#34 Josh Fahey (Pick 42, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Welcome to the Giants!

Josh Fahey

Josh Fahey.PNG

Height: 186cm
Weight: 76kg
D.O.B: 11-11-2003

POSITION: Medium Defender

SNAPSHOT: “The leading Northern Academy prospect for 2021, Fahey’s dash out of defence and his penetrating left-foot kick are two of his biggest weapons.”

Playing across and impressing in multiple levels of competition this year, Josh Fahey has stepped up in most of the games he has been a part of in 2021. Selected in the AFL Academy for 2021, the Greater Western Sydney (GWS) Academy member won the MCC Presidents medal against Geelong VFL in April as the best player for the Under 19 side. Like in many of his performances, such honours were earned through Fahey's dare and dash off the half-back line, as well as his defensive work in a team which was blown out by over 100 points.

STRENGTHS:

+ Rebounding
+ Tackling
+ Run-and-Carry
+ Speed
+ Kick Penetration

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Kicking Consistency
- Exposure

Widely regarded as the top prospect from the Northern States this year, Fahey played games across multiple levels of competition in 2021; from representing the AFL Academy in the game against the Geelong VFL (where he won the MCC President’s medal for best on ground), to the GWS VFL side prior to COVID lockdowns, as well as Queanbeyan in the AFL Canberra League, adding dash and rebound damage off the half back line at all levels.

Fahey’s speed and courage in his rebounding from the backline forms a big part of how he plays, with his teammates often looking to get the ball to him so he can utilise those traits to move the ball forward quickly. Fahey also isn’t scared to push up the ground and intercept, quickly transitioning into attack when he does so. The ability to get a good amount of distance behind his kicks consistently plays a big part in his ability to break lines as well.

Fahey is able to get 50-60 metres behind his kicks without much issue, however, he can sometimes blaze away by foot when he is mainly aiming for distance rather than accuracy or penetration, and the result is a floater style kick. The other question mark over Fahey is his exposure at higher levels of football. With only limited VFL appearances this year and the one AFL Academy game, Fahey hasn’t necessarily been tested as much in his performances as some prospects, with the lack of championships being a big reason for this.

As a Rugby convert, Fahey has found it easy to translate his effectiveness and aggression in his tackling, being a real threat to opposition forwards when he closes them down and latches on, with not many able to get their way out of the tackle. This is aided by his defensive craft as well, with Fahey generally not giving his opponents an inch inside the defensive 50. His effort is a big factor in making him an on-field leader, which was fully evident during his AFL Academy outing.

SUMMARY:

After some conjecture over his eligibility with a move to Queensland last year, GWS will have first access to Fahey come draft time. His academy status may impact where a bid comes in and while the Queanbeyan native is arguably a top 25 talent, he may slide down the order due to the bidding system. It will likely matter little as he looks a good shout to end up in charcoal and orange, bringing some depth to the defence and potentially allowing others to roll further afield more permanently.

What National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso says:

We have tracked Josh since he was around 13 through the Academy and are delighted to finally welcome him into the club. He is a hard-running half-back who really breaks lines with his speed and his kicking ability. He has really worked hard on his game in tough circumstances in the last two years without many opportunities to play and we see enormous upside in him as he enters a full-time program.

Last edited:

Nice little story regarding Josh.

AFL national draft: Josh Fahey drafted by Greater Western Sydney Giants, kept pick 42 secret | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Josh Fahey knew about a month ago he would be a Giant – but the 15 seconds after it became official were the hardest to keep the news quiet.
Greater Western Sydney’s latest Academy graduate was part of broadcaster Fox Footy’s Zoom coverage and heard the Giants had matched the Western Bulldogs’ bid on him at No. 42. The problem was the short TV delay meant Fahey had to keep his overflowing emotions in check for a little longer to not give his special moment away. “When my name was called out, all my mates said they didn’t want me to tell them, so I had to try to hold in the emotions for 15 seconds,” he said. “I just wanted to let it all out but it was pretty good. Obviously, you saw the reaction.”

Fahey can’t wait to start training on Monday and is even daring to dream about a senior debut at Canberra’s Manuka Oval. “To come back to Canberra and play where I grew up and have the home crowd here at Manuka – it’s something I’ve always dreamt of,” he said. “Hopefully, I get that opportunity next year.”

