Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand your point and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's Chris Judd or Gary Dhurrkay (one of the best field kicks i've seen).

I'm just trying to give a bit of perspective to see if the opinion I had, like others, that he is a woeful kick is true. Turns out - it's not.

You've posted again (I assume you read the stats?) that "he’s a poor kick and has no other feature".

I've posted his KE% that confirm his kicking is statistically better than others in his position. In fact, it's just 2% less than Nick Daicos, who is widely considered one of the best in the league. It's up to you if you want to take that on board or ignore it.

I don't agree he has no other features. I think he has an excellent work-rate, good defensively (terrific tackling technique), holds his width really well, good at the contest, strong (big body), decent above his head and has an awesome attitude, loves the club and you can see he lifts the team when he pops a goal.

If he gets consistent games, he'll improve. Time at the crease if the greatest teacher.
cant take those KE% stats seriously, NOD would be a 50/50 chance to actually get boot to ball last year

in saying that though i do hope last year was an aberration, but really its probably more likley that 2022 was the aberration where he was pulling goals out his arse. but he does have some qualities which he didnt show last year, good runner, good size, should be a more contested winger than others as well. will have to see how he goes this year

Fremantle Dockers recruit Jeremy Sharp wants to own wing position after signing on as SSP player​

Samantha RogersThe West Australian
Wed, 29 November 2023 11:14AM

Jeremy Sharp revealed he has “so much fire in the belly” to own the wing position at Fremantle after officially signing with the club.
The Dockers secured the 22-year-old on the first day of the pre-season supplemental selection period, after he was delisted by Gold Coast at the end of the season.
Sharp impressed his new teammates by setting the pace alongside Olympian Peter Bol during 1km time trials on Monday, motivated to earn his spot in the side.
“Moving home is that added pressure but it’s pressure that I really thrive on, it’s really exciting for me as well,” he told personal trainer Body Majic’s podcast Fat Chat.
“With all the stuff that’s happened in the past, it’s almost made me even more hungry to get to the top level and stamp myself in the competition.
“I’m just hungry to go, I’ve got so much fire in the belly to own a position out there and play some good football at Optus (Stadium).”
The speedster is zeroing in on the wing role vacated by Liam Henry, who departed for St Kilda during this year’s trade period.
“There’s a spot there,” he said. “It’s just up to me really, if I want to put the work in.”
A homesick Sharp opened up on the “gut-wrenching” moment when his request to return to Perth at the end of 2022 was denied.
“It was an interesting stage for me. I loved the club, loved everyone involved there. Loved the playing group, coaches,” he said.
“It was just a decision for myself and my family, that I thought it would be best to get home... I was still a contracted player so it had to be a fair deal between the two clubs and in the end it didn’t go through.
“It was no hard feelings on the Gold Coast, I was still happy to go back there (the) next year but for myself and my football, I just really wanted to get home.
“(It was a) bit of a gut-wrenching feeling for me but like I said, it was easy knowing I was going back to the Gold Coast.
“But in that initial phase, 24-48 hours, it was all pretty raw. But I had to move on pretty quick.”
Sharp said he’d “be lying if I said it wasn’t hard” in 2023, with teammates knowing he wanted to go home.
“At the start, it was. I felt like I was getting looked at differently... I wasn’t but for myself I just thought that,” he said.
“That initial phase was really difficult but as the year went on, it got a lot easier.”
After playing in the Suns’ VFL premiership this year, Sharp headed overseas on a four-week holiday.
“Once I got back from Europe, they (Gold Coast) called up and said ‘we’re not going to give you a contract for next season’,” he said.
“Which at first was a little bit raw, but knowing that there could be another opportunity for me at another club, I was still pretty optimistic about what could happen there.”
Sharp played 23 games for the Suns across four seasons after being drafted with pick No.27 in 2019.

Not to harp on about Henry or anything but that fire in the belly stuff really is the complete opposite attitude to Henry. If Henry had that determination he'd be an absolute star imo

Not to harp on about Henry or anything but that fire in the belly stuff really is the complete opposite attitude to Henry. If Henry had that determination he'd be an absolute star imo
is it? henry got dropped to WAFL kept on working putting in solid performances, got his chance back in the seniors and put in some very impressive performances? doesnt that speak to his determination

is it? henry got dropped to WAFL kept on working putting in solid performances, got his chance back in the seniors and put in some very impressive performances? doesnt that speak to his determination

I think he made up his mind to leave in 2022 when the going got tough and he wasn't getting a game. His WAFL performances towards the end of last year were awful and he apparently tried to leave. He was also copping it from the fans so I don't blame him, but he clearly decided to mentally check out and just play out 2023. He did have some good performances towards the end but the decision to leave was made a long time ago imo

He sparked up in the second half of the season but imo it was to attract interest from other clubs. I reckon he had already made a decision to move on and had to impress to do that, I may be wrong in saying that but its just how I interpreted it. Will be interesting to see if he puts in the same effort at St Kildanow that hes landed a contract. Lazy footballer.

