Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

I can't make the math work on several but it's way less than the number of hatchet jobs on Chad that have happened since Port floated him for trade

Which came from the pro Hawthorn and pro Crow media in an effort to drive his price down.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You sure nba players don’t love the game? Does Harden speak on behalf of everyone?

https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/01/nba-stars-explain-their-love-of-the-game.aspx

I went to listen to Kobe talk about life and sport and business when he was in Melbourne, his love for the sport was palpable, the guy lived and breathed basketball.

No one starts playing sport because they don’t have some sort of deep connection or affinity for it, that’s just not true. I agree, as you get older the same excitement and pure love may dwindle but there’s always a connection.
Just from my own experience I have played basketball my whole life for many teams, I've been a coach a player a ref. A star player and a bench warmer. I've played at a pretty high level (VBL).

Basketball is my favourite sport to play, I love it. I love training, I love shooting hoops at the park I love playing in high pressure games and winning finals.

I do not watch professional basketball, I have been to like 3 nbl matches and watched only a handful of games start to finish. I can not get into watching the NBA.

As a fan it's all about football, I watch every hawthorn game and as many box Hill games as I can. I watch neutral afl, vfl and aflw games. And occasionally go to vafa games and will go to all finals Ormond are in.

It's obvious watching Chad play that he loves it. He may not be a spectator but he plays with passion, loves the big moments and is a star player. 25 and already 2x AA, give him time and he and the coaches will learn how to get him making maximum impact.

Which came from the pro Hawthorn and pro Crow media in an effort to drive his price down.
Cornes must not have got the memo then......

Cornes must not have got the memo then......
How do you mean? Sorry, he spouts so much crap that I don't know what you are referring to.

How do you mean? Sorry, he spouts so much crap that I don't know what you are referring to.
He and others linked to Port have been lining up to pot Chad since the club floated the idea of trading him.

Talking about his attitude, his issues, and they've continued right on through, almost like they were asked to convince the supporters that getting rid of him was the right idea.....

He and others linked to Port have been lining up to pot Chad since the club floated the idea of trading him.

Talking about his attitude, his issues, and they've continued right on through, almost like they were asked to convince the supporters that getting rid of him was the right idea.....
Ah yes, no doubt that was to appease our fans as well.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just from my own experience I have played basketball my whole life for many teams, I've been a coach a player a ref. A star player and a bench warmer. I've played at a pretty high level (VBL).

Basketball is my favourite sport to play, I love it. I love training, I love shooting hoops at the park I love playing in high pressure games and winning finals.

I do not watch professional basketball, I have been to like 3 nbl matches and watched only a handful of games start to finish. I can not get into watching the NBA.

As a fan it's all about football, I watch every hawthorn game and as many box Hill games as I can. I watch neutral afl, vfl and aflw games. And occasionally go to vafa games and will go to all finals Ormond are in.

It's obvious watching Chad play that he loves it. He may not be a spectator but he plays with passion, loves the big moments and is a star player. 25 and already 2x AA, give him time and he and the coaches will learn how to get him making maximum impact.

I love Chad, I don't hold the doubts many others do

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not judging him on performance, as obviously he missed a fair chunk of the preseason. And yes, it's fair to suggest it may take time to work out how to play to Clarko's system. Maybe it will take a season. But, I will raise concerns over his attitude absolutely.

This has been a knock on him coming over. History is very much a pretty good indicator of future behaviour. In one instance he is pretty outrageous in his goal celebration, a look at me type set-up, and then in other instances he is flying for marks one handed. Unlike others, I also think it's not great he is being challenged by senior players so early into his time with HFC, when you would hope he is trying to win these blokes over through effort and work rate.

In short, I think concerns it is about 'the Chad' as opposed to playing his role are valid. It's an attitude not output thing for me. He has a history of concerns over work-rate and attitude, nothing I have seen so far has dispelled that.

Last edited:
Unlike others, I also think it's not great he is being challenged by senior players so early into his time with HFC, when you would hope he is trying to win these blokes over through effort and work rate.

I doubt he was being challenged over effort and workrate. Looked entirely about structures. Understandable that they (Rough and Poppy) would be upset, but equally understandable that he might do the wrong thing despite his best efforts.

I've occasionally been close enough at Hawthorn training to hear the forwards talking to each other about set-ups. It's like the Enigma code. The sort of thing might take ages to become instinctive.

There's no doubt there was a concerted effort from club-aligned media spokespersons to illustrate to our supporters why we traded him; he was the opposite of a whipping boy at Port, he could s**t on a baby and 90% of Port supporters would still be rocking his number on their back next year.

Most supporters were against the idea, and even if we were to believe he was as sloppy in his standards as we were being told then the question remains why was he never dropped?

I don't think he's ever had the kind of heat from his own fanbase / the media that he's getting right now.. let's hope it spurs a second wind for his career.

Last edited:
when it comes to port & hawthorn trades i think meatloaf said it best with "2 out of 3 aint bad"
Oh I don't know, Gilham, Dew, Guerra, Burgoyne got 7 flags out of it. Though Goo did come via St Kilda, remarkable really.

Chad has plenty of time to join the club

rjslcM

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2008
Glen Waverly
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia, Roger Federer.
when it comes to port & hawthorn trades i think meatloaf said it best with "2 out of 3 aint bad"

4 x premiership player P14 (Birchall) for Lonie in 2005 was pretty good

4 x premiership player Shaun Burgoyne for Moore & P16 (Pittard) in 2009 was pretty good

3 x premiership player P33 (Brad Hill) for Renouf in 2011 was pretty good

Impey has been solid so far

Seem to get the most out of the player/pick we receive from PA.
Expecting Chad to continue this wonderful tradition

Adebisi

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure we need Chad losing a season here. For Burton and all the picks we gave up...it will be quite one sided if we end up getting 4-6 good seasons out of him. Don’t have time to waste in him finding his best form.
Surely not the calf again...have we got any confirmation on this?

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure we need Chad losing a season here. For Burton and all the picks we gave up...it will be quite one sided if we end up getting 4-6 good seasons out of him. Don’t have time to waste in him finding his best form.

Media seem to be reporting minor hamstring.

Squad announcement said hamstring soreness

Damn...how many hammies is that for the squad this year Gralin?
Minchington, Chip, Burgoyne, Shiels, Chad. Missing any others here?
Well depends on whether he's actually got a tear or just some awareness

Pretty sure Ross pinged one in the VFL the other week?

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
4 x premiership player P14 (Birchall) for Lonie in 2005 was pretty good

4 x premiership player Shaun Burgoyne for Moore & P16 (Pittard) in 2009 was pretty good

3 x premiership player P33 (Brad Hill) for Renouf in 2011 was pretty good

Impey has been solid so far

Seem to get the most out of the player/pick we receive from PA.
Expecting Chad to continue this wonderful tradition
you forgot clarkson

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Let's play the long game guys. Patience

Watch him build fitness then move into midfield.

This was never going to be a 2019 results driven project.

Port have gotten more out of Burton and Duursma (who is young enough to be dating a high school girl) than we have Chad. I think it's quite reasonable for Hawthorn supporters to be frustrated by how this has gone so far.

Back