Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Caleb. But also (and meaning no disrespect to Noah Anderson as it is clear he will be a very good midfielder for years to come but) can someone explain how Anderson is comparable enough to tie for this year? For the same number of games Anderson was about 50 possessions less than Serong, 20 less clearances, didn't kick any goals to Serong's 8 goals...is it a concession because Gold Coast are not very good and don't have the Fyfes and Mundys etc. to back him up ?(Not that Fyfe was around that much this year)? But this is the player's votes isn't it?
How on Earth did Rowell come third?

The award is determined by who gets the most coaches votes in their first 2 years in the AFL. There is no actual age cut off, which is why Tom Stewart and Tim Kelly won it when they were 25.

Rowell had that crazy patch where he picked up a perfect 30 votes in 3 weeks, but they were the only votes he got over the 2 years.

How on Earth did Rowell come third?
Was wondering myself. But it is purely based on the weekly regular coaches votes ober 2 years:

"The pair received 35 votes each from the AFL coaches during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, finishing five votes ahead of Anderson’s Gold Coast Suns teammate Matt Rowell, on 30 votes. "

Strange method. A lot of young player will hardly be featured there even when they have good season. While Rowell got all his votes in those 3 games were he was best on ground. Somehow an anomaly that will not happen that often. Even more since Rowell missed the next 25 games over those 2 years (yes, he had those 2 games he was injured, don't count them).

I believed it to be a seperate voting process by the coaches before yesterday.

Was wondering myself. But it is purely based on the weekly regular coaches votes ober 2 years:

"The pair received 35 votes each from the AFL coaches during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, finishing five votes ahead of Anderson’s Gold Coast Suns teammate Matt Rowell, on 30 votes. "

Strange method. A lot of young player will hardly be featured there even when they have good season. While Rowell got all his votes in those 3 games were he was best on ground. Somehow an anomaly that will not happen that often. Even more since Rowell missed the next 25 games over those 2 years (yes, he had those 2 games he was injured, don't count them).

I believed it to be a seperate voting process by the coaches before yesterday.
Absolutely bizarre, and now we have a winner it needs to be changed.
How about first 50 games, with only the most recent 22 games votes counted?

Adelaide taking Fischer McAsey before Hayden Young and Serong... Yikes.

Apeness would have been a greal ruck/fwd if he wasn't cursed by the Injury Gods.

The amount of players we have drafted that could have been stars but became ****ed by the injury gods is staggering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of players we have drafted that could have been stars but became f’ed by the injury gods is staggering.
We’d have at least one flag if we’d picked Darling instead of Pitt alone. Or if Mora wasn’t made of glass the poor bastard. Cruel.

That wasn't much of a reach, think most draft watches had him as an early second round and Freo used a late first round. Sam Sturt was more of a reach that is looking like a bit of a bust right now...
I dunno, I remember more than a few draft watchers at the time saying that he should definately have been a pick in the 20s

I dunno, I remember more than a few draft watchers at the time saying that he should definately have been a pick in the 20s
Sturt was a cricketer. He changed half way through his draft year because it was apparent he wasn't good enough for cricket.

Never did an AFL pre-season which is why his combine endurance was dreadful. Played about 7 NAB league games including the GF where he kicked a couple of goals on Quaynor before he got moved off him.

He was low because he had barely played.

Different scenario, the talls this year we are possibly reaching for are better than/not injured like McAsey and Apeness.

Let me clarify, at pick 6(8) and 8(10), it wouldn’t be a reach for either Van Rooyen or Amiss. I’m hoping we go tall with at least 1 pick out of the first two picks we have and hope the underrated WA mids fall to our pick in the 20s. Warner, Johnson, Dittmar could slide to that 2nd round.

I'm wary of grabbing two KPP inside 10 unless you are sure they are both forwards. Last thing we need is to drop 10 on JVR and he ends up in defense. I'd rather best mid or medium forward at 8 and Amiss/best KPF at 10 (vice versa if needed).

JVR has literally played only a small handful of games in defense. He’s a legit tall forward. The absence of versatility for Bennings, Amiss and Williams forced JVR back. iMO he’s potentially the best key forward of the whole group.

I really like Amiss, I’m hoping we grab both JVR and Amiss with some luck. But I’m getting Todd Marshall / Jack Watts vibes from Amiss. JVR is like Hogan with his head screwed on right.

JVR has literally played only a small handful of games in defense. He’s a legit tall forward. The absence of versatility for Bennings, Amiss and Williams forced JVR back. iMO he’s potentially the best key forward of the whole group.

I really like Amiss, I’m hoping we grab both JVR and Amiss with some luck. But I’m getting Todd Marshall / Jack Watts vibes from Amiss. JVR is like Hogan with his head screwed on right.
It's fine as long as the club is sure he is a forward. We just can't drop another top 10 on a defender. Failed forwards going back happens all the time.

This is really the wrong place for this but:

Even within the state game on the weekend, Benning played the majority of his game time in the ruck (he only played forward in the last quarter) and Williams played ruck nearly all of the last quarter, and also defence for a bit as well. So it is not really correct to say that there is an absence of versatility amongst them; versatility is more probably both their strongest selling points at the next level.

Amiss is the only one that is a one position player, but given his ability with the ball on the ground (for a player his size to be able to play like a small as well as a tall) I think most will overlook that.

It is possible that in the next game (if there is a next game) JVR and Williams could swap positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back