Delisted 21. Osca Riccardi (2022 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong has preselected Osca Riccardi for the Rookie draft of 2022.

He was not taken in the NAB AFL draft and thus has been added to our list.

And yes, Osca is the son of Cats great Peter Riccardi

GO Catters

I found this interesting to read just now - so we were only committed to him if he made it through to the rookie draft;

Geelong nominated Osca Riccardi, the son of former star Peter, as a father-son rookie selection, meaning they could not match any bid for him if it came in the national draft at any stage but if he slipped through would then be available to automatically join the Cats as a father-son rookie, which became official on Wednesday.

I found this interesting to read just now - so we were only committed to him if he made it through to the rookie draft;

Geelong nominated Osca Riccardi, the son of former star Peter, as a father-son rookie selection, meaning they could not match any bid for him if it came in the national draft at any stage but if he slipped through would then be available to automatically join the Cats as a father-son rookie, which became official on Wednesday.

Such a shallow draft that I think they felt reasonably confident he'd get through. Given only 51 live picks were taken, it makes sense that they wouldn't commit in the open draft as he is a bit of 'wait and see' prospect :)

Last edited:
The old man is remembered so fondly by all that saw him play
Geez I'm getting on, I vaguely remember watching his old man 'debut' in a post-season exhibition match in New Zealand. The only other thing I remember about that match was that GAS did boundary umpiring duties!

Geez I'm getting on, I vaguely remember watching his old man 'debut' in a post-season exhibition match in New Zealand. The only other thing I remember about that match was that GAS did boundary umpiring duties!
I was shattered when he retired ..almost got that elusive premiership

This might just be me being delusional, but I always liked to think that there was some kind of unspoken agreement among the clubs not to f*ck each other over when it came to father/son picks.

It's a nice thought I have but maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic in this dog-eat-dog (and cat) world we live in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he'd shown enough to go again

Sad for him but he is small - like his stuff however.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back