Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wingard is on record stating that away from football, he doesnt watch any other games, and has little interest in the game. This is a poor attitude and reflected in his last moments at Port. Going by the weekend roasting, by club leaders, Clarko or self motivation is not enough for Wingard. This could go downhill very quickly.
Leigh Matthew never enjoyed the game either I guess he was dud as well

Roughie

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2005
Above The Clouds Where The Sounds Are Original
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Look at the flip-side, we could have drafted Steven May!!!

Have you watched him play? He is a gun defender who is AA caliber and showed up week in and out playing full back in a Gold Coast team that’s defence was constantly under siege. I might be biased because I’m from Darwin and have played against him and seen him develop as a genuine forward up here to be a top tier Afl defender but I would love him at hawthorn and I guarantee you that May returns and makes an immediate impact for Melbourne

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Chris Mew once supposedly drove home straight after we won a flag rather than going out celebrating. I doubt he watched too many other games. Noone would question him over that nor his level of effort, he was an out and out champ. Chad may have issues but i personally wouldnt hold that against him.

Chris Mew, lethal, some other peanut mentioned Dermie, Wingard is a pimple on those greats ball sacks. Just mentioning those legends in comparsion to this blow in 90% into his career, is a fair indication of the type of interlect contributing into this discussion. It matters little what i think or what you guys hope, Wingard himself will either be 1 or the other. I guess have some faith in your club and remember things dont always turn out excatly how they have planned. I certainly think it will be some kind of special person if Wingard was to succeed going forward, and if he does good luck to you all.

Does anyone take issue with the credibility of this article.
Can someone tell me how many in number is “several”?
I can't make the math work on several but it's way less than the number of hatchet jobs on Chad that have happened since Port floated him for trade

If there was any sort of correlation between what you deliver out on the footy field and how much footy you watch or take interest in off it then we'd all be playing in the AFL instead of Wingard.

He's played amazing football throughout his career and how many AFL games he did or didn't watch weren't relevant to those performances either.

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
We need to realise with AFL being a professional sport/job, there will be a significant number of people who are good at the job, and will therefore do it, because it's well paid, not because they love (or even like) AFL football. Same as any job/profession out there which pays well.

So no one should be surprised with players who get a large dose of footy through training, playing and everything else surrounding it, being happy to switch off in their own time.

I've always had the belief, that if AFL somehow could no longer pay players big wages, a decent portion of the whole AFL players group would walk away immediately. Some would go to other professional sports (if they were good enough). A lot of others would drop back to playing with their mates or at a local club near their place of work.

No big money = no busting their arses to play high level Aussie Rules.

Chris Judd always struck me as ultra professional, and as someone who had no great love for football (maybe that is just his persona).

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If I was to generalise..

Midfielders= ultra professional, students of the game.
Mercurial fowards= aloof, March to the beat of their own drum but have that extra something you can’t teach.

You just have to let them do things their way, even if it is a little more abstract than the prototype footballer.
Chad is still settling in.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, nice twist, but the word ONLY is wrong here. You should take an interest, if you didn't watch any videos at all on accounting that is different to ONLY watching accounting accounting videos. I disagree with the rhetoric by the way, I don't think it indicates a bad attitude, but the poster didn't say "He should ONLY watch afl" he said he didn't watch ANY afl.

It was a ridiculous comparison anyway, you play footy as a 8-9-10 year old because you literally love it, if you’re lucky enough to have athletic attributes and skill set you can play professionally and earn millions (like Chad). It’s not like as a 7 year old you’re reading the financial times and saying “oh I love company structures, trusts and the thought of working with people to formalise tax responsibilities” lol.

Most guys that play footy love it, they watch it and they are interested in it outside of their own personal ambitions. It’s a wee bit concerning if Chad finds no stimulation from the sport outside of his own on field moments.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That 'public dressing down' with Wingard is such a media beat up. Team mates give immediate feedback BECAUSE IT IS IMMEDIATE! You can either wait 'til the review on the monday when the result is final or you can educate on the spot, (hopefully) evoking a swift response. Wingard is a senior afl footballer, he doesn't need any message to be sugercoated like a first or second-year player. Luke Hodge gave Tom Mitchell a fair old cook during the adelaide game when he was mic'd up and no one seemed to have a problem with that.
This is one of many reasons that fill me with confidence re: Wingard's impact long-term. He will get better because the team demand it. His best mate Impey was metres away and didn't have a problem with it, probably as a result of being on the receiving end of a few home truths himself. And look at the result...Jarman is in career best form and is about a gazillion times the player he was at port.

Missed the game over the weekend as I was out of town. Just watched the ‘dressing down’ - looks like a bunch of team mates having a discussion. Roughy looks like he’s making his point strongly as does Chad - however it hardly looked vicious or uncomfortable. I see players do that on field often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was a ridiculous comparison anyway, you play footy as a 8-9-10 year old because you literally love it, if you’re lucky enough to have athletic attributes and skill set you can play professionally and earn millions (like Chad). It’s not like as a 7 year old you’re reading the financial times and saying “oh I love company structures, trusts and the thought of working with people to formalise tax responsibilities” lol.

Most guys that play footy love it, they watch it and they are interested in it outside of their own personal ambitions. It’s a wee bit concerning if Chad finds no stimulation from the sport outside of his own on field moments.

