pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Giants give dumped Magpie an AFL lifeline
Marc McGowan
November 2, 2017 11:42 AM

9F249AF2-309D-4B6E-BDA4-DF1F214DDF74.jpeg

Lachlan Keeffe has joined the Giants as a delisted free agent

GREATER Western Sydney has given Collingwood discard Lachie Keeffe an AFL lifeline, signing the key defender as a delisted free agent.

AFL.com.au understands Keeffe has committed to the Giants on a one-year deal, adding to the club's tall defensive stocks behind co-captain Phil Davis, Nick Haynes and Aidan Corr.

The 27-year-old Queenslander last featured at AFL level three years ago, when he played a career-high 18 of his 40 matches and looked a major part of the Magpies' long-term plans.

But Keeffe and ex-Magpies teammate Josh Thomas received backdated two-year suspensions from WADA for testing positive to banned drug clenbuterol in the 2015 pre-season.

Check out all the retirements and delistings

Thomas managed nine AFL games in his comeback season and scored a new one-year contract, whereas Keeffe languished in the VFL, kicking 15 goals in 19 matches playing mostly as a ruck-forward.

Keeffe, who stands 204cm and weighs 101kg, told SEN in October after Collingwood delisted him that he plays his best football as a defender.

"It'd be in the backline I'd say, that'd be first and foremost," he said of where he would best serve another club.

"That's where I feel I've played my best footy and hopefully I can get a crack and show my wares next year."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-02/giants-give-dumped-magpie-an-afl-lifeline

Last edited:

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We were always going to pick up a mature big bodied ruck /tall after Downie and Mummy retired.I think we chased Goldstein but he wouldn't relocate for personal reasons and Keefe was best available. Bit surprised with this though as while he's 204 he's never really played 2nd ruck at pies.

If a key defender like Davis or Tomlinson gets injured he could prove useful though as Deboer did.Doesnt look like they have much faith in Mohr but I think Keefe has more upside.Realistically we have given up pick 89in the draft.Hopefully a good decision by the club

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd view it differently. Then we were looking for some experienced players to solidify our talented but inexperienced youngsters. Unfortunately, Bret didn't add value in that aspect. Now, we spend the bulk of our TPP on our highly rated and now-experienced youngsters, and look to pad out the final few spots with cheap, flexible options. We're not hoping Keefe becomes a new Mummy, he's just there if everyone ahead of him falls over (and realistically, just rucking in NEAFL).

But I get that you're perplexed at this pickup, as there would seem to be other, better options available.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I still think it's being misread. He's said he wants to be a defender, looks more like tall forward depth to me where we are thin.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
We have a history of taking players whose clubs have lost interest in them. Heater De Boer,Mummy and Muzungu recently and Dawson probably fits that bill.
He gets a fresh start and opportunity to progress and be part of club going places with us.
I say we give him a chance.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I have absolutely no idea why - but welcome anyway.

I suppose we could do with some experience in the NEAFL after claiming the spoon this year.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd view it differently. Then we were looking for some experienced players to solidify our talented but inexperienced youngsters. Unfortunately, Bret didn't add value in that aspect. Now, we spend the bulk of our TPP on our highly rated and now-experienced youngsters, and look to pad out the final few spots with cheap, flexible options. We're not hoping Keefe becomes a new Mummy, he's just there if everyone ahead of him falls over (and realistically, just rucking in NEAFL).

But I get that you're perplexed at this pickup, as there would seem to be other, better options available.
What option would u prefer to go with?

