Welcome to Freo Travis Colyer

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he or his family don't read this thread. Bit embarrassing really before he's even played a game in purple.
Yeah, it always makes me cringe a bit. Anyway, welcome Travis, your pace will definitely come in handy and hopefully you can help the young guys learn what is required to be professional. It is good to have healthy competition in all positions, gets the best out of everyone.

He has pace, a strong body and looks at home inside the forward 50. Seems to be a good character and we gave up very little to get him. Given Belly and the Silver Fox have made out like bandits, I'll trust their judgement on this one.
Not the strongest of bodies. Has wiry strength but can get outbodied by larger players (of which there are many). Great character and very hard worker.

Reckon he could be a good pressure forward. He can tackle well and has the work ethic to get to contests. You don't want him getting heaps of the ball because he doesn't use it well but he does have good hands over head.

This.
Balla’s decline needs to be addressed and rectified, this is an instant hard bodied replacement.
He, Switta and Matera will be fighting for that fwd pocket pressure role

Really, really don't rate the bloke but I suppose we did get him for nothing. Will be very disappointed if he plays a single game next year over any of the younger small forwards we should be developing.

Edit: Although reading up on his stats his best return for a season is 12 goals. Where is he even supposed to play?

we are just going to have a team of forwards :)

Don't really think it is fair that Colyer gets 3 years and Grey (who I think offers us much more) gets given the boot. Oh well. Hopefully he magically learns how to kick.

Yeah, it always makes me cringe a bit. Anyway, welcome Travis, your pace will definitely come in handy and hopefully you can help the young guys learn what is required to be professional. It is good to have healthy competition in all positions, gets the best out of everyone.

What makes me cringe is people posting messages to players on Bigfooty thinking that they’ll actually read it.

He's worth having for a year or two. Three years seems excessive, not that freo wouldnt want him for 3, but as a club you'd want that flexibility.

He's quick. Real quick. But needs to work on his kicking disposal. Whether it be hitting a leading player or shooting at goal. If he brings the form he displayed in 2018 you will be frustrated with his ability to find the ball and butcher it. If he improves his disposal, freo may well have picked up one of 2019s great bargain basements.

This situation wouldnt be unheard of given essendons past offloads. Similarly Melksham and bachar houli struggled to settle in our squad. Wasnt until they were released were they able to showcase their full potential and flourish.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, you’re overrating Colyer by thinking he is.
He's average but like it or not he's still better than a lot of our players on the list that are s**t, that's the main reason why we finished near the bottom of the ladder.

Last edited:
Don't really think it is fair that Colyer gets 3 years and Grey (who I think offers us much more) gets given the boot. Oh well. Hopefully he magically learns how to kick.
I love Grey, he's tough as guts but he simply isn't very good at AFL level.

He's average but like it or not he's still better than a lot of our players on the list that are s**t, that's the main reason why we finished near the bottom of the ladder.
I think people have missed how s**t we've been for the past three years. Colyer may be no better than some of the duds we've been forced to play, but he's different enough that maybe there's something to him.

I'm a fan of rotating out your fringe players in favour of fringe players from other clubs (or better yet, promising young blokes). Players like Sheridan and Sutcliffe should have been cut three years ago, in favour of players the quality of Colyer - who are arguably no better. I think it keeps the list fresh even if it doesn't improve the overall quality.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back