Universal Love Welcome to Freo - Heath Chapman (Pick 14 2020 National Draft)

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was not sold on picking a defender, but you can't deny how good his footage looks. One thing I noticed is how quickly he moves the ball on after picking it off. There is no mucking around, even when he has hit the deck.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Coached his dad when he first moved to WA in the early 2000’s.

He was mid 30’s by then & it was his last year of footy but he was a very good FF/CHF in his day. Hes a Victorian & kicked a lot of goals in the Vic amateurs. And I mean a lot of goals.

I’m sure Heath has played forward in his junior career, but as a third tall defender he is a much better option than Cox in that role in a year or 2. Cox is more suited as the number 2 defender, but with Logue, Hamling & hopefully Pearce all fit, Cox needs to embrace the swing man role for a couple of years.

Just love the way Chapman hits the ground running & has midfielder written all over him, possibly a winger the way he spreads & keeps on running after his disposal.

So excited by this kid & would have played more senior footy if WP colts were struggling. Blessing in disguise because if he played senior footy, he would have gone well before our pick.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I accidentally posted this in the Noddy thread but both of the articles on the Freo website both mention that although Chapman has played is a key intercepting defender, they can also see him on a wing or as a mid.

Great overhead, good kick of both feet and pacy. He’s the winger we’re screaming out for.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Definitely feels like this was best available rather than filling a need. With that said I'm not sure we can have too many good football players and characters at the club, and I'm sure we'll find a way to fit Chappy in when he's ready.

Eo2Ub7PU8AAuCPY.jpg

For those worried about the size of him, here he is compared to the key position players drafted #4 and #6.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
View attachment 1026040

For those worried about the size of him, here he is compared to the key position players drafted #4 and #6.

Looks like Chapman is the only one standing up straight. Which on the positive side means we have the WA first round pick that's least likely to have scoliosis.

+ played mid and forward until U16s where they moved him back.
Dogs supporter growing up, had a fanboy smile when he mentioned Joel Hamling sending him a message

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
+ played mid and forward until U16s where they moved him back.
Dogs supporter growing up, had a fanboy smile when he mentioned Joel Hamling* sending him a message
* and Mathew Boyd.

Back