Universal Love Welcome to Freo - Heath Chapman (Pick 14 2020 National Draft)

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Shame that we don’t.

You are right that won’t. It’s poor player management and is stuck in the past.

Load management is the way of future. They do it in the NBA and NFL.

JLo has covered this in several of his interviews - especially when talking about Valente. The lack of 18 v 18 reserve games meant that many of those close to the 22 were not able to keep match fit and they were concerned (especially for those coming off long injury lay-offs) that they would run the risk of another bad injury. It's why Logue and Tucker weren't rushed back, and to a large extent why Colyer kept coming in as a late replacement - he wasn't so undercooked because of the games earlier in the season.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nice highlights reel. Can mark, kick, intercept, sell candy, second efforts etc. What I like the most is that he has the trust of his team mates, they don't blink at passing the ball to him instead of kicking it themselves.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
JLo has covered this in several of his interviews - especially when talking about Valente. The lack of 18 v 18 reserve games meant that many of those close to the 22 were not able to keep match fit and they were concerned (especially for those coming off long injury lay-offs) that they would run the risk of another bad injury. It's why Logue and Tucker weren't rushed back, and to a large extent why Colyer kept coming in as a late replacement - he wasn't so undercooked because of the games earlier in the season.
Do you think that we may load manage in the future?

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014

He also said something along the lines of players should be able to play through soreness and it seemed like he wanted to increase resilience. No idea how sound that is physiologically.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
It was on this postgame interview.

What sort of space are you in to make some changes? Is that going to be likely over the coming period?
It’s something we will look at. If it’s not this week on our four-day break, then with the game after we’ve got a five-day break, so we will start looking to give some players a rest if they need to. Also, on the other hand I think it’s a good opportunity for our players to actually build some resilience and understand how much work the body can handle. So I think if they are up to it, we will look to give our players as much game time and as many games over this period as we can. I think it’s a good thing for (Andy) Brayshaw and (Adam) Cerra to have to back up and learn to tolerate playing with a bit of soreness. It won’t hurt them in the long run, it will just build resilience in our group. We’re not just going to rest players for the sake of resting players. They will have to be sore, and have something wrong with them to get that luxury.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Do you think that we may load manage in the future?

I think he’ll want to see what players like Valente, Chapman, Sturt, Henry and O’Driscoll can do. So I expect each to play 5-10 games - but there’s no need to expose them to full seasons, unless they start to impose themselves in the way Serong did and effectively force themselves into the best 22 (Sturt may well do).

I also expect second year players like Young and Serong, plus older players such as Mundy and Hill have the odd week off to rest.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was on this postgame interview.

What sort of space are you in to make some changes? Is that going to be likely over the coming period?
It’s something we will look at. If it’s not this week on our four-day break, then with the game after we’ve got a five-day break, so we will start looking to give some players a rest if they need to. Also, on the other hand I think it’s a good opportunity for our players to actually build some resilience and understand how much work the body can handle. So I think if they are up to it, we will look to give our players as much game time and as many games over this period as we can. I think it’s a good thing for (Andy) Brayshaw and (Adam) Cerra to have to back up and learn to tolerate playing with a bit of soreness. It won’t hurt them in the long run, it will just build resilience in our group. We’re not just going to rest players for the sake of resting players. They will have to be sore, and have something wrong with them to get that luxury.
Interesting discussion to have. Resilience vs Rest.

I do think it’s on a case by case bases.

Resilience is a great thing but playing through injury may lead to long term issues is foolish. Depends on the injury.

Previous to last season, our young guys lost stream at the second half of the season.

Some of the younger bodies can’t cope with a full season. Long term it may shorten their career. Always felt rookies should play 3 games in a row then have a rest.

Older guys I think having strategic breaks can assist them getting through a season or playing another year ie Mundy not going interstate 1 or 2 games a year.

Load management can be positional chances ie Fyfe or Mundy playing forward.

Minute restrictions can come into as well.

It’s a long season and it’s impossible to play at 100%, 100% of the time.

They find out what their 100% is by expecting their regular performance standard while playing sore and tired. You don't learn what you're capable of by guessing or hoping. In this circumstance they had immediate feedback on the value of their recovery and preparation, they got to see their mental walls broken down by playing through what they previously might have called their rest spot.

Now they expect more from themselves. Now they can push harder in the first quarter because they know they can push through it in the fourth.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Interesting discussion to have. Resilience vs Rest.

I do think it’s on a case by case bases.

Resilience is a great thing but playing through injury may lead to long term issues is foolish. Depends on the injury.

