theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The thinking was that many of these blokes would need to give up jobs/ apprenticeships/careers, possibly shift girlfriends/wives/families for a gamble on a potential 3 month marginal spot on a list.
Fair enough, but don't nominate if it doesn't fit for whatever reason be it financial, acreer risk, family/girlfriend. For someone like Deluca it is almost a last chance. Seems a pretty good opportunity to do some paid work experience with a chance of a job at the end of it

By the way I don't have any issue with what players are paid, including this mid season draft.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
The draft know it alls on here are obsessed with drafts and aren't even employed by the numpties who generally are in charge of drafting. Says a lot.

I know some people fap over knightmare. I don't know why. I'm not for nba moment thinking Dylan will be an awesome pick up but Knightmare always gives detailed views on players that play in leagues other that the Vic TAC or state squad like he's actually seen them play. This baffles me how someone can form an honest opinion.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair enough, but don't nominate if it doesn't fit for whatever reason be it financial, acreer risk, family/girlfriend. For someone like Deluca it is almost a last chance. Seems a pretty good opportunity to do some paid work experience with a chance of a job at the end of it

By the way I don't have any issue with what players are paid, including this mid season draft.
Yep, there's plenty of money in the AFL to be able to offer a bit extra for those at the fringes. From this distance it pretty easy to not account for the sacrifices over years to get this close, for most of them it won't progress much further than being on the list for this year and maybe the next.

Plus I'm sure the AFL wanted to reduce any possible impediments for the best players to nominate for the draft.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know some people fap over knightmare. I don't know why. I'm not for nba moment thinking Dylan will be an awesome pick up but Knightmare always gives detailed views on players that play in leagues other that the Vic TAC or state squad like he's actually seen them play. This baffles me how someone can form an honest opinion.
Did he put anything resembling a bare skerrick on the line and say who Freo should've picked up? Also baring in mind, these guys are the equivalent of the last pick of the 2018 AFL/Rookie Draft.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Knightmare has stated in his fox sports blog that Freo has achieved the biggest missof the draft.

He isn't plug and play nor has he developed. He doesn't rate him at all.

Your thoughts Chris25
Chris did reply to Knightmare on his draft page, basically going on his U18 games, year, Dillion was comparable
to Cox.
To write someone off at 19?
The ability was there just not the work ethic.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Did he put anything resembling a bare skerrick on the line and say who Freo should've picked up? Also baring in mind, these guys are the equivalent of the last pick of the 2018 AFL/Rookie Draft.
He seems to fall for the same trap that low level journalists do; needing to write something out there and controversial to get the readers in. This is a case in point.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Knightmare has stated in his fox sports blog that Freo has achieved the biggest missof the draft.

He isn't plug and play nor has he developed. He doesn't rate him at all.

Your thoughts Chris25

My thoughts on Knightmare? I think that’s well known. If they’re from outside Vic, he just reads stats and forms an opinion from there. He said he hadn’t seen O’Reilly this year.

I tried to point out that no rookie pick can be a miss. Because if they don’t pan out, basically nothing is lost. But he kept pointing to stats and saying how we already have tall forwards, so why would we draft another one.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Do these kids on six month contracts still get paid 50 grand?

****. That's good.

If you get your scaff/RA certs you can go offshore and earn more than that in two swings. I’d say footballers have to work harder for less.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
My thoughts on Knightmare? I think that’s well known. If they’re from outside Vic, he just reads stats and forms an opinion from there. He said he hadn’t seen O’Reilly this year.

I tried to point out that no rookie pick can be a miss. Because if they don’t pan out, basically nothing is lost. But he kept pointing to stats and saying how we already have tall forwards, so why would we draft another one.

He's as thick as s**t.
you pointed out he'd been injured in the two games he's played and he kept swinging.

If you start from the assumption that he's a massive swiller of his own bath water everything makes sense

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Would be nice just like the olympics if we had state of origin, WA, SA, to knock the Vics off their high horse.
Sure Victoria by weight of numbers fill the draft, always quality available if you delve deeper.

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would be nice just like the olympics if we had state of origin, WA, SA, to knock the Vics off their high horse.
Sure Victoria by weight of numbers fill the draft, always quality available if you delve deeper.
I wonder if anyone has ever done the numbers on % of the players that are drafted from each state that go on to play 150 afl games or something like that. Would be interesting to do similar with city vs country.

He's as thick as ****.
you pointed out he'd been injured in the two games he's played and he kept swinging.

If you start from the assumption that he's a massive swiller of his own bath water everything makes sense
I think stubborn and arrogant are probably more accurate. Will flat out refuse to change his opinion or acknowledge he might be wrong despite any evidence.

His best traits are his patience with muppets on his thread or being asked the same thing repeatedly, time given and understanding of Vic kids. Do not give any thought on his opinions on WA kids

Waterhouzin

Team Captain
Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't see how at 193 / 194 cm's O'Reilly can be quoted as 79kegs ?

The photos / vids on here show him to be a fairly decent size already. Anybody seen him playing live or up close and have a more informed view if this is old info? No doubt we'll get him in the gym soon enough either way.

Hey just a bit of random non-related info re gym work - I did read a comment somewhere on here a week or two ago saying that weights doesn't equate to speed. On the contrary some info I've researched indicates that the #1 indicator of a persons 100mtr sprint time (apparently according to some coaches of the US track and field team) is something often referred to as a "force number" which equates to a persons maximum squat with a hex bar divided by their body weight (say 200kg hex-squat / 90kg body weight = a force number of 2.22) the higher the number the faster the time.

It's basically a power to weight measure and for some reason the specifics of a hex squat relates the closest to leg speed - If any of our S & C guys are reading get the hex bars out and get the blokes into it !!

Cheers

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Has O’Reilly played forward all year? Nope.

Yea but he’s still a hack because he hasn’t kicked goals. If we saw him as just a key forward we wouldn’t have drafted him imo.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't see how at 193 / 194 cm's O'Reilly can be quoted as 79kegs ?

The photos / vids on here show him to be a fairly decent size already. Anybody seen him playing live or up close and have a more informed view if this is old info? No doubt we'll get him in the gym soon enough either way.

Hey just a bit of random non-related info re gym work - I did read a comment somewhere on here a week or two ago saying that weights doesn't equate to speed. On the contrary some info I've researched indicates that the #1 indicator of a persons 100mtr sprint time (apparently according to some coaches of the US track and field team) is something often referred to as a "force number" which equates to a persons maximum squat with a hex bar divided by their body weight (say 200kg hex-squat / 90kg body weight = a force number of 2.22) the higher the number the faster the time.

It's basically a power to weight measure and for some reason the specifics of a hex squat relates the closest to leg speed - If any of our S & C guys are reading get the hex bars out and get the blokes into it !!

Cheers

He definitely looked less than 80kg in his promo photo shots after the draft. Needs to hit the weights big time!

So Dillon couldn't run during his U18s year because his shins were giving him grief.
I did read a comment somewhere on here a week or two ago saying that weights doesn't equate to speed. On the contrary some info I've researched indicates that the #1 indicator of a persons 100mtr sprint time (apparently according to some coaches of the US track and field team) is something often referred to as a "force number" which equates to a persons maximum squat with a hex bar divided by their body weight (say 200kg hex-squat / 90kg body weight = a force number of 2.22) the higher the number the faster the time.
This is a fairly reliable indicator of how well they will run.

You will get significant improvement in your running times from deadlifting with a hex bar, only lifting - dropping it will mean you get far less sore.

Back