Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Widely accepted by who and based on what?

Really?? Why else would Port Adelaide be so eager to offload such a prodigiously talented player ? - it’s clearly not because he can’t play!

Why are so many people in friggin denial of the pretty obvious fact there something amiss with wingards attitude??

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck - you know the rest...

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really?? Why else would Port Adelaide be so eager to offload such a prodigiously talented player ? - it’s clearly not because he can’t play!

Why are so many people in friggin denial of the pretty obvious fact there something amiss with wingards attitude??

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck - you know the rest...
Were they? Willing isnt the word that comes to mind regret would be closer.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, not getting into this with you again brother. You lack the balance to engage with.
He didn't get along with everyone at Port. There were some players and an assistant coach or two that had issues with him.
He doesn't live just for footy. He trains but he's not the hardest trainer. He hung out with his mates more than his team mates. He's a different cat to most.
Those were the issues I've heard brought up a lot.

We've had plenty of champions who didn't get along with each other or coaches, who weren't the hardest trainers and who had lives outside of footy.

Been a few brownlow medallists that match that description too.

Clarko wanted him and Hinkley didn't want to lose him.

I get having reservations but most of what you're talking about I've seen coming from Cornes (his brother being one of those assistants) and other Port mouthpieces post trade, and angry supporters.

The rumblings were nowhere near as loud before he left though the tension was real

Seriously, you’re just trolling this board.
It’s so obvious.

Or you’re just an idiot.

I prefer the latter.
Or they really believe what they posted and aren't either of the things you're accusing them of.

He wasn't replying to you though...

Unless you're also OnceKicked50?
No but we are getting a little tribal on each other in here

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Ken Hinkley told the board he was getting sick and tired of trying to get Chad up emotionally engaged for games every second week! He was over putting up a rocket up his arse to get him involved in games. Chad wasn’t very liked by Boak and Gray so, Ken had qualified senior back up. Once Chad was told about all this, he cracked the shits and stated to send out the feelers to see what Port’s reaction was going to be, but he got ‘crickets’, the club already had moved on so out of spite Chad started to talk to other clubs and landed on our laps. This is why I made the comment during pre- season that Chad needed to stop talking about port and move on! He hasn’t, but he will, just needs time imo.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He didn't get along with everyone at Port. There were some players and an assistant coach or two that had issues with him.
He doesn't live just for footy. He trains but he's not the hardest trainer. He hung out with his mates more than his team mates. He's a different cat to most.
Those were the issues I've heard brought up a lot.

We've had plenty of champions who didn't get along with each other or coaches, who weren't the hardest trainers and who had lives outside of footy.

Been a few brownlow medallists that match that description too.

Clarko wanted him and Hinkley didn't want to lose him.

I get having reservations but most of what you're talking about I've seen coming from Cornes (his brother being one of those assistants) and other Port mouthpieces post trade, and angry supporters.

The rumblings were nowhere near as loud before he left though the tension was real

Good post mate. Good insight.

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In fairness, Wingard is exactly the sort of player that would irk Cornes. Cornes is still probably fitter than him and probably would have won a couple of Brownlows with Wingard's skills. It tickles me a bit that even Clarko hasn't been able to beat the premadona out of him, but I don't think you have seen anywhere near the best of him yet. He might not have missed many games over the last 5 years, but he was notorious for getting injured 4-6 weeks before the start of the season. As long as his hammy isn't completely ******, he will build into the season like he always does.
Ken Hinkley told the board he was getting sick and tired of trying to get Chad up emotionally engaged for games every second week! He was over putting up a rocket up his arse to get him involved in games. Chad wasn’t very liked by Boak and Gray so, Ken had qualified senior back up. Once Chad was told about all this, he cracked the shits and stated to send out the feelers to see what Port’s reaction was going to be, but he got ‘crickets’, the club already had moved on so out of spite Chad started to talk to other clubs and landed on our laps. This is why I made the comment during pre- season that Chad needed to stop talking about port and move on! He hasn’t, but he will, just needs time imo.

A few things I know for fact... KH never “put rockets up Chads arse”.... and in fact was quite the opposite. The issue was absolutely between C Cornes & Wingard... as it was CC & Burgs.
Wingard absolutely took offence to Cornes onfield sprays.

Chad and Travis at no stage fell out. Funnily enough R Gray watches way more NBL than AFL.
I’ve seen some criticism of Chad not watching enough AFL... in the club I know... I’d say 65-70% wouldn’t watch more than one game per weekend and same amount wouldn’t know who had won or lost.

Port were stunned yes by Chads request... they most certainly hadn’t “moved on”.... they weren’t looking at anyone as Rocky & Lycett had committed ages before.

I really can’t believe people just plain make s**t up.

He currently has a very minor Soft tissue injury.

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And Burton has now cost Port with his well known/cant be coached fat headed ill discipline v Richmond that did see him cop an earful.
He twinkle toed his way through the Pies match and his suspect body has broken down again.

For all those bemoaning his loss... Scrimmers will be double the player without the FIGJAM attitude, with a sound body... an ability to crack in & body the ball... at half the cost.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
A few things I know for fact... KH never “put rockets up Chads arse”.... and in fact was quite the opposite. The issue was absolutely between C Cornes & Wingard... as it was CC & Burgs.
Wingard absolutely took offence to Cornes onfield sprays.

