Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

GOTY Caleb. Well done.

The kid is an Awards Magnet. I am tipping a Nobel Prize for Physics within 3 years.
Congrats.

And even apart from him being a Freo player, his goal was the best from the top 3. And probably the one I liked most from the ones I saw this season.

Ps But named mayor award on afl.com.au? Probably more a minor award.

Hell yes!!! I was worried that the sheer weight of numbers in terms of Melbourne voters would lose him an honor that quite obviously should have been his!

I will never admit to ballet box stuffing. And you can’t trace the 41,380 votes cast from America to me. Because it wasn’t me. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Well deserved Caleb. So glad he’s in purple.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I will never admit to ballet box stuffing. And you can’t trace the 41,380 votes cast from America to me. Because it wasn’t me. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Well deserved Caleb. So glad he’s in purple.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lol, a few burner email addresses, hey? ;)

I'm not going to say that I helped Sir Caleb win Goal of the Year...

1632097085695.png

...but I totally helped Sir Caleb win Goal of the Year.

1632097219867.png
Hope he gives me a drive in the car he won. They still win cars, right?

Caleb Serong credits Fremantle Dockers teammates for banana wisdom after Goal of the Year win
Craig O’DonoghueThe West Australian
Mon, 20 September 2021 9:36AM

[PLAYERCARD]Caleb Serong[/PLAYERCARD] with his Goal of the Year medal.

Caleb Serong with his Goal of the Year medal. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Fremantle star Caleb Serong has revealed he only learnt the right way to execute a banana kick this season and credits the private training sessions he did with Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra for winning the AFL’s Goal of the Year.
Serong’s brilliant goal against West Coast was crowned the best of the season at Monday night’s Brownlow Medal count. The 2020 AFL Rising Star was knocked to the ground but got back up and somehow bent the ball through the goals while tucked in the forward pocket.
Serong said he wouldn’t have been able to kick the goal last season.
“I couldn’t even kick a banana at the start of the year. I had to teach myself,” Serong told The West Australian.
“I couldn’t kick one more than 15 metres. I’d just shank it every time. I did a bit of work with Andy Brayshaw and Adam Cerra. Cez’s banana goal last year up in Cairns was better than mine. He taught me a few things.”
Serong said a fear of letting his teammates down if he took a mark on a difficult angle made him determined to improve his skills.
Players have turned the snap shot and banana kick into an art form inside 50, and Serong said he knew it was vital to add those skills to his arsenal.
I knew if I took a mark on the boundary line on that side, I’d probably have to go the left foot snap. I’m not very good at that,” he said.

“I didn’t back myself with the banana at all. It was nice for it to come off in that situation.”
Serong being interviewed.

Serong being interviewed. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos
Serong had a massive derby given he also won the Glendinning-Allan Medal.
But despite his brilliance and the awards, Serong insists the goal was more a case of playing on instinct than genuinely believing he was going to kick an extraordinary goal.
“It was a fluke. I wouldn’t be able to do it again,” he said.
It’s a nice acknowledgment. It was simply just get up as quickly as I could, smack it on the boot and hope it went through. I’m glad it did.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caleb Serong credits Fremantle Dockers teammates for banana wisdom after Goal of the Year win
Craig O’DonoghueThe West Australian
Mon, 20 September 2021 9:36AM

Caleb Serong with his Goal of the Year medal.

Caleb Serong with his Goal of the Year medal. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Fremantle star Caleb Serong has revealed he only learnt the right way to execute a banana kick this season and credits the private training sessions he did with Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra for winning the AFL’s Goal of the Year.
Serong’s brilliant goal against West Coast was crowned the best of the season at Monday night’s Brownlow Medal count. The 2020 AFL Rising Star was knocked to the ground but got back up and somehow bent the ball through the goals while tucked in the forward pocket.
Serong said he wouldn’t have been able to kick the goal last season.
“I couldn’t even kick a banana at the start of the year. I had to teach myself,” Serong told The West Australian.
“I couldn’t kick one more than 15 metres. I’d just shank it every time. I did a bit of work with Andy Brayshaw and Adam Cerra. Cez’s banana goal last year up in Cairns was better than mine. He taught me a few things.”
Serong said a fear of letting his teammates down if he took a mark on a difficult angle made him determined to improve his skills.
Players have turned the snap shot and banana kick into an art form inside 50, and Serong said he knew it was vital to add those skills to his arsenal.
I knew if I took a mark on the boundary line on that side, I’d probably have to go the left foot snap. I’m not very good at that,” he said.

“I didn’t back myself with the banana at all. It was nice for it to come off in that situation.”
Serong being interviewed.

Serong being interviewed. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos
Serong had a massive derby given he also won the Glendinning-Allan Medal.
But despite his brilliance and the awards, Serong insists the goal was more a case of playing on instinct than genuinely believing he was going to kick an extraordinary goal.
“It was a fluke. I wouldn’t be able to do it again,” he said.
It’s a nice acknowledgment. It was simply just get up as quickly as I could, smack it on the boot and hope it went through. I’m glad it did.”
Apologies for bringing a downer to the thread but it breaks my heart that Cerra's leaving. Clearly the players love him, and we truly are building something special. I know it's a 0.01% chance of happening, but I'd give my left nut and Clive signed football for him to stay.

Caleb Serong:
Rising Star Nomination ✅
Rising Star Win ✅
Coaches Best Young Player ✅
Mark of the year
Goal of the year ✅
Derby Medal ✅
Club B&F
League B&F
Coleman Medal
Norm Smtih
Premiership

You know this kid is twenty, right?

Caleb Serong:
Rising Star Nomination
Rising Star Win
Coaches Best Young Player
Mark of the year
Goal of the year
Derby Medal
Club B&F
League B&F
Coleman Medal
Norm Smtih
Premiership

You know this kid is twenty, right?
Pick o' the bunch!

Funny reading that list an image of Rowell rocking backwards and forward in the dark came my mind. He was muttering "Those were mine. Mine I tell you. Mine. Mine..."
Rowell's career peak so far is playing a deep forward stoppage on Serong (I think, his debut game) where he breaks through and kicks a goal.

He did his knee the next game and hasn't been the same player since.

Caleb ate his soul as revenge for that moment, absorbing his powers.

Rowell's career peak so far is playing a deep forward stoppage on Serong (I think, his debut game) where he breaks through and kicks a goal.

He did his knee the next game and hasn't been the same player since.

Caleb ate his soul as revenge for that moment, absorbing his powers.
I remember that goal. First and last time Caleb will let his man get goal side at f50 stoppage in his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back