Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Joel Western (Pick 54)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad for him that he ended up being picked in the national draft rather than cat b for his sake. Sure, some of the numbers guys on here won't agree because it would be less riskier and cheaper for the club, etc, etc, but IMO for his feeling of belonging, not a second class citizen but a real part of the draft group when he's been talked about so much recently as being linked to the club etc., I'm sure it is a massive boost for him mentally. Really happy for him.

Honestly, if he was 5cm taller he'd be top 5 and I'm still scratching my head as to how he went so late, he just has so many AFL qualities
- Driven, determinted character
- Absolutely rapid
- Really clean hands on the pick-up and through disposal
- Vision and calmness under pressure
- Evasive

If he had a bit more size he'd be an unstoppable inside mid with his speed and ability by hand.

Him and Henry could be dynamite in that forward 50 for the next 15 years

The 20m sprint testing is mostly useless imo. It certainly isn’t an accurate gauge of how quick a player is or plays.
Agreed. Scott Jones ran a 20 metre sprint time quicker than most at his draft combine. Meant nothing as he was slow on a footy field. Western looks quick on a football field which is way more important. While Chapman, Walker and O'driscoll also look quick on the footy field too.

Honestly, if he was 5cm taller he'd be top 5 and I'm still scratching my head as to how he went so late, he just has so many AFL qualities
- Absolutely rapid
- Evasive

If he had a bit more size he'd be an unstoppable inside mid with his speed and ability by hand.

Here's some scouting info from the year he played as bottom age player at the national carnival in 2019. Looks promising.

- Absolutely rapid
- Evasive

The next generation Ballantyne and Walters?

I can see this bloke obtaining cult status among the purple faithful.

Interesting facts on Joel.
Did his early footy learning in Dunsborough where he grew up.
His old man John played at East Perth & Subiaco mid to late 80’s, mainly reserves but may have played a few league games as a nuggety back pocket & previously supported Geelong.
His mum is a DeSilva, born in Singapore, hence the NGA allowance.
His dad is best mates with Michael Mort, ex Subiaco player who will one day shortly be on the board at Freo. Michael Frederick has been living with the Morts since arriving in WA & is very close to Joel.
Joel is a natural footballer who has always had a football in his hand & will leave no stone unturned to make it.

Good luck Westy & welcome to Freo.

Interesting interview with his dad here.

John Western (11/12/20) | Sports Breakfast (spreaker.com)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scout notes from Joel Western's major U18 games before draft (AFL Draft Central). He had a pretty good month of football

WAFL Colts Finals week 1 22nd of September

IN WEEK one of the Simply Energy WAFL Colts Finals Series, Claremont defeated Subiaco by 15 points to advance through to the Grand Final, while East Fremantle knocked off West Perth to earn a spot in week two.

Below were the standout players from either game. Please consider that each set of notes showcases the opinions of our scouts individually, and there are only so many players we can keep an eye on each week.

#10 Joel Western

The Fremantle Dockers’ Next Generation Academy member was electric in the middle for the Tigers. He finished with 24 possessions (12 contested), 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 2 rebounding 50s, 2 marks and a goal.

WAFL Colts GF 3rd of October

SUBIACO took out the 2020 WAFL Colts Grand Final on Sunday, trumping reigning premier and warm favourite, Claremont by 59 points at Fremantle Oval. Our scouts were on hand to take note of some of the outstanding performers, including AFL Academy members, Next Generation Academy prospects, and recent National Combine invitees.

Please consider that each set of notes showcases the opinions of our scouts individually, and there are only so many players we can keep an eye on each week.

#10 Joel Western

The smooth moving captain of Claremont did all he could to try and get his side over the line. A strong four-quarter performer, he could hold his head high. Western was very silky playing through the midfield, often running from congestion with ease and delivering multiple slick handballs. While not always accurate, he was getting plenty of penetration on his kicks and he would have likely had the most metres gained from his side. Western showed he had a few tricks with a scissor kick over his head in the last quarter – although not exactly effective, it did show his athleticism. Western finished the game with 25 disposals and the Fremantle NGA prospect will now look towards the All-Star games taking place in the next few weeks to continue to show to recruiters his special talent.

WA U18 All Stars 11th of October

THE 2020 Western Australia Under 18 All-Stars went head-to-head on Saturday, with a bunch of budding AFL Draft prospects boosting their stocks in Game One. Fremantle Next Generation Academy member Joel Western was named best afield as Team Black came up trumps by 55 points. Our scout, Ed Pascoe was on hand to jot down his notes on some of the big performers and familiar names.

#1 Joel Western

Fremantle supporters must be thrilled, but also annoyed that Western keeps impressing and improving his standing in this year’s draft, with the small and nippy midfielder doing what he does best – exploding away from stoppages with his elite speed. Western loved the supply he got in the ruck from fellow Claremont player Kalin Lane and he would always make the most of his clearances, bursting away and driving his side forward. Western would also hit the scoreboard with a nice goal on the run, followed by another from a mark and easy set shot conversion. He could have had even more goals if he were a bit more accurate on the run. His size hasn’t worried him and he plays very similarly to emerging Richmond midfielder Shai Bolton, with his clean hands and speed a real worry for opposition midfielders. He was named best on ground which was certainly deserved.

WA U18 All Stars 18th of October

THE 2020 Western Australia Under 18 All-Stars went head-to-head for a second time on Saturday, serving as the final chance for budding WA draft prospects to impress AFL recruiters. Potential top five selection Denver Grainger-Barras was ultra-impressive, leading Team Gold to a mighty turnaround from game one in his side’s 55-point victory. Claremont prospect Max Spyvee won best afield honours, while last weekend’s most valuable player, Joel Western sustained a nasty finger injury. Our scout, Ed Pascoe was on hand to jot down his notes on some of the big performers and familiar names who took the field.

