Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Only less?
Yup, you're pretty douchey on this topic.
Did you care AT ALL when Tucky and Derm were running around tearing the comp a new one, or did you secretly think Tuck was a weakling and Derm uncomfortably metrosexual?:laughing:

No I didn't care about Derm because he was a superstar or before my time anyway.

But I don't care about anyone's style if they're consistent.

It's not a focus for me, I just noted it as an aside, because it reminds me too much of Schwabs pretty boys.
I think it is a distracting embellishment personally. If we wore his long sleeve jumper and had blonde locks and kicked bags of six every week I’d doubt you’d raise it. I’d be surprised if it actually had any impact on his performance

I think it is a distracting embellishment personally. If we wore his long sleeve jumper and had blonde locks and kicked bags of six every week I’d doubt you’d raise it. I’d be surprised if it actually had any impact on his performance
If he kicked 6 every week I'd get the same haircut.

Number of goals kicked is nearly irrelevant. He was on the end of a soda from Breust in the goal square. I could've kicked it.

Number of goals kicked is nearly irrelevant. He was on the end of a soda from Breust in the goal square. I could've kicked it.
there are definitely other metrics that our forwards would get marked on but I'm almost certain that 'goals kicked' is going to be one of them

there are definitely other metrics that our forwards would get marked on but I'm almost certain that 'goals kicked' is going to be one of them
Wingard's nothing special. Would he worry you if he was on the opposition side? Poor trade. Compare him to Charlie Cameron.

You would never get alone in the goal square to kick it.

Goals kicked is pretty relevant
Agreed.

Ask Hinkley whether he'd rather trade his wins in clearances, possessions & contested possessions for our 'goals kicked' & you've probs got your answer to that question!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I back Chad into get better as the season progresses, but I do find myself frustrated that he is getting in the right positions to have an impact but has had some issues fumbling the ball and dropping marks he'd usually take.

I back Chad into get better as the season progresses, but I do find myself frustrated that he is getting in the right positions to have an impact but has had some issues fumbling the ball and dropping marks he'd usually take.
The problem seems to be is that his focus is very attack weighted currently and if the ball doesn't come his way then it's hard to develop some momentum and touch in the game. Maybe he needs to adjust his focus to defence first and then let the attacking opportunities come as a result of that? Or maybe start off in the midfield for the first 5-10 minutes to get his hands on the ball before moving forward?

Chad is the icing on the cake we are still baking.

It was probably the wrong time to recruit a player like him but we misjudged where we were. I certainly am not worried about losing burton & I like duursma but he is just a solid player.

Chad when he puts it together will give us the extra 5% we need, if its next year as we make a run to September he could get us there and be influential in finals.

He looks average now but he will pay his way if the body holds up and we are playing in big games deep into the year.

Last edited:
I understand and respect everyone’s opinion, but I honestly can’t see how anyone can be happy with him and his output each and every week. A 5 min cameo each week doesn’t cut it. If he’s sore or injured he shouldn’t be playing.. it won’t happen, but I’d love Sammy and the coaching team to really set and example, if you don’t perform you don’t play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back