Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

What about The West comments section re anything Indigenous. Unfiltered, unmoderated disgusting racial abuse on a daily basis. It defies belief.
I was just speaking to someone about this yesterday. It really is a hive for the lowest common denominator in society. It's astounding how The Worst just let those comments go with no accountability

If it was Eddie Betts the AFL would comment and rightly so but arguably more important to support a young Sudanese player.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe the young man did not want to draw attention on himself.
It's his first year.
If the club & afl have not spoken to him & offered their support then we have a problem Houston.

It's his first year.
If the club & afl have not spoken to him & offered their support then we have a problem Houston.
I reckon whoever did it is currently biting their fingers off paranoid the police are going to come knocking after they tracked down the moron who threatened Grimes.

I reckon whoever did it is currently biting their fingers off paranoid the police are going to come knocking after they tracked down the moron who threatened Grimes.
Different situation I think. Grimes received specific threats of death to him and rape of his wife, and reported them to police. The Frederick thing is disgusting but a) not in the same league and b) I doubt Frederick would get the police to listen even if he reported it.

It's his first year.
Doubt it he was the one who shared it on his instagram can't imagine he'd do that if he felt like that.

hopefully, but before Facebook bought Instagram and up until more recently when they changed their new account verification policy, you could set up an Insta account with a fake email address (or someone else's email account) as you weren't required to verify it from that email account (used to frustrate the cops in the cyberdivision no end as a key source of kid on kid cyberbullying). There are a lot of untracable accounts still around I would expect. Unfortunately, but quite possibly the cops won't be able to catch up with this grub.

hopefully, but before Facebook bought Instagram and up until more recently when they changed their new account verification policy, you could set up an Insta account with a fake email address (or someone else's email account) as you weren't required to verify it from that email account (used to frustrate the cops in the cyberdivision no end as a key source of kid on kid cyberbullying). There are a lot of untracable accounts still around I would expect. Unfortunately, but quite possibly the cops won't be able to catch up with this grub.
They probably can if the social media companies release the IPs being used by those accounts and then the respective ISP provides the user details for that IP. It's all about the effort they are willing to go to. Most of these racist idiots aren't the sharpest tools so it is unlikely they are using VPNs etc.

My comment was about the paranoia thinking it might catch up with them - not so much on whether the cops would do anything about it. Personally I think they need to set an example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They probably can if the social media companies release the IPs being used by those accounts and then the respective ISP provides the user details for that IP. It's all about the effort they are willing to go to. Most of these racist idiots aren't the sharpest tools so it is unlikely they are using VPNs etc.

My comment was about the paranoia thinking it might catch up with them - not so much on whether the cops would do anything about it. Personally I think they need to set an example.
yep, wasn't arguing against your point. Agree. Just adding an 'interesting' point (depending on people's interest levels) to the conversation. But from the cyber cops mouth, there wasn't anything they could do about it before verification changed.

Did Frederick publicly post his response, or repost what was said? I don't use Instagram so don't know how it works. If he reposted it or publicly responded I think that shows he wants such scum to be exposed.

If someone gets this sort of abuse the victim really has two options:

1) Report it (to the social media company), ignore it and never mention it to anyone. Depending on your personality it could be water off a ducks back (NOT saying that makes it OK), or it (more likely) would really hurt and you suffer in silence.
2) Make it public, get the support of the team, supporters, the public and the AFL, perhaps an investigation.

I'd choose 2) but it's really up to the individual. I wouldn't won't anyone to suffer in silence because they get the impression that can't make it public.

Did Frederick publicly post his response, or repost what was said? I don't use Instagram so don't know how it works. If he reposted it or publicly responded I think that shows he wants such scum to be exposed.

If someone gets this sort of abuse the victim really has two options:

1) Report it (to the social media company), ignore it and never mention it to anyone. Depending on your personality it could be water off a ducks back (NOT saying that makes it OK), or it (more likely) would really hurt and you suffer in silence.
2) Make it public, get the support of the team, supporters, the public and the AFL, perhaps an investigation.

I'd choose 2) but it's really up to the individual. I wouldn't won't anyone to suffer in silence because they get the impression that can't make it public.
He posted a screenshot of the message sent to him to his 24 hour story so everyone could see what was said.

Then his team mates all posted it too in support of him.

He posted a screenshot of the message sent to him to his 24 hour story so everyone could see what was said.

Then his team mates all posted it too in support of him.

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree he should make it public. Some say they shouldn't do this as it gives the racist airtime. I can see where they are coming from, but I think it should be called out. Otherwise to me it seems more like "out of sight, out of mind". Again, I think whatever approach is taken is up to the individual.

Wonder how they managed to find the Grimes troll so quickly and if the same can be done for Michael if he reports it to the police (if he hasn’t already).

Although I have my doubts WA police would give a fu**.

It's easy to hide who you are if you know what you are doing. Most of these people are obviously stupid and are easily traced.

Unless it is some sort of consistent abuse I doubt police would ever get involved. It seems more the clubs and AFL take notice and cancel memberships etc.

Anyway, enough of the sad stuff. Let us celebrate Michael Frederick debuting at Freo and the ultra successful career he will have with us!!!

It's easy to hide who you are if you know what you are doing. Most of these people are obviously stupid and are easily traced.

Unless it is some sort of consistent abuse I doubt police would ever get involved. It seems more the clubs and AFL take notice and cancel memberships etc.

Anyway, enough of the sad stuff. Let us celebrate Michael Frederick debuting at Freo and the ultra successful career he will have with us!!!
It's difficult to track these trolls down but it's much easier to get down to Optus on the weekend and give him an almighty cheer. Maybe get some sort of "Freddy" chant going. He might even appreciate that even more

It's difficult to track these trolls down but it's much easier to get down to Optus on the weekend and give him an almighty cheer. Maybe get some sort of "Freddy" chant going. He might even appreciate that even more
I'm not sure how much more the crowd can get behind him than they already have been. There is an energy like no other at Optus when he goes anywhere near the ball. It was that first AFL goal he kicked - lifted the roof off the stadium - well it would have if it had one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back