I love you too tige :thumbsu:. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that it took this long to be on the receving end of one of your little rants, but I still feel special none the less.

Sure, my comparison was not perfect, but the point remains, and I dare say the less snarky readers got the gist of what I was saying. I couldn't give a stuff what Chad does in his spare time and neither should you, in fact it would be verging on wierd if you did. As long he does the job that he is paid to do, when it is time to do it, to the best of his ability and puts in 100% effort, that's all that matters. There is ZERO evidence for anyone to say that he is doing otherwise.

There are a lot of top quality sports people amongst many codes that don't particularly enjoy the sport they play outside of actually playing it.

James Harden spoke earlier this year or late last year about how most NBA players don't actually love basketball. Cam Smith is on record saying he enjoys watching AFL these days more than league. Andre Agassi hated tennis. David Robinson famously decided to forego his drafting into the NBA due to other priorities, and never really loved the sport.

Obviously there are some cases where you might be concerned about the passion for the sport when it manifests in a lack of effort or the way that the person presents themselves, Nick Kyrgios or Bernard Tomic are good examples, but when a player plays with passion and intensity you shouldn't conflate a lack of passion for the sport and lack of passion in competing as being mutually inclusive.

One can be passionate about playing a physical team sport due to innate competitiveness, but they don't have to love the sport itself.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love you too tige :thumbsu:. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that it took this long to be on the receving end of one of your little rants, but I still feel special none the less.

Sure, my comparison was not perfect, but the point remains, and I dare say the less snarky readers got the gist of what I was saying. I couldn't give a stuff what Chad does in his spare time and neither should you, in fact it would be verging on wierd if you did. As long he does the job that he is paid to do, when it is time to do it, to the best of his ability and puts in 100% effort, that's all that matters. There is ZERO evidence for anyone to say that he is doing otherwise.

Hahaha you misconstrue rants as being direct, I don’t discriminate on posters... I’ll give you a tap on the arse and a wink when you post something of value 😜

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are a lot of top quality sports people amongst many codes that don't particularly enjoy the sport they play outside of actually playing it.

James Harden spoke earlier this year or late last year about how most NBA players don't actually love basketball. Cam Smith is on record saying he enjoys watching AFL these days more than league. Andre Agassi hated tennis. David Robinson famously decided to forego his drafting into the NBA due to other priorities, and never really loved the sport.

Obviously there are some cases where you might be concerned about the passion for the sport when it manifests in a lack of effort or the way that the person presents themselves, Nick Kyrgios or Bernard Tomic are good examples, but when a player plays with passion and intensity you shouldn't conflate a lack of passion for the sport and lack of passion in competing as being mutually inclusive.

One can be passionate about playing a physical team sport due to innate competitiveness, but they don't have to love the sport itself.

You sure nba players don’t love the game? Does Harden speak on behalf of everyone?

https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/01/nba-stars-explain-their-love-of-the-game.aspx

I went to listen to Kobe talk about life and sport and business when he was in Melbourne, his love for the sport was palpable, the guy lived and breathed basketball.

No one starts playing sport because they don’t have some sort of deep connection or affinity for it, that’s just not true. I agree, as you get older the same excitement and pure love may dwindle but there’s always a connection.

You sure nba players don’t love the game? Does Harden speak on behalf of everyone?

https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/01/nba-stars-explain-their-love-of-the-game.aspx

I went to listen to Kobe talk about life and sport and business when he was in Melbourne, his love for the sport was palpable, the guy lived and breathed basketball.

No one starts playing sport because they don’t have some sort of deep connection or affinity for it, that’s just not true. I agree, as you get older the same excitement and pure love may dwindle but there’s always a connection.
Yeah i'm not sure cyril gave footy a second thought once he went home from training or a game. But yes they love playing it and know they are good at it

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hahaha you misconstrue rants as being direct, I don’t discriminate on posters... I’ll give you a tap on the arse and a wink when you post something of value 😜
Being direct and ranting are not mutually exclusive. You happen to be awesome at combining the two. We all know what we are going to get from you tige, and I, for one, like it.

Okay, thanks for linking an article about NBA players loving to play the game which is exactly my point. They like hooping, competing. To quote myself:

"There are a lot of top quality sports people amongst many codes that don't particularly enjoy the sport they play outside of actually playing it."

I would argue that there aren't too many sports people in general that sit down and enjoy watching the sport that they play. Most seem not to. Again - you can be passionate about the competition, passionate about that game at the point you are playing it, but you might not live for it outside of playing it.

Obviously there will always be outliers like Kobe Bryant who was fanatical about his preparation in every single way, but that's not the standard. It's more likely to burn most out than help.

If not living and breathing footy helps Chad enjoy it and play his best, there shouldn't be an expectation that he burns himself out and turn AFL into an all consuming job that he grows to resent.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
I think Chad needs to spend some time in the middle to find some touch. He’s definitely a confidence player and there’s no doubt when he isn’t getting his hands on the ball things don’t flow for him. I get that you need to buy into the pressure game, but this is a guy who’s best work is done with ball in hand.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Being direct and ranting are not mutually exclusive. You happen to be awesome at combining the two. We all know what we are going to get from you tige, and I, for one, like it.

I like you to mate... you can't take this place to seriously, its just called brilliant zone out for me during the days 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back