Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah, but if it had gone wrong, then disaster. But when it goes right! But even though it didn’t lead anywhere THAT time, that potential is fabulous and will change how the opposition can defend. well, fingers crossed!
He got it very right, but it is not just about him. That ball must be marked or we are wide open. Still, exactly what I hoped we'd see from him.

Kicking and intercept marking as advertised but what was really impressive was some of his handballing. Some lethal kicks are terrible handballers as they've always been told to kick. Particularly those who play off half back.
Agree with this. We have had some horrible displays of handballing from some players this season and it was really great to see Young displaying this underrated skill so well.

Serong reminds me a lot of Haselby. But Young is Hodge. I’m backing him to be the best player on our list in no time.

Reminds me of a Mundy of about 21-22 years old.

A bit of Daniel Rich and Mundy in him. Elite kick like both of them. Bit of a lumbering type like Mundy (Rich is slow but that hasn't held him back).

Wouldn't mind seeing him develop into more of a large midfielder with elite kicking skills, which would complement Brayshaw, Serong really well.

We seem to be covered for rebounding half back flankers, particularly once Chapman comes back. Chuck him in the middle.

Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young plus Fyfe, Mundy for a few more years. Need more midfield depth in future though. Hopefully we get Erasmus and Henry comes on.

A bit of Daniel Rich and Mundy in him. Elite kick like both of them. Bit of a lumbering type like Mundy (Rich is slow but that hasn't held him back).

Wouldn't mind seeing him develop into more of a large midfielder with elite kicking skills, which would complement Brayshaw, Serong really well.

We seem to be covered for rebounding half back flankers, particularly once Chapman comes back. Chuck him in the middle.

Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young plus Fyfe, Mundy for a few more years. Need more midfield depth in future though. Hopefully we get Erasmus and Henry comes on.
Personally I agree with you, and would have a long discussion with Fyfe about playing 80% forward. Challenge him to become the forward we need right now., and spend the preseason getting it to function.

this is an absolute no brainer. we need fyfe forward, like lyon didnt tolerate pav going midfield.

midfield is excellent (maybe need another winger and better depth, henry can be the winger)

defence is excellent, walker, chapman and young replace hughes, wilson and conca

forward line is a deadset warzone.

currently
tab
lobb
treacy
banfield
colyer
shultz
crowden
switkowski
Henry

Next year
Treacy (more dev + preseason)
Tab
Fyfe
Walters/henry (rotate forward/wing)
Sturt
Draftee?
Hughes (defensive fwd?)
one of: Shultz, Swit
Western

surely we can create better scoring and have targets ahead of the ball that can halve or win more 1v1's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to hayden talk today i was thinking gee that voice doesn't seem to match the face. First time i heard him speak.

Got a pretty deep voice for a youngster.

Looks a ripper by the way and what about his quote "The future is now".

Has JL created his own sayings for the group

Listening to hayden talk today i was thinking gee that voice doesn't seem to match the face. First time i heard him speak.

Got a pretty deep voice for a youngster.

Looks a ripper by the way and what about his quote "The future is now".

Has JL created his own sayings for the group
I’m pretty sure ‘being the best I can be’ is a club mantra. They say it a lot.

Personally I agree with you, and would have a long discussion with Fyfe about playing 80% forward. Challenge him to become the forward we need right now., and spend the preseason getting it to function.
CHF. Had his name all over it from day one. Slim down a bit, and kick 10000000 goals under every possible condition. Have Pav coach him, 1:1 for the entire preseason.

this is an absolute no brainer. we need fyfe forward, like lyon didnt tolerate pav going midfield.

midfield is excellent (maybe need another winger and better depth, henry can be the winger)

defence is excellent, walker, chapman and young replace hughes, wilson and conca

currently
tab
lobb
treacy
banfield
colyer
shultz
crowden
switkowski
Henry

Next year
Tab
Fyfe
Sturt
Draftee?
Hughes (defensive fwd?)
Western

surely we can create better scoring and have targets ahead of the ball that can halve or win more 1v1's

There is no way Wilson is anywhere near getting replaced any time soon. His average game is better than the best games Walker and Chapman have produced for the club. Hughes will be back in the 22 pretty quickly too if he produces the form he produced pre-injury.

