Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

outside of Brisbane (H), they haven't played a side higher than 15th
And the highest positioned team Box Hill have played is North, who were undefeated. Still early in the season but perhaps their VFL team is better performing than their AFL team and Gran just isn’t as good as you think.

And the highest positioned team Box Hill have played is North, who were undefeated. Still early in the season but perhaps their VFL team is better performing than their AFL team and Gran just isn’t as good as you think.
Further reason why i'm not putting too much stock into what Calsher is doing yet.

Gran may be a list clogger, but she's all heart

I know we're all looking desperately for a saviour, or at least a beacon of hope, but it's too early.

He won't be the saviour, but he certainly can be a great hope (and restore balance to the force) while developing at Box Hill.
life of brian GIF

Further reason why i'm not putting too much stock into what Calsher is doing yet.

Gran may be a list clogger, but she's all heart
Calsher was spoken about being lucky to get a rookie spot after missing two years (?) and has come in as an 18 (?) year old against men and shown some very good ability on the field across more than just being a KPP. Stock certainly deserves to be put into what he has done and shown so far. I don’t think he should be debuting in the seniors anytime soon but all factors considered I am all future Calsher stock, filling up on it. Steal of the draft incoming.

Calsher Dear (Four goals, 15 disposals, six hit-outs, six inside 50s, five marks)

“Calsh took another step forward in the right direction. We need to be patient with Calsher. We know improvement’s not linear, it’s going to go up and down and we’re going to have to ride the waves of momentum. His contested marking and his ability to get up the ground and spend some time in the ruck were really pleasing. As a key forward, that’s a great return. He’s continually working on his contest stuff, he’s got to be stronger in those contests and not just get shoved off the line of the ball and get outmarked, so he’s working on those areas of his game. What we’re seeing with Calsher is really pleasing.”

Calsher Dear (Four goals, 15 disposals, six hit-outs, six inside 50s, five marks)

“Calsh took another step forward in the right direction. We need to be patient with Calsher. We know improvement’s not linear, it’s going to go up and down and we’re going to have to ride the waves of momentum. His contested marking and his ability to get up the ground and spend some time in the ruck were really pleasing. As a key forward, that’s a great return. He’s continually working on his contest stuff, he’s got to be stronger in those contests and not just get shoved off the line of the ball and get outmarked, so he’s working on those areas of his game. What we’re seeing with Calsher is really pleasing.”
You have convinced me - bring him in NOW!

I wouldn't be putting much stock in his performance against North's VFL team.

My gran would have kicked 4 against them, and she doesn't have any legs
How big are her hands?

I wouldn't be putting much stock in his performance against North's VFL team.

My gran would have kicked 4 against them, and she doesn't have any legs
I think everyone is excited that he is showing qualities that will translate to the AFL considering he was a speculative pick. He has been doing this all year.

I never got excited when Emerson Jeka was kicking bags in the VFL because he was taking all his marks on the lead when our Box Hill listed players were dominating kids in the midfield. No contested marks, no second efforts, no ground ball, no pressure acts or pinch hitting in the ruck.

I’m not worried if he doesn’t play this year. If Calsher can build his tank over the next few years he will be serious player.

Last edited:
I think everyone is excited that he is showing qualities that will translate to the AFL considering he was speculative pick. He has been doing this all year.

I never got excited when Emerson Jeka was kicking bags in the VFL because he was taking all his marks on the lead when our Box Hill listed players were dominating kids in the midfield. No contested marks, no second efforts, no ground ball, no pressure acts or pinch hitting in the ruck.

I’m not worried if he doesn’t play this year. If Calsher can build his tank over the next few years he will be serious player.

Nobody thinks he's coming in to dominate a game or that he's anywhere near a complete player.
Not ever Roughy and Buddy were expected to do that and neither were "complete" even by the end of their careers.

The whole effort to make those who of us who are enthused to sound like so much more than that is a bizarre form of gatekeeping, only to make themselves feel like the adults in the room.

Yeah guys, we know.
Dear has a long way to go.

I don't think many talls have the tank coming into their first season, and Calsher did say himself during an early interview that he wasn't aware of what it took to reach the fitness level required to play AFL. His tank is going to get bigger as the year progresses too, though he's probably going to need a break at some point if he's taking a full week to recover from games.

I'd still wager we see him this year if the performances keep stacking up. Maybe it's late like you say.

But we are a bottom side. It's not likely we'll have a great number of games that allow us to pick and choose who he comes in against if he continues this form or gets better.
Still have to be careful who you play him against, I’m not a cross every defender in the league but you don’t want him being frozen out of a game due to good systems or good backmen. Would rather him get a taste against an opponent that will allow him to take marks and kick a goal or 2 to give him the confidence he belongs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During the first preseason intra club practise game I think it was Dear didn’t play was just doing repeat long runs along the boundary line. Obviously the coaches were working on his fitness. This was a few months ago now ……. at the end of the day only the coaches know whether he is ready to debut or not but he looks like a determined young man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back