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not really excited by the pick up but it could be a good decision and we can look back at it this time next year
I can only think the reasoning is that he is cheap experienced cover for both ends of the ground

KPD
Davis Corr Tomlinson Haynes Buntine (he can play as a third tall imo) HH Mohr (NEAFL) Finlayson (NEAFL) Stein (NEAFL)

Ruck
Lobb Simpson Flynn Richards (If drafted he could play NEAFL ruck)

Ruck Forward
Patton Tomlinson Sproule (NEAFL)

KPF
Cameron Patton HH Sproule (NEAFL)

If I was NEAFL selector HH is in and out of the AFL depending on selection I would look to have Mohr and Stein as the 2 main KPD then Flynn can rotate around the ruck depending on Simpson and then Sproule, Finlayson and Keefe KPF with all 3 able to drop back if required
Also Imagine Keefe lining up against some of the defenders from the non afl reserves teams

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
What option would u prefer to go with?
My comment was meant to be general in nature given the muted reaction from many posters here, from which I infer we'd all have other (better) options. However, from a personal view I would have gone with Sam Collins (delisted from Freo) if they wanted a KPD plus rookied Nathan Richards as the 4th-in-line ruck. Another option would have been Aaron Mullett as a DFA general defender, hoping to get a taller defender in the draft. However, I'd agree with fridgeman's comments that GWS has grabbed him for his multi-positional flexibility to cover tall forward and back and relief ruck - mainly meant to play in NEAFL.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I look at the view, yeah its good to develop the young guys in the NEAFL with mature bodies around them but Mohr and Simpson fill the roles Keefe can play. So that leaves being a back up option for Lobb, Davis/Tommo/Corr but he hasnt played senior level for so long this is really a long shot. In 12 months we will have better idea of where Finlayson and Sproule are at so I suppose he is cheap option that can fill a gap until then perhaps.

Good Luck Lachie.

PS he's not a forwards ar#&hole.
Showed a bit down back. Should never have been played out of position.

From what I've seen of him from time to time, that's about where I plonk him too. He's an ok to passable defender but is irrelevant up forward.

I'd be guessing but I wonder if it's a case of a mature body to let the NEAFL guys run with the same structure as the seniors. It's definitely a benefit to maintain that continuity between the two.

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
From what I've seen of him from time to time, that's about where I plonk him too. He's an ok to passable defender but is irrelevant up forward.

I'd be guessing but I wonder if it's a case of a mature body to let the NEAFL guys run with the same structure as the seniors. It's definitely a benefit to maintain that continuity between the two.
he's as much of a forward as Jarrod Blair is a ruck.
Probably ruined a half decent career by trying to make him a forward....and him half ruining it himself with the drug ban.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
he's as much of a forward as Jarrod Blair is a ruck.
Probably ruined a half decent career by trying to make him a forward....and him half ruining it himself with the drug ban.
I'll say one thing for your club. If you look at Heaters history and the steroid scandal, the Pies confront and deal with player discipline issues. Clearly he was given a chance to get over it before being cut adrift. Contrast that with Stringer at the Bulldogs where they appear to have tried to avoid the problem.

As fir Keefe right now you know him better. I have faith in the Club and it's recruiting decisions and will wait and see.

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll say one thing for your club. If you look at Heaters history and the steroid scandal, the Pies confront and deal with player discipline issues. Clearly he was given a chance to get over it before being cut adrift. Contrast that with Stringer at the Bulldogs where they appear to have tried to avoid the problem.

As fir Keefe right now you know him better. I have faith in the Club and it's recruiting decisions and will wait and see.
He played as our only key defender for half a season ...13 or 14? with Reid and brown down with injuries.
He was actually quite good.
Then we started moving him around, then the drugs thing, then the out of position thing again....
Worth a shot as depth I reckon on that dozen or so games previously mentioned

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
All the best to Keefey up with the Giants, I agree with the other Pies comments here that his year at VFL level this year was wasted, but I guess we had Dunn/McLarty early on and then mixtures of Schade/McLarty/R.Pendlebury later in the season so kept him forward for balance

Hopefully he gets a crack in defence and if he returns to the top level makes the most of it

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m in no position to question list managers of AFL clubs, but wouldn’t there be a 25-26 year old footy player running around somewhere in the country who’d be more worthy of a shot on an AFL list?

I don’t mean to sound like a prick and hope Keefe gets a good crack at it, but it’s as though you have to be in the golden age of 19-20 to be considered, otherwise your ship has sailed, no matter how good you are.

Back