Conca is three weeks away from being delisted and hasn’t played in weeks despite being fit. No ones replacing him now - it happened half way through the season.

Young’s performances are actually on another level to Walker and Chapman who’ve shown glimpses.

There is no way Wilson is anywhere near getting replaced any time soon. His average game is better than the best games Walker and Chapman have produced for the club. Hughes will be back in the 22 pretty quickly too if he produces the form he produced pre-injury.

Conca is three weeks away from being delisted and hasn’t played in weeks despite being fit. No ones replacing him now - it happened half way through the season.

Young’s performances are actually on another level to Walker and Chapman who’ve shown glimpses.
You do understand that Walker and Chapman are in their first season atthis level don't you mate?

You do understand that Walker and Chapman are in their first season atthis level don't you mate?

What difference does that make when talking about our best 22? People are talking like they’re already better players than Wilson which is simply not the case or even close. I really don’t get why people want to replace a very good rebounder so desperately.

We’re talking a gap in performance that’ll take 3-4 years to cover at least by which time Wilson will be beyond 30.

I don’t think my post writes off Walker or Chapman in any way, shape or form. I actually think Chapman will be quite special tbh. Talking about Wilson like he’s about to lose his spot to first year players is simply inaccurate.

Last edited:
Except that Haselby was fat, lazy and soft.
You mean Rising Star, AA, 4 Derby medals, 6 x Top 5 Doig Medals including a r/u, back and groin injuries, knee reco, 200+ games for our club Hasleby? That guy?
The one that led hard ball gets and contested possessions in 4 separate seasons? The clearance machine with his fast hands out of a pack? That Hasleby?
Hase is so very underrrated on this board.

Agree on Fyfe (provided he can sort out his goalkicking). He is clearly feeling the effects of years of crashing into bodies in the packs and has also stated he is very worried about the effects of concussion. Time may be nigh to extend his career by sending him forward, pinch hitting in the middle when needed like Pav did (wish he could kick like Pav!!).

Hopefully we can get some further x-factor in our forward line with someone like Motlop in the draft, who becomes our Ky Pickett and/or Sturt. I'm not sold on Traecy.

Back to Young. He's a future goalkicking mid IMO, his ceiling is the highest there. Could become an absolute weapon.

Agree on Fyfe (provided he can sort out his goalkicking). He is clearly feeling the effects of years of crashing into bodies in the packs and has also stated he is very worried about the effects of concussion. Time may be nigh to extend his career by sending him forward, pinch hitting in the middle when needed like Pav did (wish he could kick like Pav!!).

Hopefully we can get some further x-factor in our forward line with someone like Motlop in the draft, who becomes our Ky Pickett and/or Sturt. I'm not sold on Traecy.

Back to Young. He's a future goalkicking mid IMO, his ceiling is the highest there. Could become an absolute weapon.
It isn't just that Fyfe can do it (pending a preseason dedicated to the role), it is also that our young midfielders are maturing rapidly, and the move would be beneficial to them.

Serong reminds me a lot of Haselby. But Young is Hodge. I’m backing him to be the best player on our list in no time.
I think he just looked like had played 100 games against Richmond. You could be right but I have Brayshaw as our best youngster at this stage .Liked Young from the first time I saw him play . Said to my wife "this kid can play" , I said the same thing to my wife the first time I saw Pavlich play and I can't remember any other time I have said it . Could it be an omen?

currently
tab
lobb
treacy
banfield
colyer
shultz
crowden
switkowski
Henry

Next year
Tab
Fyfe
Sturt
Draftee?
Hughes (defensive fwd?)
Western

Hughes as a forward??? Looks like a player who prefers the ball in front of him and not that agile . And if Sturt is fit he plays that medium height forward role .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back