Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
well Gott in Himmel lawks-a-mercy Que??? I LIKE IT
Had to look that one up - sorry SiempreFreo, I'm sure it's not ONLY the elderly ;)

1616637492560.png

I am genuinely intrigued by what made the AFL adjudicate this way. Nonetheless we'll take it, a handy surprise for sure but a truly sad indictment that we're this pleased and excited for an 18 year old Rookie lister to debut as a KPF to save our forward line.

WAFL are going to be really dirty on this. Damn Fremantle going over our heads to AFL. Bad luck to be next freo player at peel to get reported. Keep Josh away from any WAFL games.
He is still missing two WAFL games, the AFL just decided that if he had missed two AFL games then he can play AFL.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
I'm getting Sibasado vibes with this decision.

Rumours Watson, Acres and Henry are out too?

Special circumstances may be the injuries on the squad at the moment ...

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I am genuinely intrigued by what made the AFL adjudicate this way. Nonetheless we'll take it, a handy surprise for sure but a truly sad indictment that we're this pleased and excited for an 18 year old Rookie lister to debut as a KPF to save our forward line.
Its a weight of numbers approach, Noah Answerth form Brissy copped 3 games and the VFL comp that they play in doesn't start til April 17th, he would be out for a month and a half under the old ruling.

Someone from GWS has the same problem too.

AFL has realised that with the seasons not aligning nowadays that it makes no sense for old rules to fit. I'm still shocked but it is common sense.

We were definitely helped out by the VFL starting even further back and GWS and Lions facing the same problem.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its a weight of numbers approach, Noah Answerth form Brissy copped 3 games and the VFL comp that they play in doesn't start til April 17th, he would be out for a month and a half under the old ruling.

Someone from GWS has the same problem too.

AFL has realised that with the seasons not aligning nowadays that it makes no sense for old rules to fit. I'm still shocked but it is common sense.

We were definitely helped out by the VFL starting even further back and GWS and Lions facing the same problem.

Bris and GWS definitely helped Freo’s case.

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wondering whetehr maybe it's still open to the WAFC to double Treacy's WAFL suspension for playing AFL (assuming he plays). Really all that's been decided here is that the AFL won't stop Treacy playing AFL games once he's missed the number of weeks corresponding to his WAFL ban. The WAFC hasn't agreed to anything (so fas as we know).

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
The decision does favour us in the sense that it does seem now that it is at the discretion of the club as to when Treacy serves his 2 weeks of WAFL suspension.

If Treacy plays round 3 in the AFL and plays well enough to maintain his place for a block of AFL games - but then maybe he gets a niggly injury where has to miss a couple of AFL games - would that couple of weeks where he's ruled out because of injury also become the time he has to serve out his WAFL suspension? I would think so if we just don't put his name on the official injury list .

Or what if Treacy travels but is an unused emergency for an AFL game on a weekend where the Peel Thunder WAFL game is scheduled before, or the same day as the Dockers AFL game and he can't get back in time to play (not to play, but to miss out..I suppose). Would it be deemed that he has served a week of his suspension in the WAFL if he was required to travel and/or out of the state when the Peel Thunder game was played? That might raise a few questions from the WAFL officials.

Last edited:

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
The decision does favour us in the sense that it does seem now that it is at the discretion of the club as to when Treacy serves his 2 weeks of WAFL suspension.

If Treacy plays round 3 in the AFL and plays well enough to maintain his place for a block of AFL games - but then maybe he gets a niggly injury where has to miss a couple of AFL games - would that couple of weeks where he's ruled out because of injury also become the time he has to serve out his WAFL suspension? I would think so if we just don't put his name on the official injury list .

Or what if Treacy travels but is an unused emergency for an AFL game on a weekend where the Peel Thunder WAFL game is scheduled before, or the same day as the Dockers AFL game and he can't get back in time to play (not to play, but to miss out..I suppose). Would it be deemed that he has served a week of his suspension in the WAFL if he was out of the state when the Peel Thunder game was played? That might raise a few questions from the WAFL officials.
I think you are over complicating things. It is simple, he can't play the first 2 weeks of WAFL it doesn't matter for what reason he doesn't play them.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I think you are over complicating things. It is simple, he can't play the first 2 weeks of WAFL it doesn't matter for what reason he doesn't play them.

Is it the first two weeks whenever next available?

Oops now I read the article i am over complicating it.

This line explains it: He will be available for selection for Peel from round three when the Thunder take on South Fremantle at Pingelly Oval on Saturday 17 April.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle

The other state leagues (SANFL and the new VFL) also have their fixtures misaligned with the AFL. And there are a couple of players for east coast clubs that are a similar position to Treacy: serving a state league suspension for a pre-season incident that at state league level can't be completed for a month. SoI reckon the AFL are probably trying to avoid a situation where someone a lot higher profile than Treacy gets caught out.

It seems we are the only ones that petitioned the AFL for a rule change though.

Ultimately it just poor administrating that these leagues don't have a coordinated fixture.

Back