News Welcome to Geelong - Shannon Byrnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Player Development at Melbourne was one of the keys for them in winning a Premiership, and a key reason for us not being good enough. So, think its a bit much to call Shagga's appointment a job for the boys, rather its just the development improvement we need if he can translate some of that success, particularly to the new group of young mids we will get at the draft, as well as the young players we have who looked 50/50 in terms of being a bust or not and we need to come on(eg Stephens and SDK).
If you can get coaches/managers who have worked in successful environments, then it’s an even bigger plus if they can hit the ground running at their new club because they are familiar with it and genuinely have good feelings about it. It’s just a fact.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The only good thing about this appointment is inside knowledge of Melbourne.
Game plans etc..
Yes that’s the only good thing. The only one. He could be the best person in this job in the entire league for all we know but that’s the only good thing about it.

*en hell can we at least give blokes the opportunity to fail before we pot them

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Yes that’s the only good thing. The only one. He could be the best person in this job in the entire league for all we know but that’s the only good thing about it.

fu**en hell can we at least give blokes the opportunity to fail before we pot them

Going on the history of how most of the changes to our staffing for 2022 have been 'received' on here, I wouldn't have thought so.

Far easier to just declare them all a bust now and save the measured consideration of actual outcomes for the ovine gang.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it's more of an admission that the current group is on the way out, and we need these young guys to replace them. Priotizing youth development over going after a flag, which is seemingly out of reach now.

Senior selection next year will tell us that. If young players are picked ahead of in decline veterans it’ll be confirmed.

fu**en hell can we at least give blokes the opportunity to fail before we pot them
TBH I'm less concerned about Shagga than others. He has spent 5 or 7 years doing a similar role - you dont survive that long if you are crap, especially at a premiership winning club.If anything he reminds alittle of James Rahilly

TBH I'm less concerned about Shagga than others. He has spent 5 or 7 years doing a similar role - you dont survive that long if you are crap, especially at a premiership winning club.If anything he reminds alittle of James Rahilly

Difference is Shagga has been involved in 3 premierships

Welcome back Shaz.

images (1).jpeg

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Would I be correct in assuming Shagga spent some time working under Brendan McCartney?
If true. That's tops. He's my favourite ever coach.
If they had a good relationship, then it would have obviously been a bit of baton passing (much like Wells and Mackie). If Byrnes can take what he learned from McCartney, add his own style and take to it, plus the benefit of youthful energy, its a good thing for us.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If they had a good relationship, then it would have obviously been a bit of baton passing (much like Wells and Mackie). If Byrnes can take what he learned from McCartney, add his own style and take to it, plus the benefit of youthful energy, its a good thing for us.
For sure. This could be good.

Difference is Shagga has been involved in 3 premierships
Not that much of a difference - Rahilly was involved in our last two premierships and will also give him a half for being in a VFL winning team, especially as he was BOG

Not that much of a difference - Rahilly was involved in our last two premierships and will also give him a half for being in a VFL winning team, especially as he was BOG
I didn’t realise he was at the club that long

Brewskies

Senior List
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I didn’t realise he was at the club that long
So is this just another name for an assistant coach or actually new positions as we haven't filled remaining 2 coaching roles as I assume these new positions are also part of the soft cap as I don't see us as the type of club that will go massively over the cap and have to pay the tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back