Welcome to Freo Travis Colyer

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's a speed upgrade on Sheridan imo. Or a slight downgrade on Langdon... not as good on the wing as Ed but better inside 50. We need more speed i50 so he ticks the box - solid depth at worst.

Wilson/Ryan/SHill runs and kicks to BHill/Langdon on the wing, runs and kicks i50 out in front to Colyer/IHill breaking back towards goal - that's some serious end to end speed potential.

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't really get why people think he'll be good inside 50? His best position imo has probably been the wing, hasn't ever been an effective small forward. Might be some use for his pace as a very high half forward where he can use his pace and then just bomb it forward.

Appreciate the Essendon supporters coming on here and pumping him up but been reading through his thread on their board and it's pretty dismal reading.

Freo88

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2011
Up North
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Stars & Fulham-the other FFC
He will be starting 22, don't worry about that. Clubs don't bring in these sort of players to sit in the 2's.

As already mentioned he played Colts for Claremont with Fyfe back in 2009. Perhaps they are mates/get along well which may have had a bearing in getting him in.

elsleevador

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’ve been watching Travis for a while now and always liked what he exhibits.
I think he will have a lot of fun with Our new key forwards as he has great positioning for front and centre crumbs.

With a tall forward line, it’s small quick blokes like Swita, Colyer and Ballas that will prove to be massively important.

I have sources at Essendon that say Travis has an amazing work ethic and is well liked by all. People who are bringing up the drugs scandal are twits. I would love to see you put in the position the young Essendon players were put in and see if your view changes slightly. I also wonder if you were put through that crap whether some of you would make it out the other end as a driven, successful and well liked young man.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Quick, very skilful on right and left side. Occasionally turns it over. Confidence player. When he's up and going, is a jet. In a big patch of 2015 (i think) was almost our best player. If you get a pre season into him and he stays fit, he will be a very damaging player for you. Sad to see him go. Just never got a long run at it, due to injuries etc.

Congrats, Trav is a good bloke that is quick and at times dangerous with his speed, only knock on him is his habit of not composing himself before kicking the ball which can be frustrating because he often burns his chasers off very easily.
That is hardly his only knock.

Still would've rather we kept him.

Jul 4, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Sorry for the intrustion, but I'll also add to the chorus of comments.

I've always liked Trav - mostly because he got Timmy's old number (32) - and have watched him closely.

Positives:
  • He is very quick
  • He is a smart footballer and (in my opinion) has good goal instincts
  • He is a good clubman (by all accounts)
  • For his size, he hits the contest hard and doesn't avoid physical contact. When it is his turn to go, he goes
Negatives:
  • He can be prone to fumbling the ball on pick-up
  • He can sometimes dispose too hastily
As others have said, he really does appear to be a confidence player. If he is having a good game/streak of games then he will have an absolute purple patch of form, (pardon the pun). But if things are tough and he is having a rough trot, his output tends to reflect that.

My opinion is that with our midfield and small-forward depth at the moment, Trav would have been lower in the selection order, but he definitely has the tools and is damaging enough to have warranted selection throughout the year (just not automatic B22).

I know that Ross has his detractors, (probably even on this board), but I think (and hope) that he can really get the best out of Trav.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry for the intrustion, but I'll also add to the chorus of comments.

I've always liked Trav - mostly because he got Timmy's old number (32) - and have watched him closely.

Positives:
  • He is very quick
  • He is a smart footballer and (in my opinion) has good goal instincts
  • He is a good clubman (by all accounts)
  • For his size, he hits the contest hard and doesn't avoid physical contact. When it is his turn to go, he goes
Negatives:
  • He can be prone to fumbling the ball on pick-up
  • He can sometimes dispose too hastily
As others have said, he really does appear to be a confidence player. If he is having a good game/streak of games then he will have an absolute purple patch of form, (pardon the pun). But if things are tough and he is having a rough trot, his output tends to reflect that.

My opinion is that with our midfield and small-forward depth at the moment, Trav would have been lower in the selection order, but he definitely has the tools and is damaging enough to have warranted selection throughout the year (just not automatic B22).

I know that Ross has his detractors, (probably even on this board), but I think (and hope) that he can really get the best out of Trav.
Thanks for the post.

Is he more of a forward than midfielder or can be a combination?

Could he be used as a defensive forward?

Jul 4, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Thanks for the post.

Is he more of a forward than midfielder or can be a combination?

Could he be used as a defensive forward?

Honestly, I think he could play either an attacking or defensive small forward - but I haven't seen him played in either position too much. Maybe our coaching staff has just considered it a waste of speed, but we're also fairly stacked down there.

From my read though, wherever has been played, he picks up the role that is asked of him.

Even though his disposal can be patchy, (he reminds me of Luis Mendoza from Mighty Ducks 2 - just moving too quick to stop), I like him as an attacking winger. He has really nice run and carry and can just pump it into the I50.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly, I think he could play either an attacking or defensive small forward - but I haven't seen him played in either position too much. Maybe our coaching staff has just considered it a waste of speed, but we're also fairly stacked down there.

From my read though, wherever has been played, he picks up the role that is asked of him.

Even though his disposal can be patchy, (he reminds me of Luis Mendoza from Mighty Ducks 2 - just moving too quick to stop), I like him as an attacking winger. He has really nice run and carry and can just pump it into the I50.
Lol Mendoza...who’s our Adam Banks?haha

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Thanks again.

Just idea for the Docker love ones.

Neale gone
Langdon inside
Colyer outside

Adds speed to our midfield.

Back