Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

It's official Chad Wingard to Hawthorn along with a future 4rd rounder for Ryan Burton pick 15, 35 and a future 4th rounder! It's a great day.
Wingard confirmed the news by posting this on Instagram and it was confirmed by the AFL minutes later.

Wingard will make our team look so much better and will be a target in the midfield as well as the forward line!
This looks set to cap of an extremely successful trade period for the Hawks gaining Scully, Scrimshaw and Wingard!
We are going to look HOT next year! Chad has been close with Clarkson since the 2014 IR series so that will surely be a positive!
The future is very bright!
Welcome to Hawthorn Chad! Here's to a long and successful career in the brown and gold!

Last edited:
Confirmed by the AFL here
Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 11.49.12 am.png

Paper work lodged
Burton 15, 35 and a future 4th rounder for Wingard and a future 3rd rounder.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've posted a fair bit on Wingard last few weeks but will go again!

There is a good reason Clarkson was desperate to get him (and he was - Wingard was his preference from the get go) - his talent is elite. He is in the Rioli / Burgoyne category talent-wise. Clarkson gets magical things out of players with his level of talent. His footy before the age of 22 was as good as anyone's. He was a top 20 player in the competition. He has dropped off a bit the last couple years but his second half of 2018 in the midfield was actually very good.

He is a true matchwinner. Can win games up forward and pinch hit on the ball as a dynamic clearance player. He will in 2019 be at the same age Dustin Martin and Dangerfield were when they went next level and won Brownlows. I reckon he will explode in 2019 as one of the best players in the comp.

We have paid a big price. Burton will play 200 games and will be a very good player. But Wingard is elite.

This is Burgoyne MK2. Massive trade.

Last edited:

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unfortunately, I have issues with Chad at the hawks and paying overs for a guy who would have been a FA next year.

My feelings are shattered to lose Burton, it will take a lot for me to warm for the Chad.

Many folks rate Wingard - how do I welcome a player I was hoping the hawks would avoid.

Many would know there are players you don't warm yourself to and hope things may change one day.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Pretty bloody happy. Losing Burto's a huge bummer, love the kid, he's got amazing potential, but to get a proven matchwinner in his prime, you have to give something of great value up.

Great trade period, anything more to come?

Yes. Confident cocksure lippy talented player who is capable of a the big plays in the highest pressure moments.
Will create a great dynamic with The Prince as the opposition fans heads explode trying to figure out which one they want to boo more...

Chioli

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems we've payed overs with the 2nd round pick but as usual Hawthorn are willing to pay "overs" to secure their targets.

Can't wait to see Chadwick in the brown and gold.

Yes I get what people are saying but Pick 15 is actually at best going to be pick 19 after Blakey, Thomas, Quaynor, West and possibly Will Kelly come in. Burton and pick 20 is clearly not enough. throw in 35 and get it done. Wingard is a genuine gun and we don't get access to these blokes. Great trading. Good luck to Burton, will be missed but right decision by the club

Laurie Bingham

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I fail to see why a second rounder was necessary. Will Chad make the difference between going out in straight sets this year and being genuine top 4 next year ? Hard to see. Will we win a flag whilst he (along with Tom and JOM, all being around the same age) is still at his peak ? With the deficiencies in our list exposed by this year's finals, probably not. In all likelihood, pick 35 would not plug one of our deficiencies either but with our record of grabbing talent with mid-late picks as well as the reputed depth in this year's draft, it certainly would've helped. I'm generally more philosophical about over-paying in trades but this one leaves a bad taste.

Back