Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
They call it a highlight reel for a reason... someone with some reason will surely bring some counter balance to this thread

However,

All the best to him, welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure. But holy crap that kids got some evasiveness. His highlight reel is the same play over and over again. Makes the first guys miss. Spins around and either turns on the jets, kicks to the leading man in space, or slots a goal. Hope he is a younger more elusive BHill in 2-3 years

I’m sure he’s not this all the time but for a pick in the 60s I couldn’t be happier.

I know everyone is a winner on draft night (no club says “yeah we pretty much stuffed it up) but hot damn i am stoked about every one of our picks. Well done Belly and Co.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love a pick like this at 61. Has some tools to work with.

Moves like an AFL player.

Love the passage where he wins it at half back, busts his backside off, receives handball just forward of the wing and still has the agility to side step his opponent.

Clearly must have his deficiencies but the highlight package showed lots of class.

Feb 18, 2014
Victorian Cheer Squad
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient, Peel, Glory, MU, TCU
There’s a lot of good work ethic in that package.

hits the passes then takes off and looks to be involved in the next passage

He understands the game well. Does all the right things, gets his arms up in anticipation of tackles, reads the flight well. I can't see a whole lot that needs to be drilled into or coached out of him. Off six minutes of vision, mind...

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Those highlights...wowee

giphy.gif

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Checkout Freo's highlights package - at 61 the kid was a friggin' STEAL!!! Six and a half minutes of magic...

How the hell can this kid kick that good at speed???

Ummmm... that play on the boundary line at 5:20 where he turns his opponent inside out.

Come on!?!?!

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
That pace and those instinctive evasive moves look to me like they will work at AFL level. BHill clone with a bit more appetite for the contest (although obviously unproven at this point).

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Now Chris please give us a reality check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody wants to hear about a players weaknesses.

Realistically, he was one of the last picks taken and the odds are against him. Basically all of SA's best prospects played either in reserves or league level at SANFL - the only other player drafted who played primarily U18s was Josh Morris, and he was a teammate of Frederick. So really, he played against nobody of draft quality. Who knows how he'll handle the significant step up in quality and physicality.

But it's all about his highlights. And if he had his growth spurt last year, maybe he wouldn't have been available to us last night.

summerthebat

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2007
Teenage Mountain
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a lot of reasons to temper our expectations, but my god, if he can run, evade and kick like that then he's absolutely worth a speculative pick.

On one hand, I remember watching Crowden's highlight's package and was certain he'd be a great player, but that was without considering the importance of decision making under pressure and general 'game intelligence'.... yet, Frederick's package is at least 10x better than Giro's and he's had multiple AFL games.

I'm super excited though

Back