Toast Welcome to Freo Jye Amiss!!! (pick 8 2021 AFL Draft)

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was flying home from Para last night during the draft and didn't know who we had selected until I landed at 6pm. I kinda embarrassed myself when I let out a rather loud "F#$k Yeah" when I read who we had picked.

People must have thought i was stoked to have landed and i got some funny looks.

But absolutely stoked in who we picked. Looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Welcome to the Dockers!

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
Jye's mum was on the radio this morning (can't remember which station). Parents that are willing to drive insane distances to give their kids opportunities are the best kind. Love everything about this pick.
6PR. Speaking of them, Hase was upbeat last night, Langdon seemed unimpressed and didn't seem to want to talk much about the draft except to do the interviews. Difference imo from past years. Preferred to discuss cricket and the captaincy.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Beggars can’t be choosers I know but a lot of the top key defenders (moore, Harris Andrews) are around the 2 meter mark. If he could put on just 2 or 3 cms I would be happy.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting how he goes moving from the “mega metropolis” of Busso, to the quiet life at Cockburn. Anything’s better than doing the Bussell Hwy Crawl.
Are their major cultural differences between Busso bogans and Cockburn bogans?

chinggis77

Club Legend
May 14, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Fremantle
So in what ways are commentators going to make a pun out of his name?

After kicking a goal: He was never gonn Amiss that one!

After missing a sitter: What Amiss!

After hanging on a close shot that just misses: “ ....aaaaand it’s.....Amiss”

So in what ways are commentators going to make a pun out of his name?

After kicking a goal: He was never gonn Amiss that one!

After missing a sitter: What Amiss!

After hanging on a close shot that just misses: “ ....aaaaand it’s.....Amiss”
Will get tired after the first 5 minutes.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
JA

Attachments

• 9872DA19-491F-4167-AE40-0C5207410A9C.png
    9872DA19-491F-4167-AE40-0C5207410A9C.png
    711 KB · Views: 310

SupermanCapes

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Beggars can’t be choosers I know but a lot of the top key defenders (moore, Harris Andrews) are around the 2 meter mark. If he could put on just 2 or 3 cms I would be happy.

I mean, West Coast Josh Kennedy is the same height as JA - doesn't seem to have held him back over the years. If he can continue to create separation against men in the AFL then being a couple of cm shorter than his match-up shouldn't matter. That said, every chance he continues to grow a la Chappy seems to have done this year.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
I mean, West Coast Josh Kennedy is the same height as JA - doesn't seem to have held him back over the years. If he can continue to create separation against men in the AFL then being a couple of cm shorter than his match-up shouldn't matter. That said, every chance he continues to grow a la Chappy seems to have done this year.
I think he trained with Kennedy for a bit as well? I might be thinking of McDonald from last year though.

Big Flappy

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm hoping in his first 2 or 3 seasons he can produce an out put similar to Georgiades. Make the most of the 3 or 4 opportunities he gets a game.

But mostly I am hoping he can contribute to a more organised forward line. Having he and Treacy knowing where and when to position and lead will bring the best out of the likes of Lobb and Tabener.

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at his highlights again it appears he has very little downside - kicks straight, agile, a great pack mark, great attitude and an unselfish team player.

TBH I can only see one major negative - there is only one of him. An extra one would be nice for spares.

His injury ( and that of Erasmus ) was exquisitely timed. Any more exposure in the end of season state games and both he and Erasmus could quite easily have gone in the top 5.

Jan 30, 2012
Midnight Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
I'm thinking we all may look back at this particular draft as one of the most important in the clubs history. There is the potential for something special to come from this group of draftees, not to mention the players traded in. Losing Cerra is still going to hurt but hopefully these new players blend in well with our young brigade of players.

Hopefully Jye is going to terrorise opposition defences for many seasons to come.

Hammersoup

Senior List
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at his highlights again it appears he has very little downside - kicks straight, agile, a great pack mark, great attitude and an unselfish team player.

TBH I can only see one major negative - there is only one of him. An extra one would be nice for spares.

His injury ( and that of Erasmus ) was exquisitely timed. Any more exposure in the end of season state games and both he and Erasmus could quite easily have gone in the top 5.
What about the concerns about his kicking distance? In the end you want his leading patterns to create the most opportunities but zoning defense closer to goal to limit these opportunities makes that tricky. He will need to be v good at separation or contested marking.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
What about the concerns about his kicking distance? In the end you want his leading patterns to create the most opportunities but zoning defense closer to goal to limit these opportunities makes that tricky. He will need to be v good at separation or contested marking.
I raised concern at his kicking distance based on one video and I’m not sure whether I started a chain reaction..
The description of Amiss I have read lists separation and leading patterns as his biggest assets so height won’t be an issue. I’m just worried some of the less intelligent forwards might get in his way to be honest.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

Have you even watched the highlights provided by Freo? There is one goal he kicks of a couple of steps from a loose ball get from 48m, which clears the line. Another one where he takes a mark on 50, and boots it easily straight through the middle from 55m. Looked like it was dead calm. I think the concerns were overblown.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

The concerns were on BF from 1 incident, i.e. There are no concerns.

There is some development path where in the next 5 years all of Treacy, Amiss and Sturt have come on and we have this hyper mobile and high IQ forwardline that is both incredible to watch and wreaks havoc each week. Ploz make it happen Freo

Last edited:

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is some development path where in the next 5 years all of Treacy, Amiss and Sturt have come on and we have this hyper mobile and high IQ forwardline that is both incredible to watch and wreaks havoc each week. Ploz make it happen Freo
All run both ways and are better than average at ground level for their height.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
this will be freo fans watching the game in 5 years time.

Back