List Mgmt. Welcome to GWS Giants Lachlan Keefe

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies in there recent history are all over the shop in handling talls except for Grundy.White,Cloke,Mayne,Schade and Reid's injuries are a few examples.Like others have stated he showed a bit pre drugs ban.We may feel we can get more out of his ability than Pies did.

With his size and the fact he's he's quicker than Davis he would be a good matchup for Daniher,Dixon,Boyd,Tippett.Sinclair,Hawkins,,Brown,Kennedy and Cox.Yes Keefe is only a likely backup but we may want to free up Davis to play on a 2nd tall.Davis can play on slightly smaller forwards as can Corr,Tomlinson and Haynes.The other bonus is he could play small stints in the ruck.To me this is a smarter acquisition than getting a younger developing ruck when we are in the premiership window.Lobb hasn't proven he is durable enough to carry number one ruck for a year.Simpsons played what 40 games in 10 years and Flynn is still raw.Surprised others can't see why we need other big bodied type like Keefe.

Backup guy. Sure.

If we are hit by an injury crisis and we are still trying to win the Keefe helps us more than a random KPD draftee - this year.

I can see the reason the club did it.

Hasn’t played in 15, 16 or 17. Would be quite a story if he goes 3 years without a game and then makes it back to contribute at AFL level.

Hasn’t played in 15, 16 or 17. Would be quite a story if he goes 3 years without a game and then makes it back to contribute at AFL level.

Sam Reid is pissed that someone wants to beat his two year record.

Backup guy. Sure.

If we are hit by an injury crisis and we are still trying to win the Keefe helps us more than a random KPD draftee - this year.

AgreeHasn't played AFL for 3years.
Backup guy. Sure.

While I agree it will be a challenge and that he will be a depth player there are a few things to consider.

Firstly he played VFL last year after been banned for the previous two.He only played the first five games in his preferred position of defence.While understandably rusty in his first couple of games from what I've read In his 4thand 5th games he was starting to look ok.

Secondly Remember Collingwood had just recruited 2 mature defenders in Dunn and Schade who were given first dibs.With this in mind it makes sense that they trialled Keefe in attack in the reserves but really he's not a forward.We settle him in defence

Thirdly -The fact that he didn't play in 15,16 may actually mean his body is fresher for the next few years.We get a204cm athletic big bodied defender/ruck who at 28 is in his prime

Fourthly and taking a real glass half full approach it may be easier mentally for him moving to Sydney.The media spotlight that comes from being a 204cm banned footballer at Melbournes most exposed club must have been tough.It helped the Shaw brothers hopefully its the same with Keefe

Early re-signing but he has turned into a more reliable player after a few years away from the game and has improved from last year

In the right match up he can really go a great job. His best game of the year was blanketing Cox in the colingwood game. Superb job

Handy to have

He's great depth too. Can cover any tall position at least competently. I'd hate to have him in our best 22 but he's obviously willing to play in the reserves on a corresponding level wage and come up when needed. You'll know he'll provide a contest and he won't get beaten too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back