Previous to last season, our young guys lost stream at the second half of the season.

Some of the younger bodies can’t cope with a full season. Long term it may shorten their career. Always felt rookies should play 3 games in a row then have a rest.

Older guys I think having strategic breaks can assist them getting through a season or playing another year ie Mundy not going interstate 1 or 2 games a year.

Load management can be positional chances ie Fyfe or Mundy playing forward.

Minute restrictions can come into as well.

It’s a long season and it’s impossible to play at 100%, 100% of the time.

I think if you're injured they wouldn't make you play, or if you're too sore. If there's nothing wrong with you then you play. It was probably a decision for the the development of the young players this year with a view of next year, to make the most of the shortened quarters. I thought the playing group held up pretty well across the season.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
They find out what their 100% is by expecting their regular performance standard while playing sore and tired. You don't learn what you're capable of by guessing or hoping. In this circumstance they had immediate feedback on the value of their recovery and preparation, they got to see their mental walls broken down by playing through what they previously might have called their rest spot.

Now they expect more from themselves. Now they can push harder in the first quarter because they know they can push through it in the fourth.
Yeah, it changes the narrative about what players say to themselves and how they mentally restrict themselves. If your mindset goes from 'Am I going to be okay to push myself here?' to 'I know I can push myself more', then that changes your impact.

Yeah, it changes the narrative about what players say to themselves and how they mentally restrict themselves. If your mindset goes from 'Am I going to be okay to push myself here?' to 'I know I can push myself more', then that changes your impact.
It's part of why winners win and losers lose. When you learn that you can feel like you're about to lose and just keep in the contest longer until you win, you stay in next time too.

But I get it, my coaches would probably be considered abusive now saying things like "Tailz, run now, complain later" and "Pain is temporary" and "if you let me down I'll disown you for the shame you bring your mother and I".

You have to learn that your mind is your most powerful muscle.

And I was joking about my dad saying that.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

If you push outside of the flow state you do more harm than good.

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have a mate who plays for the Falcons league team and has for many years now. Haven’t seen him for a bit but did today and asked him about Chapman (obviously).

He said Heath is a great kid, and is absolutely going to be player at the next level. My mate has been very noncommital about other Falcons in the past when we’ve talked about prospects. Liked all of them as friends but didn’t think any were worth a shot up in the AFL ranks...until our chat today.

He’s absolutely sure he’ll be a very good AFL player. He said Heath just needs to put some kilos on (clearly) but has no real deficincies that won’t be easily worked on at the top level.

He’s a leader at training, great with his teammates and really knows the patterns of the game. Importantly, he said his mid/forward potential was huge. Didn’t think he’d be a backman unless Freo needed help back there, which we don’t.

Apparently most clubs who spoke to Heath forecast a future with them outside the key back posts. Only 1 club wanted to develop him as a KPD because that’s what they needed (GWS maybe) but all others discussed his future in multiple roles.

1 other team said if they could trade up to the top 10 they’d take him but couldn’t get a trade done.

He said before the draft Heath was saying he’d go anywhere but privately was very hopeful he’d get picked by us. He also thought Noddy would get picked before him.

So, that’s all I’ve got that I thought would be of interest. Not all of it is news I know but thought I’d share regardless.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I have a mate who plays for the Falcons league team and has for many years now. Haven’t seen him for a bit but did today and asked him about Chapman (obviously).

He said Heath is a great kid, and is absolutely going to be player at the next level. My mate has been very noncommital about other Falcons in the past when we’ve talked about prospects. Liked all of them as friends but didn’t think any were worth a shot up in the AFL ranks...until our chat today.

He’s absolutely sure he’ll be a very good AFL player. He said Heath just needs to put some kilos on (clearly) but has no real deficincies that won’t be easily worked on at the top level.

He’s a leader at training, great with his teammates and really knows the patterns of the game. Importantly, he said his mid/forward potential was huge. Didn’t think he’d be a backman unless Freo needed help back there, which we don’t.

Apparently most clubs who spoke to Heath forecast a future with them outside the key back posts. Only 1 club wanted to develop him as a KPD because that’s what they needed (GWS maybe) but all others discussed his future in multiple roles.

1 other team said if they could trade up to the top 10 they’d take him but couldn’t get a trade done.

He said before the draft Heath was saying he’d go anywhere but privately was very hopeful he’d get picked by us. He also thought Noddy would get picked before him.

So, that’s all I’ve got that I thought would be of interest. Not all of it is news I know but thought I’d share regardless.
Excellent post. Thank you.

Back