This is a false narrative, Henry has worked hard since he was a teen to be an AFL player

He has been dropped to reserves and didn't drop his head, he was frequently one of our better players at wafl level

People just look at his outfits and take the piss, he was a hard worker, he built his tank massively to be able to run up and down a wing all day and it started paying dividends for him late last year

Henry leaving and Sharp arriving has created an interesting selection dynamic.

There's a spot up for grabs and we have multiple contenders. Fantastic.
Agreed, let’s get this thread back on track, Sharp is an excellent addition to the squad, there’s stiff competition for the position he plays but he certainly has to tools to make our starting 22.

When i say he has no other feature, i'm talking about no other feature that separates him from his competition. He has features - but at this stage others in the team have the same if not better features, Sharp also has a big body but can run better. Johson has a big body and can also play inside. Aish has flexibility to play other positions. Ask yourself the question - who is he forcing out of the team for that wing position given his last run of form. Sharp is untried with us but will no doubt get first crack. Chapman, Johnson, Aish, Stanley and Sharp are all potential wingers along with others as well. it's competitive in there.

My issue is that he's getting spoken about so much as our future, or potential future wingman, and I hope that's true, but in the last 12 months he's hardly set the world on fire. Every list has these guys, loveable characters, plenty of potential, but in reality they dont make it. Lets just temper our expectations here. In my opinion he needs to display improved form at WAFL, with a solid run of form before being considered. He played very poorly for Peel late last year, it was really disappointing. No matter how well he trains over pre-season, he's going to need to show impressive form on-field.

Also, Kicking Efficiency as a number is dangerous territory to get into, to simply use it on its own. I'm sure Brennan Cox has a fantastic KE when he chips sideways 15 times a game in uncontested situations. Also, when you have 5 kicks a game compared to 20, it's a lot easier to increase your KE%. Also if you play 5 games in a year compared to 20, its very easy to have a strong KE. I don't ignore the stat, but looking at the number by itself is misleading. if you're comparing the kicks of Daicos and Dris, just by looking at the KE% you're on the wrong track.

And I agree, kids need a go (time at the crease) which he was given last year, but he didn't perform well so lost his spot. He then went back to Peel and performed poorly to round out the year. There's only so much time you can give someone. He needs to be banging the door down and right now he'd be down the pecking order.
I agree with a lot of this. But, I wasn't comparing him to players like Brennan Cox. Maybe go back and read the post?

I agree with a lot of this. But, I wasn't comparing him to players like Brennan Cox. Maybe go back and read the post?
Facepalm. I know you werent comparing him to Cox. I used Cox purely as an example to show that looking at kicking efficiency numbers can be vastly misleading. You compared the KE of Dris with Daicos - Daicos plays lots of games and gets lots of kicks, unlike Dris, therefore comparing those numbers is apples and oranges, vastly misleading. Not sure if you're understanding the concept of averages and percentages.

Because he wanted to go to Melbourne..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facepalm. I know you werent comparing him to Cox. I used Cox purely as an example to show that looking at kicking efficiency numbers can be vastly misleading. You compared the KE of Dris with Daicos - Daicos plays lots of games and gets lots of kicks, unlike Dris, therefore comparing those numbers is apples and oranges, vastly misleading. Not sure if you're understanding the concept of averages and percentages.
I already stated I tried to compare him to players in his postilion (ie not misleading). It's in my original post. Not having a go, but please go back and read it again. You're not understanding the point I was making so you're off on a tangent whilst I'm actually agreeing with you.

cant take those KE% stats seriously, NOD would be a 50/50 chance to actually get boot to ball last year

in saying that though i do hope last year was an aberration, but really its probably more likley that 2022 was the aberration where he was pulling goals out his arse. but he does have some qualities which he didnt show last year, good runner, good size, should be a more contested winger than others as well. will have to see how he goes this year
I am sure that last year was the anomoly. He was being prepared by the coaching staff to play the wing position in his first season. But he was injured before they had a chance to try him out at Peel.He proved in 22 that he could play the position.A bit harsh when he kicked quite a few "out of his arse".We see plenty like that thata re boosted up by the commentators.Some have it, some don't. I think Noddy has it.
He became complacent with preseason last season gone. Lost fitness and was injured. He has learnt the wrongs of his ways and has trained hard pre pre season.
I look forward to seeing his back to 22 with improvements in 24.

