Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
A lot? I mainly read a few posters questioning 1) if he was best 22 now or if he needs more development, or 2) questioning whether small forward was the best fit for him in terms of position. The usual stuff of discussion boards.
It's a bit more negative than that, also seen 'lazy' thrown at him a bit.

He's been ordinary but it's just way, way too early.

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy and Fyfe go ok but I get what you mean. Incredibly composed. Freddy seems to have rid himself of the fumbles he suffered from last season, he is moving in good patterns and looked like he could play what has been a graveyard position for us over the years. Exciting times!

By far the best game he has ever played in purple, he had 7 inside 50s, some of which were misjudged kicks, but I'd back him to keep improving. Had quite a few marks too, and quite a few he almost marked, so I'd back him to improve there too. Very exciting player, would love to see him end up on the wing, maybe even this year if he has the tank. Acres was ok on the weekend but I noticed he avoided a number of contests which he could have impacted, quite frustrating to watch for a player with his build.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think a youngster who's not even got to five games yet is a fair defence. Also evidence free labels like "lazy" require a bit of scrutiny.

I think most people - me included have noted it is early and he needs time to develop.
I also noted that Freddy is ahead of him, although has played a handful more games. I also said if draft order was not a consideration I think Freddy would be ahead in people’s estimation.

I noted that Henry has obviously worked hard in the off season and was leading running according to JLo. As such I said he looked lazy or was lacking application against the fees. You say there was no evidence I say there is. Mark Duffield said he needs to ‘stop playing like it’s under 18’s’. What do you take that to mean? I interpret that as saying he needs to work harder on the discipline stuff because he won’t get away with it in the seniors. It may not mean that at all.

None of that is terrible or means that I don’t want him to succeed. I think he needs more time as said above. What’s more if he can apply himself in game like he has done off season I am hoping we have one hell of a player. I also think as mentioned above that right now Freddy has shown a lot more. There is nothing to be offended about or read into or to be inferred other than what I have written.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think most people - me included have noted it is early and he needs time to develop.
I also noted that Freddy is ahead of him, although has played a handful more games. I also said if draft order was not a consideration I think Freddy would be ahead in people’s estimation.

I noted that Henry has obviously worked hard in the off season and was leading running according to JLo. As such I said he looked lazy or was lacking application against the fees. You say there was no evidence I say there is. Mark Duffield said he needs to ‘stop playing like it’s under 18’s’. What do you take that to mean? I interpret that as saying he needs to work harder on the discipline stuff because he won’t get away with it in the seniors. It may not mean that at all.

None of that is terrible or means that I don’t want him to succeed. I think he needs more time as said above. What’s more if he can apply himself in game like he has done off season I am hoping we have one hell of a player. I also think as mentioned above that right now Freddy has shown a lot more. There is nothing to be offended about or read into or to be inferred other than what I have written.
I watched the Rd 1 game carefully. I saw zero evidence of any lack of application. Saw him constantly on the move particularly in the 3rd though. Who knows what Duffield is banging on about, shoot from the hip catchphrases maybe. It's anybody's guess :think: where anybody's getting the lazy label from.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched the Rd 1 game carefully. I saw zero evidence of any lack of application. Saw him constantly on the move particularly in the 3rd though. Who knows what Duffield is banging on about, shoot from the hip catchphrases maybe. It's anybody's guess :think: where anybody's getting the lazy label from.
I also watched it carefully and we have a different opinion around his application.
Both of us want him to succeed. No one is labelling him as lazy or lacking in application. I simply think he was both of those things (synonyms) against Melbourne.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Frederick being a mature age recruit has likely helped him a lot.

Possibly - what is it 12 months age gap?

I’m sure that helps physically. Either way it looks like we have a player in Freddy. He has the tools to be at minimum a B+ grade contributor. And if he can start nailing goals from fifty we are in for great times!

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I also watched it carefully and we have a different opinion around his application.
Both of us want him to succeed. No one is labelling him as lazy or lacking in application. I simply think he was both of those things (synonyms) against Melbourne.
Any specific and observable evidence of his non-application against Melbourne?

(oh and people are/were definitely labelling him lazy)

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

I’m sure that helps physically. Either way it looks like we have a player in Freddy. He has the tools to be at minimum a B+ grade contributor. And if he can start nailing goals from fifty we are in for great times!
Well if you think about it 12 months is the difference of being recruited and not being recruited in Fredericks case could be similar for someone of roughly the same build.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Frederick being a mature age recruit has likely helped him a lot.

Yeah the earlier you are in a career the greater potential advantage from a years added experience and/or physical development.

You could also add the extra games and continuity from last year (particularly without the WAFL backup).

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well if you think about it 12 months is the difference of being recruited and not being recruited in Fredericks case could be similar for someone of roughly the same build.

Which is why I said 'I am sure it helps physically'. So yes we agree on that. And I still think we have a beauty in Freddy.

Shaymuhz

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
1060 West Addison
AFL Club
Fremantle

Went to the game and can confirm he did not look lazy live either

yakamoto

Club Legend
May 8, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Phast Phreddy now underrated by fewer supporters - and critics. Causes opposition defenders to s**t themseves.
His relentless running at speed forces the opposition defence to spread, making it much more difficult for them to coalesce around other forwards.
Could easily have picked up a couple of easy goals on Sunday if team mates had a bit more vision.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ethan Hughes said that Freddy is the fastest at the club. No mention of Joel.

Was genuinely surprised. I mean, I thought Freddy would be no 2 but Joel looks ridiculous in his highlights.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ethan Hughes said that Freddy is the fastest at the club. No mention of Joel.

Was genuinely surprised. I mean, I thought Freddy would be no 2 but Joel looks ridiculous in his highlights.
Depends how you define speed I guess. I watched Joel at Peel a couple of weeks ago and when he puts the jets on he is unbelievable - I reckon he would leave Freddy in his wake.

1617182714987.png

1617182762770.png

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Depends how you define speed I guess. I watched Joel at Peel a couple of weeks ago and when he puts the jets on he is unbelievable - I reckon he would leave Freddy in his wake.

View attachment 1090653

View attachment 1090655
Yeah it was asked specifically 0-20m which is why I thought Joel was a walk up. I wouldn't be surprised if Freddy's top speed was faster but Joel just looks and tests (as above) amazing over that range.

Back