🎉 :thumbsu:

Local paper write up for Josh ... Local star Josh Fahey drafted to the GWS Giants - Canberra Weekly

Local star Josh Fahey drafted to the GWS Giants

Denholm Samaras
November 26, 2021

Canberra-born Josh Fahey is a step closer to playing in the AFL after being selected by the GWS Giants on the second night of the AFL draft. Fahey, a Giants Academy product, was taken with pick 42 last night after GWS matched a bid from the Bulldogs. The 18-year-old is a medium defender/wingman with a scintillating left boot who likes to takes the game on with his speed. Getting picked up by the Giants is a dream come true to Fahey, who has been in the expansion club’s system since under 13s.

He met with Leon Cameron prior to the draft, who told him he was in the club’s plans; and he’s trained with the squad in Sydney a handful of times over the past two years. Not surprisingly, he “loved every second of it”. “It feels like home and there’s nowhere I’d rather be than here,” he said. Considered a top prospect from outside AFL heartland, Fahey played games across multiple levels of competition in 2021: he represented the AFL Academy against the Geelong VFL side in April, winning the MCC President’s medal for best on ground; played five games for for the Giants’ VFL side; and, of course, donned the yellow and black for his beloved Queanbeyan Tigers.

Having come through the Tigers system, he’s appreciative of everything the club has done to help him make an AFL list. “They’ve done a lot for me over my career and they’re probably the main reason I am where I am today,” he said. A high-achieving junior, Fahey is an embodiment of the leaps and bounds junior footy has taken over the past decade since the establishment of the Giants Academy. Despite this, Fahey said it is still tougher trying to make it in the AFL from Canberra versus the footy dominated states south of the Barassi-line. “You don’t get noticed as much but some people I’d say don’t get the same opportunity as others would in the bigger states, so it’s very humbling to be able to receive this opportunity,” he said. “There’s definitely some good talent coming through the Academy in Canberra and the Riverina area, so I won’t be surprised if I see a lot more draftees come out of the region.

And now that his name has been called, things will move quickly for the spritely rebounding defender. Fahey will relocate to Sydney by Sunday before reporting to Giants HQ Monday to commence a three-week training block of training before the Christmas break. He will live with fellow Giants draftees Finn Callaghan and Leek Aleer for the first three weeks before considering more permanent living arrangements once he returns in January. His goal for pre-season is to get a solid block of training under his belt working toward an AFL debut next season. “Hopefully I get that opportunity next year, it would be nice to debut here actually in front of my home crowd and family,” he said. Giants National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso said the club has tracked Fahey through his time at the Academy, and was “delighted to finally welcome him into the club”. “He is a hard-running half-back who really breaks lines with his speed and his kicking ability. He has really worked hard on his game in tough circumstances in the last two years without many opportunities to play and we see enormous upside in him as he enters a full-time program.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on your debut, Josh. Unfortunately, as the sub, but hopefully the first of many, many games in the charcoal & orange.

GIANTS Academy graduate Josh Fahey will make his AFL debut as the tactical substitute in Saturday’s match against Geelong.

The second-year Canberra product was selected at pick 42 in the 2021 AFL Draft when the GIANTS matched an Academy bid from Melbourne and missed the second half of last season after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction.

This season in the VFL Fahey is averaging more than 31 touches a game, including collecting 43 disposals in the win over Sandringham last weekend.

Fahey travelled with the team to Geelong on Friday as one of multiple emergencies and was shocked when fellow Canberran Tom Green announced to the group at Captain’s Run that Fahey will make his debut. Green said: “You’ve had to work really hard for the opportunity and I’m super excited that I’m going to get to run out with you and all the boys are too. We’ve seen the improvement in your professionalism and training standards go through the roof since you first arrived. You’ve been absolutely smashing the door down, you’ve really earned your opportunity so I think we’re all super excited to run out with you.”

Coach Adam Kingsley said it is a just reward for Fahey’s VFL form. “Josh has been knocking the door down to get an AFL game this season and a spot opened up for him this week as the tactical sub,” Kingsley said. “After an interrupted season last year, he’s continued to work on his craft across this pre-season and has been in some outstanding VFL form. As a young player he’s continuing to work on his game but we’re looking forward to seeing his run and carry and explosive left foot in action in Geelong on Saturday.”

A still surprised Fahey said: “I’m grateful for the opportunity and I didn’t come here to lose.”

I'm not sure where else to ask this, but where would I pick up a long sleeve Giants guernsey? Can't find any on the club shop website.
Sorry. I don't know that the Giants shop sells the long-sleeved jerseys. I can only presume that they have not sold well in the past. The only suggestion I have is to give the Giants Shop a phone call direct and ask them. Maybe they know a supplier on-line who might make them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back