This is a false narrative, Henry has worked hard since he was a teen to be an AFL player

He has been dropped to reserves and didn't drop his head, he was frequently one of our better players at wafl level

People just look at his outfits and take the piss, he was a hard worker, he built his tank massively to be able to run up and down a wing all day and it started paying dividends for him late last year
Didn't drop his head.... really. Wasn't that bandied about for his want to leave.
Yes he came back and played some good footy., towards seasons end.. But I think there was a reason for him improving his game. He wanted out and he knew it a long way from home that he wasn't staying.His only chance was to play good footy. Which he did.
But I don't see him as being a huge loss.

I already stated I tried to compare him to players in his postilion (ie not misleading). It's in my original post. Not having a go, but please go back and read it again. You're not understanding the point I was making so you're off on a tangent whilst I'm actually agreeing with you.
No I'm quite on topic.

Ive seen your edit "Edit - just had a look at the stats and NOD has a KE of 67% I was trying to find a wing with similar to see if that's good, and the closest was Isaac Smith, who is considered an elite field kick. Langdon 63% and Acres 61%.
Turns out our impression of NOD's field kicking being poor is a furphy!
Oh, and to tie this all in to Sharpie - his KE is 59%."

My point which i've already said is KE is not a stat you can rely on. Dris has played 22 career games. Acres 145, Ed Langdon 157 etc etc. In Dris's games he's averaged less kicks than these guys as well. My point, again, is achieving a higher % is easier in a small sample size. I'd be hugely suprised if Dris would have that level of KE if he'd played over 100 games and if he was kicking at least 12 kicks a game. There's probably games where Dris has had 2 kicks and hit the target both times, giving him a KE of 100%, whereas Acres may have 12 kicks in a game (his average) and hit the target 10 times, but he still gets a lower KE.

And yes RE Isaac Smith, its why he's been such an amazing player. 280 games and a KE of 67% when he averages 15 kicks a game. to play that many games and have that many kicks is phenomenal. Combine the numbers with actually watching the guy play as well, he's not just taking easy chip kicks to pump up his stats.

No I'm quite on topic.

Ive seen your edit "Edit - just had a look at the stats and NOD has a KE of 67% I was trying to find a wing with similar to see if that's good, and the closest was Isaac Smith, who is considered an elite field kick. Langdon 63% and Acres 61%.
Turns out our impression of NOD's field kicking being poor is a furphy!
Oh, and to tie this all in to Sharpie - his KE is 59%."

My point which i've already said is KE is not a stat you can rely on. Dris has played 22 career games. Acres 145, Ed Langdon 157 etc etc. In Dris's games he's averaged less kicks than these guys as well. My point, again, is achieving a higher % is easier in a small sample size. I'd be hugely suprised if Dris would have that level of KE if he'd played over 100 games and if he was kicking at least 12 kicks a game. There's probably games where Dris has had 2 kicks and hit the target both times, giving him a KE of 100%, whereas Acres may have 12 kicks in a game (his average) and hit the target 10 times, but he still gets a lower KE.

And yes RE Isaac Smith, its why he's been such an amazing player. 280 games and a KE of 67% when he averages 15 kicks a game. to play that many games and have that many kicks is phenomenal. Combine the numbers with actually watching the guy play as well, he's not just taking easy chip kicks to pump up his stats.
Nah - you're miles off now. The discussion was re Sharp (22 yrs//23 games)/NOD (21 yrs/22 games) potentially filling the 2 wing positions. Not about how many games other's in the stats I used have played.

Happy to leave it here and move the discussion back to Sharp.

Nah - you're miles off now. The discussion was re Sharp (22 yrs//23 games)/NOD (21 yrs/22 games) potentially filling the 2 wing positions. Not about how many games other's in the stats I used have played.

Happy to leave it here and move the discussion back to Sharp.
Good idea , Who is this Henry person you all speak of?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back