Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember seeing Breust at vfl back in the day and the one thing that caught my eye about him was his sidestep. Has been enormous for us since his debut.
Second only to Cyril as the best half frwd in this decade.
It wasnt the side step but his ability to be so clean at ground level. One touch one grab player even running to pick up the ball at full pace. He was also uncanny in finding space in the forward 50

I love the evolution from "hair flicker" to "the chad".... Whoever thought this guy would be in the brown and gold?... and who knew how sweet it would be!
Cant recall being this excited for the start of a season!

Last edited:
What’s remarkable about Breust’s career is he didn’t play any games in 2009 and 2010 despite being on the list. I think he made the VFL team of the year in 2010. One has to wonder why Breust didn’t play any games at all back then.
He played the first half of 2009 in the thirds, with the current setup he might of never made it.

What’s remarkable about Breust’s career is he didn’t play any games in 2009 and 2010 despite being on the list. I think he made the VFL team of the year in 2010. One has to wonder why Breust didn’t play any games at all back then.
He weighed about 60kgs soaking wet when he came to the club.

Time to bump this again I reckon.

Saw him yesterday, and I still have to pinch myself that he’s going to be running out for us this year.

Some of the little things he did at training yesterday....make no mistake, very Rioli-esque. Sublime user of the ball, very clean and composed.

Saw him yesterday, and I still have to pinch myself that he’s going to be running out for us this year.

Some of the little things he did at training yesterday....make no mistake, very Rioli-esque. Sublime user of the ball, very clean and composed.
Still doesn't feel real. Need to wait to see him in a competitive game wearing the great Hawthorn jumper.

Elite agility and skills. Has a point to prove. Will be dangerous

And he makes it look easy, imagine if he had the eye of the tiger mentality for the rest of his career with us. Could win a brownlow such is the guy's ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the right time to drop the bombshell that Lachie Weller supports Hawthorn

And Jaegar means Hunter in German...ah goddamnit I have a feeling you know this...:p
Isn't it Lachie Whitfield, threesixpio? Haven't seen enough of Weller to know if he's really worth what GC gave to Freo for him but have heard he's good;)

Wouldn't mind Chad in the backline.
Imagine him and Sicily finding Smith & Scully on the spread on those expansive wings of the MCG & UTAS Stadium. They will absolutely murder the oppositions defensive mechanisms and give the forwards more of a chance one out.

Might be closer to the truth that we expect given Tom is out for the year.
Like 2015 & 2016 we spent the year conceding out of the centre and playing the game off half back.

Wait for the checkside.

Jeez Monfries slaughtered Gibbo that day.

Not as much as the umpiring. Get frustrated just watching Q4 - even knowing the result. Rivaled the 2001 PF Q1 effort from Goldspink.

How on earth did people come to the conclusion Hawks were favoured? From ONE non-call against Lake?

Last ten minutes alone (Hawks by 28).

Roughead tackled without the ball - obvious free (ball up).
Ebert tackled in the goal square - obvious HTB (ball up).
Very innocuous Port free - not sure how. (Port Free).

Should have been a 34pt lead.

Gray takes on the tackler, brought to ground - obvious HTB. Play actually paused, before Port player picked up loose ball and kicked to Wingard. Wingard strong mark and goal. Should have been a Hawk free, still 34pt lead.

Gibson running back with the flight, Monfries runs past the drop zone to take Gibson out. Umpire applied the "rule of the day" despite being obviously incongruous with what actually happened. Smart play by Monfries to create the free kick, but should have been Gibson's free, or perhaps just play on. Ball spilled for a behind, so lets say 33pt lead.

Very innocuous port free at HBF, Spangher in front has both arms held, yet got the Port player high? Port run length of field to Monfries mark and goal. Should never have got the ball - still 33pt lead.

Roughead tackles Port player, who drops to the ground - Roughead strong enough to hold himself up - regardless umpire pays in the back, Port go forward again. Should have been ball up, maybe HTB. Still 33 pt lead.

Hodge v ? who dives on the ball. Obvious HTB as had been paid all game (and only a few minutes prior against Langford). Considering what Ebert and Gray had escaped, maybe just bad luck.

Lake v ? in marking contest. Lake has one arm held, but almost completes the mark, then the ball is held down by Lake, the port player and a 3rd port player coming in. Siren sounds.

The ONLY reason that game was close is that umpires #8 and #9 went on a ten minute patch of completely one-sided "Catch-up" umpiring. It was Mario Kart rubber-banding at it's best/worst.

In reality it was an easy 4-5 goal win. Anyone that doesn't think umpiring influences games need look no further. They almost won it for Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back