Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not convinced but happy to be proven wrong.

Clearly a project player but has potential to be more athletically gifted than most. As an 'introduced' player to our game it will be about whether he can master the AFL game sense.

Midfield prospect Michael Frederick has signed a contract extension with Fremantle that will see him at the club until at least the end of the 2023 season.

Frederick joins fellow draftees from the 2019 NAB AFL National Draft Caleb Serong, Hayden Young and Liam Henry to extend their original contracts for a further two seasons.

Freddy can do some brilliant things and can also struggle to influence the game at other times as you would expect from most players moving into the AFL system on their first year.

If he continues to develop he could become a very handy player with a touch of the extraordinary to turn a match.

Long way to go but that goal he kicked when he picked the ball up at full tilt in front of oncoming traffic and put it through for his first goal (I think it was his first AFL goal from memory) was fantastic. Looking forward to seeing what he can produce in his next few years.

Made the point already this year, but even with a few quiet games he would have learned a massive amount this year. Already doing a lot right, but just needs to improve on the confidence and execution.

Will be a big beneficiary of being able to play regular games for Peel again next year if/when he's out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JLo and the staff clearly see a lot in this boy's potential.

Happy that the club has backed him in.

Not having access to the WAFL this season, has made it hard to judge the youngsters progress.

He & Henry will progress rapidly next season with access to the WAFL. Get in top form, then move back to the seniors.

Some pretty harsh critics here.A first year player, whose body is obviously not yet ready for the rigors of of AFL.
Hardly a pre season(as per all), learning a game plan probably for the first time.No real full training..
He has a lot to learn, but to expect him and Henry to tear the game apart has been very unrealistic.Both Henry and Frederick are long term project players.
They need time in the WAFL to get used to the hard body contact.To learn where to go, both basically have that , but must learn to let the game come to them,Not go chasing it.
Have faith in them and the selectors.

A contract to end of 2023 is a long extension for a project player, of all the re-signings this seems the only one that might be a reach, but I'm glad for the guy and the potential is clear to see.

A contract to end of 2023 is a long extension for a project player, of all the re-signings this seems the only one that might be a reach, but I'm glad for the guy and the potential is clear to see.
I think with the tools he has all you really need to see from him is a good attitude and some improvement. We fans can see that latter and JL has talked him up at least twice I can remember about the former.

I can’t see why anyone would question this extension. Even this year with limited experience, he ended up being best 22. He has afl qualities that are very rare - the combination of pace, athleticism and endurance. Can kick the footy also.

Even if he improves 10% year on year, he will be a very handy AFL player. Any more and he could be anything. No improvement and he is good depth and someone that can still apply excellent pressure in the forward line.

Good signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s obviously apart of the next generation at Freo. The potential is huge with this man. Imagine 5 kg of muscle and using his speed on the wing. Sure he was quiet some games, but he’s a smart player in knowing where to position and get involved.
Henry and him having a big pre season will make an exciting 2021 and beyond.

If it's a project player then shouldn't it only be a long extension? It wouldn't make sense to call them a project player but then only give them one year. I thought the point is that they would take a while to develop.

If it's a project player then shouldn't it only be a long extension? It wouldn't make sense to call them a project player but then only give them one year. I thought the point is that they would take a while to develop.
Freddy might be a project to get to the finished article but he played like 8 games this year. Already contributing, just in a different role to his eventual one.

Freddy might be a project to get to the finished article but he played like 8 games this year. Already contributing, just in a different role to his eventual one.
He may play less next season, especially if WAFL is on. At the moment he is getting games for development depending on the mix of available players and positions, but showed enough to keep getting opportunities.

im not sure why people talk about Freddy as if he's an athlete who came to footy late, thr Frederick brothers were port adelaide mad auskickers back in 2006... when they were 6!

here they are in the under 16s...

Screenshot_20201008-140958_Chrome.jpg
40 touches and four goals in his last two games before the draft, including BOG in the SANFL 18s Grandfinal after a 10cm growth spurt imho its clear he's a footballer whose athleticism came late!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back