Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw him on the news tonight
He’s a bloody little ripper
Definitely future captain material

I only just learned about his 193cm tall bro who plays fwd for Gippsland... wonder if he's similarly talented
A draft number isn't everything but given Caleb went in the top 10 and his brothers range is 3rd rounder to rookie, i'm gonna guess probably not. Although it seems his brother doesn't have a permanent position being played all around the ground. So maybe if given a chance in one position in an afl environment he'll thrive. Worth a punt honestly. Maybe Eagles will draft him like they did Hamish Brayshaw that way in brings his brother to Perth and we don't have to awkwardly delist him and risk alienating Caleb.

I'd be curious to see what sort of younger brother he is, some are desperate to set themselves apart and forge their own path and given Caleb is a super motivated professional that wouldn't be good. He might also be the sort of young man who tries to emulate his older brother, this goes in two ways because he can be a hard worker to make his own name or he can be a super team orientated motivated young man who doesn't just want to win - he wants to win with his brother and be the better of the two.

The sort that you see flying into the melee because someone put a cheap shot on Caleb with the psycho eyes. Each of the brothers driving the other to be better because they are competitive beasts.

There's potential for something special but a lot of things need to line up.

I'd be curious to see what sort of younger brother he is, some are desperate to set themselves apart and forge their own path and given Caleb is a super motivated professional that wouldn't be good. He might also be the sort of young man who tries to emulate his older brother, this goes in two ways because he can be a hard worker to make his own name or he can be a super team orientated motivated young man who doesn't just want to win - he wants to win with his brother and be the better of the two.

The sort that you see flying into the melee because someone put a cheap shot on Caleb with the psycho eyes. Each of the brothers driving the other to be better because they are competitive beasts.

I like that punt!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're bringing back fond memories of the Carr brothers flying the flag. Use pick 6 on Jai, I reckon!

I think we have the potential for the Serong family name to be a very famous Freo name.

Take the punt Belly.

Did you ever find out if this was true?

I asked Jock about it last year on Twitter and he was a little cagey about it but I think they are. I’ve had a little to do with him in the past and will try and get a straight answer out of him next time I rub shoulders with him.

I'm beginning to think that Caleb may become the best player we've drafted after Fyfe and Pav. Leadership team in his third season, Rising Star, Glendenning Allen Medal in his second year and so much more to come.

Maybe too early to call it, but feels like his ceiling is higher than Andy's from a pure playing perspective - I think Andy brings other aspects to the club (like creating a culture where Vic kids want to stick around [for the most part]).

I love everything about the way he does his job. Having Andy and Caleb lead our midfield for the next 10 years is insanely good. I'm dreaming of the day clubs look at our midfield the way we all looked at Hawthorn 2013-2015 - how the f%$^ are they meant to match us?

I'm beginning to think that Caleb may become the best player we've drafted after Fyfe and Pav. Leadership team in his third season, Rising Star, Glendenning Allen Medal in his second year and so much more to come.

Maybe too early to call it, but feels like his ceiling is higher than Andy's from a pure playing perspective - I think Andy brings other aspects to the club (like creating a culture where Vic kids want to stick around [for the most part]).

I love everything about the way he does his job. Having Andy and Caleb lead our midfield for the next 10 years is insanely good. I'm dreaming of the day clubs look at our midfield the way we all looked at Hawthorn 2013-2015 - how the f%$^ are they meant to match us?

Comparing to our current players is difficult. I don't think he has the same top level as Brayshaw but think he will be an AA and consistent A grader. My questions on his top level would be how damaging can he be by foot and goals. Everything else is a tick.

As for best player drafted apart from Pav and Fyfe. I have a Sandi and Mundy on the list in an almost unreachable upper tier, but I understand the enthusiasm, he is a brilliant get.

Being in the leadership group is massive, he obviously has the respect of the group and coaches.

Comparing to our current players is difficult. I don't think he has the same top level as Brayshaw but think he will be an AA and consistent A grader. My questions on his top level would be how damaging can he be by foot and goals. Everything else is a tick.

As for best player drafted apart from Pav and Fyfe. I have a Sandi and Mundy on the list in an almost unreachable upper tier, but I understand the enthusiasm, he is a brilliant get.

Being in the leadership group is massive, he obviously has the respect of the group and coaches.
Hopefully it'll be like comparing Selwood to Cotchin with those two.

All of that is fair - it's purely gut feel that I think he's going to ultimately be a better player than AB. Also worth acknowledging that they have slightly different roles.

There's something about this kid that makes me think he could be one of those players that drags his team into another level of performance.

I think it's also telling that we don't really discuss him or his role in the team (and I don't think we have needed to since JL graduated him from the tagging role in year 1). He's 20 and would be a B22 midfielder in almost every team in the comp. He's like Walsh and I think if he was in Vic he'd be the toast of the comp, moreso than he has managed to be even hidden away over West.

Well purely on potential, the midfield of Brayshaw, Serong, Erasmus and Johnson has beast written all over it
If Erasmus and Johnson develop like they project from pre-draft, and are durable like Serong and Brayshaw have been, wowee boy oh boy!

Each one of them would complement each other so well. A great mix of size, skill, power and all inside/outside players too. Serong the least in/out but he has said he enjoyed a bit of wing this pre-season, and has done some brilliant inside 50 kicks in his time.

Our 2nd pick in 1999 = Pav
Our 2nd pick in 2009 = Fyfe
Our 2nd pick in 2019 = Serong

I rest my case

Remove this Banner Ad

Back