Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He's always been an enigma to me; I thought he was a bit arrogant and selfish before he came to Hawthorn - you can tell he's changed a lot, but I still wonder if he's liked and admired within the club. 'Aloof' might be the word?

He's always been an enigma to me; I thought he was a bit arrogant and selfish before he came to Hawthorn - you can tell he's changed a lot, but I still wonder if he's liked and admired within the club. 'Aloof' might be the word?
Still a team player though so aloofness mitigated against. Him kicking to Finn weeks back was a good example of this. Can win a game off his own boot but this is not his priority. Wants a winning and competitive team

So slick in at the centre bounces, can create and put guys into space, something we are still missing when he's not in there.

I guess Sam doesn't see this as the future. Puzzling that we'd let him get cold when he's forward rather than rolling him through every so often (and keeping him in there when it looks like he might be on).

Has a massive heart, great to see him get to 200!

So slick in at the centre bounces, can create and put guys into space, something we are still missing when he's not in there.

I guess Sam doesn't see this as the future. Puzzling that we'd let him get cold when he's forward rather than rolling him through every so often (and keeping him in there when it looks like he might be on).

Has a massive heart, great to see him get to 200!
Agree. If fit he should be a full time mid. I'd prefer him to TOM and JOM. Has the x-factor and smarts. I like a combination of Wingers, Newk and Nash at centre bounces.

Would love to see him get in for 2-3 centre bounces a quarter, but it seems we’re looking to give others the chance to build and get it done without resorting to Chad.

Has to play midfield. So good in the centre bounce.

It's a mystery. I know we want go give Newcombe, Ward, McGuiness, McDonald now and Nash plenty of time to see how they develop in there. But at the point you're getting so comprehensively smashed out of the centre that you can't possibly win the game, it's time to get him in there.

Maybe more importantly, you need an example to show the young guys what is required to match it and impact/win clearances at a high level.

It's so much easier to learn pretty much anything when you have an elite example to emulate, and learn from.

Mitchell is great for that I'm sure. But Chad offers something different (and A grade) again.

It's a mystery. I know we want go give Newcombe, Ward, McGuiness, McDonald now and Nash plenty of time to see how they develop in there. But at the point you're getting so comprehensively smashed out of the centre that you can't possibly win the game, it's time to get him in there.

Maybe more importantly, you need an example to show the young guys what is required to match it and impact/win clearances at a high level.

It's so much easier to learn pretty much anything when you have an elite example to emulate, and learn from.

Mitchell is great for that I'm sure. But Chad offers something different (and A grade) again.
I have assumed its to protect him physically as he seems vunerable to soft tissue injuries at this stage of his career. Thats why I think they just give him the occasional run rather than full time as a mid. It's only a guess though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have assumed its to protect him physically as he seems vunerable to soft tissue injuries at this stage of his career. Thats why I think they just give him the occasional run rather than full time as a mid. It's only a guess though.
They’ve definitely built him up into the season, and we were not going to put him in there until he had a block of games.

Wingard has lost all his pace, there was one moment during the game he was sprinting through the middle and looked like he was wearing weighted boots, wasn't a smooth running style, he use to glide cross the field. I think he lacks that burst speed to play forward now, needs to be midfield even if he plays 60% of a game, 12 touches 3 clearance in a quarter and half once he moved into the middle.

Wingard has lost all his pace, there was one moment during the game he was sprinting through the middle and looked like he was wearing weighted boots, wasn't a smooth running style, he use to glide cross the field. I think he lacks that burst speed to play forward now, needs to be midfield even if he plays 60% of a game, 12 touches 3 clearance in a quarter and half once he moved into the middle.
Which may be other reason he’s not in middle - lack of defensive pressure/run on transition.

So many times I've seen him put his head down and try to take off, only for nothing to happen and him have to rush his disposal. He has looked frustrated by it too.

He's very young (28) for this to have happened. Needs to go and see whoever Hodgey went too after 2012 and hopefully turn it around.

He gives us everything we have been lacking and screaming for the last 4-5 years in the middle.

Please for the love of God play him there for 70 percent of the game.
If we wanted to win above all else I think we would, but we have prioritised development of others.

Yeah but it's like how Cyril was never actually a full-time midfielder but we figured out how to get the perfect amount of minutes in the midfield for him, we aren't really trying with Wingard. It's a waste not to, it's not hindering anyones development. I think he's maybe more shot up behind the scenes than we know though, already missed a few games this season and has never played 18 games in a season for us.

Reckon the mid position allows him to
Hide his lack of pace that has gone away since the calf injuries, as much time as he can manage in the middle the better the team will be, serious competitor and role model for the kids coming through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back