Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hope Freo see him as a midfielder long term. If he's getting 25+ touches a game he'll be one of the best in the comp.
Why cant he just play half back and get better at winning the ball and attacking more as his career goes on? Would love him to play a bit like Goddard in his prime years and just attack off half back with long kicking. I want Ryan and him to rotate on the oppositions least skilled tall as soon as possible so they can run off and attack like Hurn does against us so often.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
How does getting 25+ touches off halfback equal ball-winning midfielder? You probably liked Zac Clarke the midfielder didn't you..
Not nearly as much as David mundy CHB.

For the record Young played 3 games in the midfield for Dandenong at the end of the year in which he averaged 25 possessions and a goal a game.

Last edited:

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why cant he just play half back and get better at winning the ball and attacking more as his career goes on? Would love him to play a bit like Goddard in his prime years and just attack off half back with long kicking. I want Ryan and him to rotate on the oppositions least skilled tall as soon as possible so they can run off and attack like Hurn does against us so often.
That would be a good outcome. However if he could do that in the midfield it would be akin to recruiting Pendlebury or a young Mundy.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
People are saying Pendlebury comparisons which is great but honestly, the vibe I get from this guy is his ceiling could be Mundy going beast mode in the 2nd half of the GF.

So goddamn excited to see this guy develop!

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah was great but all I can think of in my funk at the moment is how much Hawthorn and Carlton are going to be in his ear over the next two years. You just know it will happen

Back