News Welcome to Geelong - Shannon Byrnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWO-time premiership forward Shannon Byrnes has become the latest former player to return to Geelong in an off-field role.

Byrnes, who appeared in the 2007 and 2009 grand final wins during 108 games in the Hoops, will rejoin the Cats as a player development manager.

He has served in a similar role at Melbourne since retiring at the end of 2014 after two seasons as a player with the Demons.

were-putting-the-band-back-together-were-getting-back-together.gif

Byrnes did some good work at Melbourne apparently, hope he can really develop some guys not only skill-wise but also attitude -wise

Shaggy back in town..:

don’t mind it as he’s been off campus for while with different experiences.
Go Catters

Well it kinda is. This should be a good appointment though
Sort of the point of my pisstake.
That's been levelled at other inclusions without any regard for whether they are/could be a good appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem to be loading up on Player Development resources - at least that suggests development is a priority and hopefully a sign we will play more youth :thumbsu:
They might have noticed that none of our young players are coming through.

Much like with Scott and the assistants. They've seemingly opted to address the issues with young players by targeting development rather than changing those recruiting them. Could be the way to go. Helps that we have two guys who had a hand in developing the most recent premiership side.

Good appointment. As a player Shannon had to work for everything he achieved. I like the fact that he has had years away from the club working in other systems.
I have to admit he used to frustrate the hell out of me when he was a player. So somehow I have a good feeling about what he can bring in an off-field capacity!

Player Development at Melbourne was one of the keys for them in winning a Premiership, and a key reason for us not being good enough. So, think its a bit much to call Shagga's appointment a job for the boys, rather its just the development improvement we need if he can translate some of that success, particularly to the new group of young mids we will get at the draft, as well as the young players we have who looked 50/50 in terms of being a bust or not and we need to come on(eg Stephens and SDK).

Player Development at Melbourne was one of the keys for them in winning a Premiership, and a key reason for us not being good enough. So, think its a bit much to call Shagga's appointment a job for the boys, rather its just the development improvement we need if he can translate some of that success, particularly to the new group of young mids we will get at the draft, as well as the young players we have who looked 50/50 in terms of being a bust or not and we need to come on(eg Stephens and SDK).
I think it's more of an admission that the current group is on the way out, and we need these young guys to replace them. Priotizing youth development over going after a flag, which is seemingly out of reach now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back