Toast Welcome to Freo: Dillon O'Reilly

Remove this Banner Ad

Knightmare went as far as suggesting (on twitter) that we drafted O'reilly because we don't think McCarthy has a future.

Who’s our key defenders after Hamling, Pearce and Logue? I still reckon the long term plan is for all to be best 22. We have Cox we can swing back but it’s not ideal if he’s already in the side as a forward.

Nothing to do with up forward imo. Alex Pearce had played about as much defence before he was drafted than O’Reilly has.

More to do with us not rating Kersten as an out and out key defender imo.

Last edited:

Knightmare went as far as suggesting (on twitter) that we drafted O'reilly because we don't think McCarthy has a future.

LOL - he has no idea, and is clearly picking on Freo as an easy target. O'Reilly will not be playing a game this year, and it is a wait and see thing - McCarthy is a unique member of our team, and he is fringe for a reason, so is O'Reilly meant to replace him in the two's? Well thought out.

It is rubbish IMO. McCarthy will stay on our list on talent alone. You have a guy coming from seconds in state league, and a guy that came from a team going for finals that they did not want to let go of....in fact they wanted 2 first round "real" draft picks. They rated him, we rate him - he has had issues, and has to work through.

Yeah Knightmare....nah you are so far off the mark... we want McCarthy to have a long future at Freo. He is close to our best kick, and he has shown enough. Next will be "O'Reilly was drafted to replace Hogan and McCarthy, and do the ruckwork occasionally".

It is a free hit for a KPP player that they can have a close look at and see if he is worth persisting with. Clearly, if Sutcliffe is getting drafted it is fairly slim pickings. I can guarantee that if McCarthy was available he would have gone number 1 in the mid draft without question.

Anyone know if he takes a main list spot or he is a rookie? Given we could have grabbed him with the last rookie draft pick I hope he isn't on the main list.
He is listed on the rookie list on freo website. I imagine he will stay there. Giro will probably be upgraded if we follow through on our agreement with him.

Giving McCarthy a one year deal, doesn't"t scream confidence.
Hasn't O'Reilly played predominantly in the back line since we drafted him though? He seems to be more of a backup tall defender for us at the moment considering we have quite a bit of depth in the tall forwards department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't O'Reilly played predominantly in the back line since we drafted him though? He seems to be more of a backup tall defender for us at the moment considering we have quite a bit of depth in the tall forwards department.
Seems to be the case. He even played back for EF this season, from what I read. He has played his best footy as a forward though, at colts level at least. Be interesting to see if they encourage him to keep up his forward craft, as well.

He is listed on the rookie list on freo website. I imagine he will stay there. Giro will probably be upgraded if we follow through on our agreement with him.
Yea Giro and Hughes are getting upgraded which makes room for O'Reilly and Carter on the Category A rookie list.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if Carter went straight to the senior list tbh but I'd be extremely surprised if he stays as a Category B rookie. I think the standard rookie list making him available for selection is most likely though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back