Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid is gonna be a jet. Plays like Luke Ryan desperate defensively and an interceptor but with a better kick (and decision making?) which is incredible.

We will have an historic backline....one that you look back on as of legendary status.

I liked when he said he had his "Freo family" with him.

Serong said the same thing in his post signing presser. I put this squarely on JLo’s shoulders. He has made a big impact in the culture of the team in a crazy, shortened season. If you can’t feel that the players are clearly buying in to not only the game plan but the organization you need to get ya head checked.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Serong said the same thing in his post signing presser. I put this squarely on JLo’s shoulders. He has made a big impact in the culture of the team in a crazy, shortened season. If you can’t feel that the players are clearly buying in to not only the game plan but the organization you need to get ya head checked.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
All the messaging coming out from the players re-signing is how stoked they are to be there and how much they have bought in to the club and the list we are building and how much the love JLo.
So happy with this one, this boy can REALLY play.
The only one that will make me happier is Cerra signing on again.

All the messaging coming out from the players re-signing is how stoked they are to be there and how much they have bought in to the club and the list we are building and how much the love JLo.
It's funny a couple of decent performances and people have gone from fretting he is a bust to reanointing him the second Pendles. Cerra is a nice to have. Young will be a star of the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny a couple of decent performances and people have gone from fretting he is a bust to reanointing him the second Pendles. Cerra is a nice to have. Young will be a star of the competition.
Regardless of the jury deliberation and whether he's a pendles or a journeyman type - my thoughts about him is, I wouldn't want to lose him as he's one of a handful of key investments the club has made. When you consider his close company and the talent in that group, you'd hate to see cracks forming in that long term vision the club has.

I'm not sure if you're including me in those people. For the record I've done neither (thought him a bust or compared him to Pendlebury).

I was impressed by his pedigree pre-draft and have liked the cut of his jibe since. He's consistently improved different aspects of his game since being here and although I thought it was strange Lyon played him as a defender he made a decent fist of it and probably improved aspects of his game that he might not have otherwise. I have no doubt JL would have treated him more like Serong played him as a mid/wing straight up and who knows where he'd be. We will never know.

This year in a couple of matches I thought he showed enough to be able to say with confidence he will be in the upper ranks of AFL midfielders in years to come. Smarts, Class and Skills like he has to go with his professionalism, dedication and leadership make him almost a certainty to succeed.

Plus he's the Vic Metro kid who could walk into a big contract with almost every Melbourne Club to go home. Retaining him will go a long way towards unifying our group even further. Like King signing early with Gold Coast or Coniglio with GWS.
Cerra and Brayshaw are seen as the next level of leaders after Fyfe and Mundy.

I agree. I've always been a fan of Cerra, but he's almost cream on top now. I think we'll end up with the best two players from last year's draft. How things are looking up.

I agree. I've always been a fan of Cerra, but he's almost cream on top now. I think we'll end up with the best two players from last year's draft. How things are looking up.
I am extremely bullish and have never felt this confident. I was cautiously optimistic we were building something in 2009. Pretty excited when I saw things click in 2012 (I can even pin it down. It was defeating Power away, Rd 18. The wave after wave of pressure was irresistible. We were 9 and 7 under Lyon to that point. From then to the end of the 2015 season we went 55-22).

This time I really think the building blocks are potentially dynasty level.

I am extremely bullish and have never felt this confident. I was cautiously optimistic we were building something in 2009. Pretty excited when I saw things click in 2012 (I can even pin it down. It was defeating Power away, Rd 18. The wave after wave of pressure was irresistible. We were 9 and 7 under Lyon to that point. From then to the end of the 2015 season we went 55-22).

This time I really think the building blocks are potentially dynasty level.
I'm all for getting carried away, but the reason I am still reserved is KPP and especially the forwards. The KPDs are quality but always injured (even Hammer who had been durable). I think that will improve but the forward line is a massive issue. I think Tabs is good enough but is already 27. Lobb is serviceable but not 2nd banana quality (also 27) and Hogan is a massive question mark.

We need to nail 1-2 quality KPFs over the next 2-3 years to have any chance at a dynasty, and we'll likely have to do it with picks outside the top 10.

Really needed McDonald to have a decent year rather than an amazing one.

Proof that the Hub was a positive experience for the Freo Club.

I'm all for getting carried away, but the reason I am still reserved is KPP and especially the forwards. The KPDs are quality but always injured (even Hammer who had been durable). I think that will improve but the forward line is a massive issue. I think Tabs is good enough but is already 27. Lobb is serviceable but not 2nd banana quality (also 27) and Hogan is a massive question mark.

We need to nail 1-2 quality KPFs over the next 2-3 years to have any chance at a dynasty, and we'll likely have to do it with picks outside the top 10.

Really needed McDonald to have a decent year rather than an amazing one.
I have a good feeling Hogan and Henry will put paid to those lingering question marks by mid next season. We're building something special here.

You can add Tobe Watson to this list as well. It's really exciting that all of these young guys are saying the exact same thing. JLo's consistancy of messaging is working. "Play your role and your opportunities will come".

I have a good feeling Hogan and Henry will put paid to those lingering question marks by mid next season. We're building something special here.
reckon Sturt will slot in damn nicely as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back