I think belly may have gone and hurt his finger to stop him from drawing too much more attention, haha! Stoked that a bid came late (even if he nearly snuck into CAT B). I think we can still add a Cat B before the start of the season, so maybe C.Walker or K.Haddow get the opportunity.

This Footy Yarn video is also a laugh. Hopefully he can become our next Sonny with some extra speed (Ballas/Sonny Hybrid).

Scout notes from Joel Western's major U18 games before draft (AFL Draft Central). He had a pretty good month of football

WAFL Colts Finals week 1 22nd of September

IN WEEK one of the Simply Energy WAFL Colts Finals Series, Claremont defeated Subiaco by 15 points to advance through to the Grand Final, while East Fremantle knocked off West Perth to earn a spot in week two.

Below were the standout players from either game. Please consider that each set of notes showcases the opinions of our scouts individually, and there are only so many players we can keep an eye on each week.

#10 Joel Western

The Fremantle Dockers’ Next Generation Academy member was electric in the middle for the Tigers. He finished with 24 possessions (12 contested), 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 2 rebounding 50s, 2 marks and a goal.

WAFL Colts GF 3rd of October

SUBIACO took out the 2020 WAFL Colts Grand Final on Sunday, trumping reigning premier and warm favourite, Claremont by 59 points at Fremantle Oval. Our scouts were on hand to take note of some of the outstanding performers, including AFL Academy members, Next Generation Academy prospects, and recent National Combine invitees.

Please consider that each set of notes showcases the opinions of our scouts individually, and there are only so many players we can keep an eye on each week.

#10 Joel Western

The smooth moving captain of Claremont did all he could to try and get his side over the line. A strong four-quarter performer, he could hold his head high. Western was very silky playing through the midfield, often running from congestion with ease and delivering multiple slick handballs. While not always accurate, he was getting plenty of penetration on his kicks and he would have likely had the most metres gained from his side. Western showed he had a few tricks with a scissor kick over his head in the last quarter – although not exactly effective, it did show his athleticism. Western finished the game with 25 disposals and the Fremantle NGA prospect will now look towards the All-Star games taking place in the next few weeks to continue to show to recruiters his special talent.

WA U18 All Stars 11th of October

THE 2020 Western Australia Under 18 All-Stars went head-to-head on Saturday, with a bunch of budding AFL Draft prospects boosting their stocks in Game One. Fremantle Next Generation Academy member Joel Western was named best afield as Team Black came up trumps by 55 points. Our scout, Ed Pascoe was on hand to jot down his notes on some of the big performers and familiar names.

#1 Joel Western

Fremantle supporters must be thrilled, but also annoyed that Western keeps impressing and improving his standing in this year’s draft, with the small and nippy midfielder doing what he does best – exploding away from stoppages with his elite speed. Western loved the supply he got in the ruck from fellow Claremont player Kalin Lane and he would always make the most of his clearances, bursting away and driving his side forward. Western would also hit the scoreboard with a nice goal on the run, followed by another from a mark and easy set shot conversion. He could have had even more goals if he were a bit more accurate on the run. His size hasn’t worried him and he plays very similarly to emerging Richmond midfielder Shai Bolton, with his clean hands and speed a real worry for opposition midfielders. He was named best on ground which was certainly deserved.

WA U18 All Stars 18th of October

THE 2020 Western Australia Under 18 All-Stars went head-to-head for a second time on Saturday, serving as the final chance for budding WA draft prospects to impress AFL recruiters. Potential top five selection Denver Grainger-Barras was ultra-impressive, leading Team Gold to a mighty turnaround from game one in his side’s 55-point victory. Claremont prospect Max Spyvee won best afield honours, while last weekend’s most valuable player, Joel Western sustained a nasty finger injury. Our scout, Ed Pascoe was on hand to jot down his notes on some of the big performers and familiar names who took the field.

I think belly may have gone and hurt his finger to stop him from drawing too much more attention, haha! Stoked that a bid came late (even if he nearly snuck into CAT B). I think we can still add a Cat B before the start of the season, so maybe C.Walker or K.Haddow get the opportunity.

This Footy Yarn video is also a laugh. Hopefully he can become our next Sonny with some extra speed (Ballas/Sonny Hybrid).

The comparison to Bolton is exciting. Quick one touch players inside 50 are so valuable.

can anyone explain as to what the benefit is to Freo to pass instead of picking him up when they were saving a list spot for him? Was it to see if he would slip through to cat B which would be cheaper for them?

can anyone explain as to what the benefit is to Freo to pass instead of picking him up when they were saving a list spot for him? Was it to see if he would slip through to cat B which would be cheaper for them?
yep believe so. not sure if we would’ve been able to pass, get to the point where everyone else was done and then pick someone else, but could have had a spare list spot for the SSP.

yep believe so. not sure if we would’ve been able to pass, get to the point where everyone else was done and then pick someone else, but could have had a spare list spot for the SSP.
Had he gone through to Cat B rookie, we would have had an extra list spot for the pre season to invite a player to train, with a view to rookie listing them, OR we could have made another selection at the end of the ND or in the rookie draft.
It would have been worse For Joel himself though. He gets a 2 year contract as a ND selection, would have only been one year as a Cat B rookie. So the Dogs did Joel a personal favour by bidding but slightly disadvantaged Freo. Not a big deal though.

Just wanted to say I am pretty sure (injury permitting) that Joel is going to be a jet and the best of the the 5. I like that he knows he is good.

He'll be an AA.
I'm expecting he will be talked about in the bargain draftee articles from 2025 onwards as a massive bargain, he has more weapons than Michael Walters.

So I'll jump on that early now so I can be as smug as I am about Luke Ryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back