Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think culturally Hawthorn as a club and Chad are a great fit. We have developed a very inclusive and supportive culture for indigenous players over the last 15 years and that’s something Chad is very passionate about. He’s a pretty impressive guy in my view.

As a football side, the current Hawthorn side and Chad are a terrible fit and have been for the 3 years he’s been here. From a pure footballing perspective we haven’t and probably won’t see the best from him.

I don’t think anyone knows the answer with Chad. He’s probably the most talented footballer on the list but he’s not in our top 5 on ground often enough.

If you offered Wingard back for Duursma straight swap I actually Port Adelaide would say no.
Well yeah, because they’d look pretty stupid if they said yes after telling him to look elsewhere.

The way he was willing the ball forward with everything he had in the dying stages, hacking the clearance. His defensive intent has been a standout this year.

It was only recently against North where everything he was touching in the forward half was turning into gold when the rest of the team could barely move the ball forward from clearance or transition.

I hope the club can turn it around because I've got no doubt he'll explode again when we're competitive and win matches and finals. And I can only hope his passion for First Nations issues translates to helping with a positive culture at the club of respect and belonging.

I love Chad as much as the next person, but a player like Duursma is exactly what we are looking to add right now.

Still, don’t think this trade can be judged until we play some finals football again with Chad in the team. We obviously aren’t seeing his best in a team where the ball delivery is so inconsistent.

Agree I would take Duursma over Chad every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Duursma is potentially a 10-12 year player who is EXACTLY the type of winger we needed to replace Smith. Is already a borderline A grader with the potential to go elite a la Lachie Whitfield. Chad will be lucky to play beyond the age of 30 - dodgy calves at 27 do not bode well for him long term unfortunately Ill give Burton not being a loss as we brought in Scrimshaw for peanuts but that pick 35 could have netted us a Nick Hind who was sensational against us on Sunday

I think we can all agree that despite being hyped on here as the next Fyfe / Hird a few years back, Ryan Burton is just a run of the mill half back flanker (who is always injured). He is no loss. That was a strong draft though so there is lost opportunity in the picks

Who in this list from Duursma onwards feels like a missed opportunity? There's a couple that go alright and would be handy, but none that I would stress about missing out on.

Decent player. But how would he be going in our side right now?
This is exactly it, some people act as if Duursma and whoever taken pick 35+ would have our team in a different position. I do like Duursma, but he's not changing our fortune. Wingard in full flight is exactly what we need, a speedy mid who can hit a target and kick a goal. He's a touch out of form, nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah, because they’d look pretty stupid if they said yes after telling him to look elsewhere.

If I had to pick a player for a one off game I'd still go Wingard over Duursma at the moment without hesitation.
The upside of Duursma is the obvious unknown though for which Port Adelaide might get another 10+ years out of him.

He tries his backside off, offensively and defensively. We could play him more through the middle for a better return but we are in desperate need of forward class and experience.

I have not seen or heard one thing to suggest his heart isn’t in it as some people suggest. To me it appears the exact opposite.

the bloke will win us big games and finals.

Hopefully you're right and he gets to play in finals at Hawthorn before his career is out.

I think Chad will carry the mantle for the indigenous community for Hawthorn when Burgoyne retires.
It couldn’t go to a better person to continue the strong culture already ingrained at the club.
Chad plays his heart out and shows the passion for the game win lose or draw.
He is one player that should not be considered to be traded as his values are a culture driving endorsement to what Hawthorn is about.
Chad in September is a pretty exciting prospect. We just have to get there

I actually think it will be Impey and there is every chance Chad is playing somewhere else next season. But time will tell.

The persistent calf injuries have damaged his acceleration and top speed. He also needs to take his conditioning and training to another level. He has the potential to get the zip back, but needs to assist it really strongly in the gym with relevant power work. Not the clubs strong suit.
Looks to me his effort is good.
He is struggling with his skills more too unfortunately. His kicking is off, and he has lost accuracy and penetration

Who in this list from Duursma onwards feels like a missed opportunity? There's a couple that go alright and would be handy, but none that I would stress about missing out on.
Wouldn’t mind that Jacob koschitzke. Looks the goods 👍 😉

Decent player. But how would he be going in our side right now?

He'd probably struggle, but in 3 - 4 years time when our window would be open, he'd be in his prime, as would Burton, when Chad will be at the end of his career and along way off his best.

Not Wings' fault, but the club massively mis-read how competitive we were and made some terrible list management decisions. Best to stay at the bottom for a few years, trade the 27+ year olds for picks, grab a heap of talented kids and build a foundation for our next flag tilt, as we did from 2001. We have won at least one flag every decade since 1960 - don't want the 2020s to be the decade we stop that.

The way he was willing the ball forward with everything he had in the dying stages, hacking the clearance. His defensive intent has been a standout this year.

It was only recently against North where everything he was touching in the forward half was turning into gold when the rest of the team could barely move the ball forward from clearance or transition.

I hope the club can turn it around because I've got no doubt he'll explode again when we're competitive and win matches and finals. And I can only hope his passion for First Nations issues translates to helping with a positive culture at the club of respect and belonging.
Yeah I’ve noticed that - he goes harder in the last quarter when we need go harder

When posters talk about players at their peak i am reminded of the ages of hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne,Gibson, etc during the three peat years of 2013-2015. Chad still has ample time to contribute towards another run at it and can do so when 30+.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back