Chad and Travis at no stage fell out. Funnily enough R Gray watches way more NBL than AFL.
I’ve seen some criticism of Chad not watching enough AFL... in the club I know... I’d say 65-70% wouldn’t watch more than one game per weekend and same amount wouldn’t know who had won or lost.

Port were stunned yes by Chads request... they most certainly hadn’t “moved on”.... they weren’t looking at anyone as Rocky & Lycett had committed ages before.

I really can’t believe people just plain make **** up.

He currently has a very minor Soft tissue injury.
Sorry mate but you are wrong about Ken and his list of problems he told the board and Chad about CHAD.

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry mate but you are wrong about Ken and his list of problems he told the board and Chad about CHAD.

Oh yes... the“Post season dressing down”. The Kane Cornes/Michelangelo Rucci widely spread fable.....to the gulliable (about to lose another favourite son to Hawthorn) supporter base.
Ps. I’m not wrong. PR bullshit at its finest.

Knowing Sizzlesilk personally, and for as long as I have, I very much doubt that he is wrong.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve been watching this thread for a couple of weeks now and I’m astounded at the number of ridiculous, sooky posts I’ve seen from so called “supporters”.

What has Chad done to this point in his time at Hawthorn to suggest there are any issues with his character or attitude?!

Even if there are issues with his attitude, have you not learned from even the most recent history that our club is more than capable of managing these issues? As others have pointed out, Brian Lake rolled into Hawthorn with a far worse attitude than Chad has. Look how that worked out!

And those who are criticising him because he doesn’t spend 90% of his life watching football are just plain delusional. The most ironic part about this is that early in the season Chad actually said in an interview that he HAD started watching more footy since coming to Hawthorn, to try and help his transition into the team.

This bloke has only played 5 games for our footy club and without him we wouldn’t have won 2 of them. We don’t beat North or Carlton without him in the side. Who would you be scapegoating if we were 2-6 and Chad wasn’t playing??

Personally, I’ve been quite impressed with his efforts so far in what has largely been a dysfunctional team. His defensive efforts and pressure have been better than I expected too. What people need to realise is that we recruited Chad as an impact player who will turn games with a few key moments, exactly like Cyril did. Don’t expect him to get 25 touches and 3 goals every week, that’s not what Clarko is trying to get out of him.

I’m not expecting to see the best of him until next year, or at the very least until after the bye. So chill the f*** out and trust in our great club. In time you will come to love him.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just thought I should jump in here and post that Chad will be a star for Hawthorn so that I look like a genius, and you all look like fools when this thread gets bumped inevitably at the end of this year, and then countless times over the next 5 years as he puts in match winning performances and big finals games.

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Well what a poor leader of a club he is then. A list the length of your arm of problems about one player... (who doesn’t do preseasons... doesn’t train... has poor relationships with coaches & team mates... doesn’t watch footy...plays too much x box..) in a season that you finish well down the ladder... and you never ONCE make a statement by dropping him or punishing him.
Says a lot more about Hinkley than the player I’d think.The board must surely have Hinkley on notice for gifting the player 21 matches last year. And what does it say about Clarko & our disgraceful lack of due diligence?
When did he write this “list”? About Oct 11 me thinks.

Last edited:

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well what a poor leader of a club he is then. A list the length of your arm of problems about one player... (who doesn’t do preseasons... doesn’t train... has poor relationships with coaches & team mates... doesn’t watch footy...plays too much x box..) in a season that you finish well down the ladder... and you never ONCE make a statement by dropping him or punishing him.
Says a lot more about Hinkley than the player I’d think.The board must surely have Hinkley on notice for gifting the player 21 matches last year. And what does it say about Clarko & our disgraceful lack of due diligence?
When did he write this “list”? About Oct 11 me thinks.
Exactly, that's why all that other s**t is nonsense. Don't get me wrong maybe he watches no footy & has poor relationships with some coaches but if he's playing 21 games & not being dropped then its hard to see that he is that much of a problem at all.

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
The Cornes family are a cancer to the Port club, they have created a clique from the playing days, hence why we ended up with Silk and Peter retired. It was and still is by my understanding the Cornes way or the highway. Long may they reign over the Powder, as there will always be dis-unity whilst those knob gobblers have influence.

I for one cant' wait until Chad sticks it right up them just as Silk has done.

Arc1

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m not frustrated at all at this point.

Seems to me Chad is not really “getting it” in terms of our forward setup (and frankly, does anyone really at the moment?) - often seems to end up seagulling around not quite sure where to run, apart from 5 minutes of brilliance.

From an injury perspective, well, that’s footy and we have to manage through it.

In terms of his attitude, he’s always come across as a complete FIGJAM... again it’s not like the club didn’t know that. Look at how we all felt about Sicily and his antics, and look how he’s coming along. Culture is pretty powerful, but it’s not instant.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Meh its the ghost of Tyrone Vickery at play. An entire Richmond fanbase ridiculed our selection and they were right. HFC got that one very wrong. Similar undertones with Chad. People get a bit nervous.

Meh its the ghost of Tyrone Vickery at play. An entire Richmond fanbase ridiculed our selection and they were right. HFC got that one very wrong. Similar undertones with Chad. People get a bit nervous.

Gotta love that the club gets it right with Gibson, Hale, Lake, Dew, Spangher, Burgoyne, Impey, Mitchell, O’Meara, Henderson, McEvoy etc - but get it wrong with Vickery and now every recruit must be treated with trepidation. Makes perfect sense.

Back