Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree if we're 3-3 after 6 trouble territory, our run from Round 7 onwards is extremely difficult, our first 6 weeks are probably our most favourable 6 week block of the season.

And you don't think adding Scully and Wingard (along with some match hardness which they will likely not have by week 7 even if they are both in the team) will have any impact on how many games we can win after that first 6? For mine, how pessimistic I feel if we go 3-3 will depend on the fashion in which we lost the 3 rather than the win-loss count itself.

And you don't think adding Scully and Wingard (along with some match hardness which they will likely not have by week 7 even if they are both in the team) will have any impact on how many games we can win after that first 6? For mine, how pessimistic I feel if we go 3-3 will depend on the fashion in which we lost the 3 rather than the win-loss count itself.

All I'm saying is our first 6 weeks on paper is our most favourable for the year, probably only play one top 6 side in that period and that's Round 1. Yeah those players you mention will make us stronger, that's why it's a shame we aren't healthy to start the season as ideally we should have been 5-1 or 4-2 and making the most of a favourable start before lots of tough games arrive.

All I'm saying is our first 6 weeks on paper is our most favourable for the year, probably only play one top 6 side in that period and that's Round 1. Yeah those players you mention will make us stronger, that's why it's a shame we aren't healthy to start the season as ideally we should have been 5-1 or 4-2 and making the most of a favourable start before lots of tough games arrive.

If every team was uber consistent at playing near their best/potential every round, that would be true.
In effect we'll play and beat some teams that might be more talented than us because their form is down that week, and we'll lose some games we shouldn't because the converse is true.

No point or possibility in playing out the season in your head before it's begun, it will end up looking nothing like what you imagine and teams that are good early may fade late. Or the reverse. Or neither.

Better off just enjoying and dissecting our own team's progression as each game arrives, and hope the good we see is real and turns into special times.
What's undeniable when you watch is individual player progress from previous exposures if you see it, and team dynamic or playing style that is more successful than when last displayed. That's where you'll find my hat resting.

If every team was uber consistent at playing near their best/potential every round, that would be true.
In effect we'll play and beat some teams that might be more talented than us because their form is down that week, and we'll lose some games we shouldn't because the converse is true.

No point or possibility in playing out the season in your head before it's begun, it will end up looking nothing like what you imagine and teams that are good early may fade late. Or the reverse. Or neither.

Better off just enjoying and dissecting our own team's progression as each game arrives, and hope the good we see is real and turns into special times.
What's undeniable when you watch is individual player progress from previous exposures if you see it, and team dynamic or playing style that is more successful than when last displayed. That's where you'll find my hat resting.
:thumbsu:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...ive-coverage/6c2e7329e398d7e39fe5b49dd85086d7

Chad Wingard is aiming to make his Hawthorn debut in Round 2 against the Western Bulldogs, but it won’t be in a long-sleeved jumper.

The former Power star joked on Wednesday at the Kayo Sports launch that coach Alastair Clarkson frowned upon long sleeves and that the only way he would allow them was if Wingard could somehow convince retired Hawk Cyril Rioli to return.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...ive-coverage/6c2e7329e398d7e39fe5b49dd85086d7

Chad Wingard is aiming to make his Hawthorn debut in Round 2 against the Western Bulldogs, but it won’t be in a long-sleeved jumper.

The former Power star joked on Wednesday at the Kayo Sports launch that coach Alastair Clarkson frowned upon long sleeves and that the only way he would allow them was if Wingard could somehow convince retired Hawk Cyril Rioli to return.
Tucky intervention required

2-2 wouldn't be a disaster with Scully and Wingard to make us more competitive in later games. Really, we've got a good 6 weeks in terms of cushioning us against not having our best 22 available. Geelong and Adelaide look to be the only likely finals contenders of those 6 games, with the others against North, Saints, Carlton and Doggies. I reckon 3-3 with no more injuries and Wingard and Scully both back in the side by round 7 and we'd be fairly happy with the start.

I always worry about North games. They seem to bring out the worst in us for some reason. IMO. YMMV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, and I also agree 4-2 should really be the pass mark, but if we can go 3-3 without much input from Wingard and Scully, I think we've only lost one game we'd be expected to win with those two in, and that is still a platform we could launch a shot at the 8 from. From that point of view 3-3 isn't ideal, but I wouldn't rate it as a disaster either. We'll need some luck this year with a lot of players likely to get games still very raw in terms of experience, and if we have to expose more of them due to further injuries the 8 is going to slip out of reach fairly quickly. Worst case, we get a good building year to indoctrinate Wingard and Scully into the system while Mitchell heals and we get more experience into the likes of Nash, Scrimshaw, Worpel. At the very least, we should get some nice highlights out of Wingard when he gets back on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back