has the body where he could bulk up but still be quick. Not much to go on, I know, but if he gets a fair shake I reckon he’ll be a hell of a player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would even potentially throw in Sturt in there. First game 3 goals and a rising star. Has the body where he could bulk up but still be quick. Not much to go on, I know, but if he gets a fair shake I reckon he’ll be a hell of a player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
IIRC Sturt towelled up Quaynor in the under 18s. Quaynor looks bloody good. If Sturt can be better than him we’ve got a PLAYER!

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gold Coast needs a good story and Anderson will get it.
Listening to and reading a bunch of media outlets the past few days I’m expecting Noah Anderson to get the gong.

He has played more games that Serong and Serong’s first four games were quieter games. They both have similar averages.

Where Serong stands out is tackling and clearance work and the fact that he has lined up and performed very well (incl. some defensive efforts) on some of the stars.

It seems to be a bit of a poison chalice this Rising star award at times. Not always.

Serong deserves the award but I think Anderson will get it and Rowell likely for 2021. Makes a beautiful story for the two Vic boys at the end of next year.

Back