Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Averaging a career low 11.6 touches this season.

He’s also averaging 1.8 goals a game which is his best return since Port 2016 and his best in his time at Hawthorn yet. Scored in every game we’ve played so far so has been a reliable source for scoring.

We all wanna see him get more of it because good s**t just happens but it’s a change of coach and game plan.

TBH we should be *ing stoked he hasn’t kicked up a stink and thrown the towel in because he came here on the back of promises from clarko and last year the new coach is shopping him around at the trade table.
The chad always improves with repeated match fitness so I’m just hoping he can find that at some point earlier this year rather than the last 4 games

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
I've posted a fair bit on Wingard last few weeks but will go again!

There is a good reason Clarkson was desperate to get him (and he was - Wingard was his preference from the get go) - his talent is elite. He is in the Rioli / Burgoyne category talent-wise. Clarkson gets magical things out of players with his level of talent. His footy before the age of 22 was as good as anyone's. He was a top 20 player in the competition. He has dropped off a bit the last couple years but his second half of 2018 in the midfield was actually very good.

He is a true matchwinner. Can win games up forward and pinch hit on the ball as a dynamic clearance player. He will in 2019 be at the same age Dustin Martin and Dangerfield were when they went next level and won Brownlows. I reckon he will explode in 2019 as one of the best players in the comp.

We have paid a big price. Burton will play 200 games and will be a very good player. But Wingard is elite.

This is Burgoyne MK2. Massive trade.
Sadly, he hasn't turned out the way we would have hoped.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Sadly, he hasn't turned out the way we would have hoped.

Not on the football field but I must say I have been extremely impressed with how he is conducting himself off the field.

Think he is going to be a great cultural pillar for our club going forward, especially in an area that we MUST get right (especially after what happened to Cyril).

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
You sure about that?
Exactly. By memory there was talk on here that GWS inquired about him but it was quickly turned down (end of story right there). Other teams know that we are in rebuild mode and I assume many of our vets would've had a call made to their managers. The club would've made this known to all players in their exit meetings that no one is untouchable but at the end of the day as much as a player might want to leave or the club wants to trade them a contract is a two way street and can be held to accord on either end. I wouldn't call this shopping your players but rather just keeping all options open.

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The last 2 years he has been in champion datas team of the year… his contribution has been immense.

Attachments

• 795C75C1-8AE1-4288-8CDB-447AA6B3F883.png
    795C75C1-8AE1-4288-8CDB-447AA6B3F883.png
    225 KB · Views: 89
  • 108FCA91-9198-4FAD-93F4-BBECFACAE785.png
    108FCA91-9198-4FAD-93F4-BBECFACAE785.png
    169 KB · Views: 91
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
He came 3rd in the PCM last year and has had an interrupted 2022.
He'll be fine if he gets some continuity.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

3rd in a PCM in a putrid team doesn't mean a great deal, but yes he was a lot better last year than this.

I think we thought we were going to to get an All Australian standard, top 50 player in the comp matchwinner when we made the trade though.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
3rd in a PCM in a putrid team doesn't mean a great deal, but yes he was a lot better last year than this.

I think we thought we were going to to get an All Australian standard, top 50 player in the comp matchwinner when we made the trade though.
Not really. He was in no such form at the time at Port.

Very impressive game vs Magpies. Nearly lifted the team over the line. Not sure he had a lot of the ball but went hard on a cold wet day. Great stuff.

Love it when he goes hard and doesn't play for frees. Tough hard form gets umpires respect.
Yep he tried to get us over the line today. Was a leader.

Back