Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan’s gone backwards since he got injured last year. Was on track for AA before injury though, his intercept marking was one of, if not best in comp for a while. Kicking has always been good, not great simply because he doesn’t take risks.

Hughes for me is worse because he is slower at making decisions and often makes the wrong one on top of it. Was very good on the weekend

Ryan is elite at intercepting, especially for his size. Otherwise he’s overrated.

He’s a better player than Hughes but the gap isn’t huge at all.

bruzaar62

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Why doesn't wilson do the kick ins,thats the one thing he's good at,most of the time ryan goes for the 20 metre pass into the pocket(next door to useless)or the safe bomb down the line -very rarely to clear advantage.i would like us to be more attacking from the kick ins and i think wilson or young would be better options

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
There were mixed views on last year's draft but it might be shaping to be a really strong pool.

Rowell, Anderson, Young, Pickett, Greene all looking like quality players (also liked the look of Serong on the weekend). Hopefully this bodes well for Henry - can't wait for him to be in the team!

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
It not what he says it's what he does.

He split up with his partner and went on a spiritual trip.

He's a devout Jehovah's Witness

Provide me one shred of evidence that God exists and that being a Jehovah's Witnesses is the true path to eternal bliss and I'll renounce my atheism.

It's not up to me to disprove God but for religious people to prove God. Religion is faith, not fact, yet these sheep believe their God to be factual.

Not a Jehovahs Witness, but why is it up to Rance or anyone to prove anything to you?

Maybe I'm misreading, but your comment comes off in a way that it seems like you care more that he has a faith then anything he's actually done.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
There were mixed views on last year's draft but it might be shaping to be a really strong pool.

Rowell, Anderson, Young, Pickett, Greene all looking like quality players (also liked the look of Serong on the weekend). Hopefully this bodes well for Henry - can't wait for him to be in the team!

Last time we had 3 players taken in the top 10 was Hasleby, Pavlich, and Brown. So obviously I expect all 3 will be stars at the very least.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Very generous calling Leigh Brown a star. Solid AFL player maybe.

Even a little kind to Hasleby tbh.

Yeah, but it all sounds less impressive when you say you want the kids to be "good AFL players" instead of stars.

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not a Jehovahs Witness, but why is it up to Rance or anyone to prove anything to you?

Maybe I'm misreading, but your comment comes off in a way that it seems like you care more that he has a faith then anything he's actually done.

Because he quit footy for his religion, what makes anyone think he won't do it again after he signs a contract?

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nathan is a religious man too. It doesn't actually matter. If Alex can play good football and not disrupt the dynamic of the club, while being cheap, then it could be great for our constantly depleted defense
Agree with this. His religious beliefs are totally irrelevant. I’d be delighted to see 22 jehovahs witnesses on the park every week for freo if they won us a flag.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan is elite at intercepting, especially for his size. Otherwise he’s overrated.

He’s a better player than Hughes but the gap isn’t huge at all.

Man I wish people would stop calling our good players overrated, for one you can't be a Freo player and be overrated in this league considering most of our players are invisible to everybody else. Neale was constantly bagged for some reason even though he's elite, as he was when he played for us. And Ryan has been one of our better kicks and playmakers off half back ever since he debuted for us and was genuinely tracking towards AA last year. Not sure why he's looking like a shell of himself this year, but hopefully it's a case of form is temporary class is permanent.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Man I wish people would stop calling our good players overrated, for one you can't be a Freo player and be overrated in this league considering most of our players are invisible to everybody else. Neale was constantly bagged for some reason even though he's elite, as he was when he played for us. And Ryan has been one of our better kicks and playmakers off half back ever since he debuted for us and was genuinely tracking towards AA last year. Not sure why he's looking like a shell of himself this year, but hopefully it's a case of form is temporary class is permanent.
He's having to play tall. His best work was zoning off opposition smalls. He has had to shift deeper and swap on the talls with Hughes.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
It not what he says it's what he does.

He split up with his partner and went on a spiritual trip.

He's a devout Jehovah's Witness

Provide me one shred of evidence that God exists and that being a Jehovah's Witnesses is the true path to eternal bliss and I'll renounce my atheism.

It's not up to me to disprove God but for religious people to prove God. Religion is faith, not fact, yet these sheep believe their God to be factual.
fair enough. But what's that got to do with kicking a football around a field? Many of WCs premiership team go to weekly mass put on at the club's chapel. Didn't seem to harm their chances. Rance at Richmond still won them a cup. That's all the evidence I need to see. You haven't identified any reason why picking up Rance would harm our chances of success because "he's a religious nut job". He would instantly be our best KPD and help stop the sh5tshow we have watched the past two weeks.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Exactly, which is why having him another possession down the chain makes him more effective.
I know it's a different era now, but I think one of the hardest/most structurally important players we've had to replace was Duffield.
Ibbotson intercept mark, handball to Duff and we were away. Duffield rarely turned the ball over and here's hoping Young can grow into that role.

Back