Toast Welcome to GWS - Pick #58 2020 National Draft - Cameron Fleeton (Geelong West Giants)

Remove this Banner Ad

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Capture - Cam.PNG

The details:

Name: Cameron Fleeton
Position: Defender
Drafted from: Geelong Falcons, NAB League /Geelong West GIANTS
Height: 192cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 17/06/02

Medium/tall defender who reads the play exceptionally well and uses his intercept marking and precise left foot kicking to set up play from the back half. From St Joseph's College, he competes well, is extremely agile and had a very promising 2019 playing nine matches for the Geelong Falcons in the NAB League averaging 15.8 disposals and 3.4 marks. Has grown a further 3cm this year which increases his potential to match up on taller forwards.

Cameron had some really encouraging bottom-age games as a medium defender with an ability to limit some of the better forwards in the NAB League. He defends with desperation, able to get a fist in when out of position. He cuts angles really well and is a real competitor. - National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso

No offence to Cam, but missing out on top-ranked forwards in Cox, Reid & Chapman makes it a little hard to be overly enthusiastic about getting Cam with the penultimate pick of the draft. But obviously I hope he becomes an outstanding defender. Hopefully he has a chance to compete for the third tall role in the backline next year, and we'll see how well he can do.

Welcome to GWS - guess you have the jersey figured out already! ;)

Orange Agent

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
On paper has the tools to be a good pick. I'm probably most bullish about this guy out of all of them. If what Caruso has said about him plays out on the field he obviously has the work rate to succeed.

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
On paper has the tools to be a good pick. I'm probably most bullish about this guy out of all of them. If what Caruso has said about him plays out on the field he obviously has the work rate to succeed.
You'd expect he gets a chance early with Corr gone and the other options being Keeffe, Stein, Idun and Buntine ...

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
You'd expect he gets a chance early with Corr gone and the other options being Keeffe, Stein, Idun and Buntine ...
I think Idun will be the first cab off the rank (unless we rate Stein higher than I think), but there's definitely a spot open for Fleeton to grab if he impresses early on.

PMBangers

Cupids' Cousin
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I'm bullish, i was a lot happier selecting Cam than I was when we picked up Idun fwiw, will be interesting to see how we use him at AFL level, do we try him as a shorter Corr type or a taller Shaw?

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm bullish, i was a lot happier selecting Cam than I was when we picked up Idun fwiw, will be interesting to see how we use him at AFL level, do we try him as a shorter Corr type or a taller Shaw?
Or a Joel Patfull type?

Remove this Banner Ad